soft contacts for snorkeling - don't you think this sounds like a good idea?

J

joyannie

I'm planning on trying this in December when we go on our first ever cruise - a 4 day Wonder(ful) cruise!!!!!!! I wear gas permeable contacts because of astigmatism, so I'm BLIND when I go snorkeling. I remember hearing about offers of "try soft contacts for free". I'm going to ask my eye Dr. to please give me a pair of soft contacts to try that are as close to my prescription as possible. I'll be able to see while snorkeling!!!!!!! Luckily my eldest daughter wears soft lenses so can help me with the insertion and removal. Sound like a plan doesn't it?!?!?!?!?!? I'm so glad to finally have something to share after reading SO MANY great ideas from all of you!

Joyannie,
I'm wondering why you don't just wear your regular gas permeable contact lenses with the snorkel mask? I've snorkeled several times, and I've always just left my contacts in. (Believe me, I'm BLIND without them!) When you are fitted for your snorkel mask, the standard is to have you suck air in your nose, and if the mask stays in place, then it fits and is watertight. Even if a drop or two gets in the mask, it would still be impossible to "wash out" your contact lenses. I would wear them confidently!

I have astigmatism too, so I've been told that's why I have to have the hard lenses, not soft. So you may not be able to find a prescription that will work with your eye shape.

Another thought is to order your own mask from a diver's shop with your eyewear prescription - I understand they're cheaper than you'd expect.

Just a couple of suggestions! Have a great cruise!

Sounds like a plan. When we first cruised 18 months ago, I went back to my eye doc and got fitted for disposable soft lenses. I purchased a 30 day supply and planned to wear them every day on the cruise. I still have half of that supply left and used them recently on our 2nd 7-day cruise. It makes a world of difference when you can see while snorkeling. If the disposables work for you, they are relatively inexpensive online.

Bon voyage!!!

In the past, I too have worn my gas perms while snorkeling. However, I was lazy about wearing them at home and didn't like to take the time to get used to them again before I cruise. I did soft contacts once, and it worked out well, but last January I got Lasik and I LOVE it!!!! No more fussing with contacts/glasses. If you can possibly do it, I strongly recommend it. Poor hubby can't, as he has flat corneas. :(
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Barb:
I was just about to say the same thing!!!

I was a -13 which is as bad as it gets, slight astig too! Soft contacts snorkeling was ok but still worried, sand etc

Got LASIK 3 yrs ago, can swim, dive, snorkel everything! Even go on roller coasters without a worry!

1 month ago my husband got it done!

If you're able to get it, it's worthy every penny

Originally posted by atigeg
In the past, I too have worn my gas perms while snorkeling. However, I was lazy about wearing them at home and didn't like to take the time to get used to them again before I cruise. I did soft contacts once, and it worked out well, but last January I got Lasik and I LOVE it!!!! No more fussing with contacts/glasses. If you can possibly do it, I strongly recommend it. Poor hubby can't, as he has flat corneas. :(
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I also had that done about 3 years ago, the BEST thing I ever did!!! BUT...before I had it done I liked to snorkle and couldn't see THING without glasses and just didn't do well with contacts so I bought a snorkle and had it fitted with perscription lens's.....they worked GREAT

Hubby and I love to snorkel, and I too am blind as a bat without my contacts, I've never taken them out while snorkeling....what would be the use of going, I couldn't see a darn thing. I have disposable contacts and always bring along an extra pair just in case something happens, have never had to use them yet!!

It's a good idea to get a trial pair of the soft contacts, in case you accidently lose them, especially since at the most they'll probably only cost you shipping if even that.

Incidentally, I've got astig in both eyes and my opthamologist found a disposable soft contact that corrects for it. They are wonderful and not that expensive either. I've worn soft contacts for at least 15 years snorkling and scuba diving and the only problem I've ever had is the burning, till enough tears are produced, when your mask is completly flooded with salt water.

If you want to wear the hard lens snorkling that is okay, but do not wear the hard lenses while scuba diving.

B

I had laser eye surgery done about 2 years ago and it was the greatest thing I have ever done for myself. It was worth every dime. It's so nice to wake up in the morning and be able to see the clock across the room! It makes going to the beach so much easier. I don't have to worry about bringing solution and my glasses where ever I go. If you are a candidate, I definitely recommend it.

Just wanted to give you a different idea.....at our local Sports Authority, they have three different strengths of perscription diving masks. The cost was around $40-45. My DH needs his glasses 24/7 and can not insert contact lenses. He went to a dive shop and purchased a custom perscription mask...a few years ago, but I think it was around $75.00.

If you can wear contacts, that is the way to go....no fumbling for glasses whenyou take a perscriptin mask off!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter