Social Disney-ing...a Feb/March 2021 Chunky Birthday trip! COMPLETED 8/28!!

We arrived at Disney Springs and I wasn't actually planning on going to Gideon's but I guess since we were there we decided to check out the wait. The line extended to Morimoto Asia! They said it would be an hour so Steve said he was ok waiting if I got him a Starbucks so I did just that then walked around while he waited in line.
Wow, that is some line. Any chance Steve can go wait in line for me now so I can get them in a few weeks :earboy2:

Well, I thought it was good, but not great. The first bite is all chocolate chips. Then as you get closer to the center it tastes more like raw cookie dough, which is great if you like that sort of thing, but I prefer my cookies to have a nice chewy consistency instead of just crumbly dough
I cannot wait to try these but I would eat cookie dough over an actual cookie any day of the week so it sounds right up my alley.

And the funniest thing is how they spelled my name on the ticket. Those who know me - this isn't my name at all it's a very strange butchery of it. LOL. Not sure where they got it from!

ACtC-3eE3wvQC7ICXCY32P7y1hHuRspsthIkxqs8aEfRuUXeEvCQikgMyTJj5KKygYbape3Wue22OIQwMVhn3r0Agbp0gr259gcEEe-cWSfNB59wVDZwW7AwPSjPlcULP7WMKDcwxHfmMLLxhHMEu-5dQuq_hg=w387-h516-no
:rotfl2: It reads more like sullen and nothing close to your actual name. I mean how hard is it to spell chunkymoney???

But that day was for Flower and Garden, which means eating, our favorite activity, YAY!
Yay for eating!!!! And don't forget drinking too. A very close second in my book.

I decided to do the Garden Graze Menu challenge again, where you get a stamp for 5 specific items (they are all vegan I believe) and you get a prize in the end. It's the same prize as last year, which was the Lime Dole Whip in the souvenir cup with a bag of basil seeds.
I hadn't read about this before but it sounds like a lot of fun. Where did you get the menu?

At America I stopeed by the Magnolia Terrace booth to get the Cajun-style Roasted Oysters which I had last year and were amazing, but unfortunately this year, they were kinda sad and dry. I've heard and read the same thing among other reviews so maybe the batch i got last year was the exception. I do not recommend unless they find a better way to heat and serve without the oysters getting dry.
I was so looking forward to these but it sounds like a hard pass. We had some roasted oysters in California a few years back that I still dream about. These sounded very similar but dry and oysters should never be in the same sentence.

I haven't been on the boards much recently, but I just found your trip report and have really enjoyed it. I just haven't wanted to since I have had no idea when we will be able to get back to Disney (just haven't been comfortable travelling since the pandemic started). We're considering going in October, so I'm ready to start reading trip reports again. I think I've read all of your other trip reports (I just don't usually post much). I love your Mickey necklace!

I would love to see the inside of Gideon's, but there is no way I'd wait that long especially since I think I would agree with your opinion of the chocolate chip cookies. The Flower and Garden food looks great except for the oysters. I usually love oysters, but those do look sad.

so I got some shrimp: Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut-Lime Sauce. This is a favorite of mine!

Yummmm!! That sounds so good!

It doesn't strike me as particularly Japanese aside from the soy-braising so I consider this is nice East meets West fusion dish.

I was just thinking that when I read your description...still sounds good though!

It was very good and so pretty! It had a strong flavor of goat cheese but I liked how fresh everything tasted.

That did look so pretty!! Makes it much more appealing!!

We got to sleep in since Epcot opens at 11am, but we didn't expect the Skyliner to have such a huge line to Epcot.

It's been like that for park opening every time I've gone since Covid. Sucks. I put up with it a couple times last trip, then gave up and went with Lyft after that.

But I heard that it is different now because they have started sharing cabins again (can anyone confirm this?).

Yes, please, we need confirmers!!

I started with a drink, because, why not?
LOL!! I did too- but went with champagne.
I decided to do the Garden Graze Menu challenge again, where you get a stamp for 5 specific items (they are all vegan I believe) and you get a prize in the end.
I always wish there were 5 items I'd like all of, but there's always at least one or two that just don't sound appealing. Ah well.

We explored a bit of Morrocco. It's really empty back there, it was like a ghost town almost! Still really pretty.

ACtC-3coZnb3Ab5kP5XFON91pLSt5cv0wd81S0OUfZ794l68-P8aDIrvTqw2E_L2BUizeD9PMyQUejPyP0tPuLJCSy671OtSQf_h0DLEhOy7u2L3AK6xSqBJiupIFi2uI_G2V-M6CCnGwD6PNNQnGR64oYIXJQ=w585-h779-no
RIGHT?! We were completely alone back there and I finally got some good shots without being all people-y.

When we got to Italy I had to get an Italian Margarita,

This is a MUST next trip. Well, that an affogado!

We also had to do the Spike's Pollenation Exploration. The prizes are a set of two melamine plates. It's my first time doing these sort of scavenger hunt challenges. Fun!

Adore these games!!
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Thanks for linking me to this! It will take me a while to catch up! I'll put your dates in my phone and we'll definitely meet up for a drink and some rides in September!

Now that is a good tank!
That line is crazy! It should be constantly loading, but... if it's loading upstream... yeah, you're gonna wait. Maybe needs some kinks worked out.
IT usually is constantly loading since you used to have to share cabins...heard it's back that way again but I guess we will find out soon!
Like that second one. :)
Thanks!
You ate your favourite activity?!?
Is that like a double negative? :magnify:
::yes:: I think Disney has clued in how much people like this merch.
Totally!
You had me right up until coconut...
But it really doesn't taste like coconut!
And that sounded even better. Shame it wasn't up to the same standard as last time you had it.
Sigh it was sooo good last year...
You're on vacation! Stop working!
But everyone keeps giving me homework!
So... is there plexi between 1st and 2nd rows?
Nope not on test track!
:goodvibes

And some really nice photos too!
Thank you!
Super cute :love:
Thank you!
I love all of it…it was hard to control myself!
Everything was so cute! I stopped buying so much stuff because I have too many random Disney tchotchkes at home!
I snagged us breakfast reservations for August but Allie isn't loving the menu so we might ditch. Maybe have to try again with Mike for October ::yes::
Oh you must keep it! It is so good! And they can literally make anything she wants! She can have an omelette with something else even if they don't have it on the menu. I love it so much! My favorite meal!

Yay! I made it back and through the first page/update.

Good idea about upgrading to first class for little money! Since we fly SW no option for that there! :lmao: Then again we buy the middle seat so we don't worry about that part.

So you liked the Riviera? I guess it was nice, but I have other favorites. The studio looks so small compared to the one bedroom.

What a nice gift from your family! OK off to read a bit more!

Already done with page 3! You guys really packed things in that morning! Sounds like crowds were fairly light, at least with being able to ride SDD twice and TSMM. I found we were really out of practice tok, but our scores are never nearly as good as yours.

Topolino's looks great! We only had dinner there, someday we will get back there for Brunch.

OK got to get a start on the day. We're going to Disney!

I can't wait to try Toppolinos! I'm hoping to do brunch there this summer. The Riviera is so beautiful...

I appreciate your review of Gideon's. When I was in Disney Springs at the end of April, we got on the virtual line for Gideon's in the afternoon, their estimated wait time was over 3.5 hours! I was not too surprised, but when you are standing there trying to decide if its worth it to wait that long for cookies, you start thinking lol. I do want to try it, and next time I am in Disney Springs I will try to make it work, but I have heard similar reviews to what you have said regarding the taste of the actual cookies, so I'm wondering how much I will like them!

Those are the new barges and water feature for Harmonio-us, that new show coming to Epcot. I just hope it's better than Epcot Forever, but nothing in my heart can replace Illuminations! The barges are a bit of an eyesore and it definitely blocks the view around the lagoon as well as Spaceship Earth depending on where you're standing.

Huh. I will miss Illuminations as well. Has Florida started Nighttime Spectaculars?

I met my friend Liz over in Japan. We've been trying to meet up for 2 years and finally we did! And the coolest thing is, we have the SAME birthday! So awesome to finally meet her and on our birthday no less!

How cool!

Steve actually pointed out this butterfly wing mural and suggested I take a picture.

You and Liesa take a lot of these pictures! Very cute! I don't even notice them in the parks!

Now they have started seating in every row and also installed plexiglass between each row. This ride though is soo wonky as the plexiglass is always fogged up and dirty you can't really see anything straight ahead unless you're in the front row!

Ewwww. :eek: That sounds gross.

I don't think I'm ready for Florida's lax attitude towards safety. Although California may go the same route after June 15. I hope not.

So fun! Although I do miss designing my car and getting negative efficiency and 200% power, lol.

That's half the fun of the ride. :sad2:

Soon we got on a bus and was on our way to MK! The bus driver assigns you to a section of the bus with numbered seats. There is no longer any standing room anymore. So far we've not had to wait for another bus if one got full. I expect that will change once crowds increase. Hope the bus frequency increases too.

I wonder how that would effect us considering we take up six seats between the two of us in our scooters. I like no more standing room though.

That is my favorite festival drink. )
Mine too!
Love your Epcot Views pics!!
Thank you! I can look at that view any day!
Wow, that is some line. Any chance Steve can go wait in line for me now so I can get them in a few weeks :earboy2:
Oooh you are going!! Have fun!
I would just put your name on the virtual queue and go someplace to eat at DS. Maybe in a few hours you will actually get to enter!
I cannot wait to try these but I would eat cookie dough over an actual cookie any day of the week so it sounds right up my alley.
It totally sounds like your kind of cookie!!
:rotfl2: It reads more like sullen and nothing close to your actual name. I mean how hard is it to spell chunkymoney???
Right? I don't understand.
😆
Yay for eating!!!! And don't forget drinking too. A very close second in my book.
Oh yes for sure! Hehe
I hadn't read about this before but it sounds like a lot of fun. Where did you get the menu?
It's printed on the back of the festival booklet!
I was so looking forward to these but it sounds like a hard pass. We had some roasted oysters in California a few years back that I still dream about. These sounded very similar but dry and oysters should never be in the same sentence.
Yeah I would definitely give these a pass.
I haven't been on the boards much recently, but I just found your trip report and have really enjoyed it. I just haven't wanted to since I have had no idea when we will be able to get back to Disney (just haven't been comfortable travelling since the pandemic started). We're considering going in October, so I'm ready to start reading trip reports again. I think I've read all of your other trip reports (I just don't usually post much). I love your Mickey necklace!
Thank you so much and welcome to the TR!!
The traveling part is a little crazy. From Newark to Orlando it's fine, but Orlando back home...lemme just say MCO was not pleasant at all. Back in Aug and Nov they were not enforcing masks and everyone was just all over the place...ugh. I detest flying back so much! Hopefully it is better now but who knows, with the state opening up it could be a free for all! I am returning in July for a weekend and I'll see how it is.
My necklace is from Arribas Bros. It's my favorite necklace!
I would love to see the inside of Gideon's, but there is no way I'd wait that long especially since I think I would agree with your opinion of the chocolate chip cookies. The Flower and Garden food looks great except for the oysters. I usually love oysters, but those do look sad.
Yeah definitely the virtual line is a good timesaver but you have to be prepared to spend a couple of hours in Disney Springs. But if you were gonig to eat and shop there anyways, it is probably worth it to try once (or for that PB cold brew!)
Yup the oysters are just not cutting it this year. Maybe you have to be one of the first in line to get a freshly cooked one, or else they just get stale and sad.

Yummmm!! That sounds so good!
It's a festival favorite!
That did look so pretty!! Makes it much more appealing!!
Yes and for pretty pictures!
It's been like that for park opening every time I've gone since Covid. Sucks. I put up with it a couple times last trip, then gave up and went with Lyft after that.
Yeah good idea, although I heard there is a ride share shortage now so you may end up waiting for a car anyways!
LOL!! I did too- but went with champagne.
:thumbsup2
I always wish there were 5 items I'd like all of, but there's always at least one or two that just don't sound appealing. Ah well.
True, I wasn't too keen on some of them but it was still fun to do!
RIGHT?! We were completely alone back there and I finally got some good shots without being all people-y.
Yes! Wonder if that will change soon.
This is a MUST next trip. Well, that an affogado!
Yum! Where can you get an affogado?
Adore these games!!
They are so cute and fun!
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!
Love that view!

Thanks for linking me to this! It will take me a while to catch up! I'll put your dates in my phone and we'll definitely meet up for a drink and some rides in September!
YAY! I can't wait! Avengers Campus looks so fun! I hope the crowds this Sept are the same as Sept 2019. I remember going on Smugglers Run like 5 times because it was a walk on!
Good idea about upgrading to first class for little money! Since we fly SW no option for that there! :lmao: Then again we buy the middle seat so we don't worry about that part.
It was a nice treat! Sadly prices have been rising so it's not looking too good for our upcoming trips. I did book first class on the way back from Florida because MCO is always a madhouse and I just need something to look forward to when going home!
So you liked the Riviera? I guess it was nice, but I have other favorites. The studio looks so small compared to the one bedroom.
We think it's really nice and Steve loves the gym and the quick service. I love Topolino's too and the quiet pool is nice. I definitely would look into getting DVC there but that damn skyliner has been having issues lately I don't think it's a good investment, LOL.
I know you are not a fan of the skyliner since you have to ride separately, but I'd prefer riding separately than sharing with others!
What a nice gift from your family! OK off to read a bit more!
It was a really lovely surprise!
Already done with page 3! You guys really packed things in that morning! Sounds like crowds were fairly light, at least with being able to ride SDD twice and TSMM. I found we were really out of practice tok, but our scores are never nearly as good as yours.
Yeah we definitely got there before the crowds got bad!
We are also out of practice, we definitely score higher on TSMM! :rotfl:
Topolino's looks great! We only had dinner there, someday we will get back there for Brunch.
Brunch at Topolinos may be my favorite meal. I usualy skip breakfast now (I'm too lazy to make it in the morning) so having breakfast foods is a real treat and Topolinos does it so well! Plus it is unlimited, so if you wanted to try something aside from your entree, you can!
OK got to get a start on the day. We're going to Disney!
Yay, lucky you!!

I can't wait to try Toppolinos! I'm hoping to do brunch there this summer. The Riviera is so beautiful...
It really is! Love the brunch there!
I appreciate your review of Gideon's. When I was in Disney Springs at the end of April, we got on the virtual line for Gideon's in the afternoon, their estimated wait time was over 3.5 hours! I was not too surprised, but when you are standing there trying to decide if its worth it to wait that long for cookies, you start thinking lol. I do want to try it, and next time I am in Disney Springs I will try to make it work, but I have heard similar reviews to what you have said regarding the taste of the actual cookies, so I'm wondering how much I will like them!
I guess it's a personal preference! I just thought it wasn't as great as the hype made it out to be. I mean if I was offered one, I wouldn't turn it down, but I'd have to be in the mood for sweets, and I am definitely more of a salty snack vs sweet person in general :)
The food looked amazing!
It was!! Soo good!
Huh. I will miss Illuminations as well. Has Florida started Nighttime Spectaculars?
Starting July 1!
You and Liesa take a lot of these pictures! Very cute! I don't even notice them in the parks!
Liesa takes better ones than I do! I don't think I'm meant to be a fairy. 😆
Ewwww. :eek: That sounds gross.

I don't think I'm ready for Florida's lax attitude towards safety. Although California may go the same route after June 15. I hope not.
Looks like it's going that way too. While I appreciate not having to wear masks outdoors I think it's kinda too soon with the indoors optional mask thing. :crazy2:
That's half the fun of the ride. :sad2:
Totally!
I wonder how that would effect us considering we take up six seats between the two of us in our scooters. I like no more standing room though.
Sadly they are going back to the way things were. Looks like the monorail is back to standing room allowed and I assume the buses will follow suit. Soon at Disney it will be like 2020 never happened! o_O
Guess it's time for me to get back into the swing of the DISboards and TRs. But I really need to catch up. I will be back later with comments. :thumbsup2
Hi Karin!! Glad to see you back! :)

Yeah good idea, although I heard there is a ride share shortage now so you may end up waiting for a car anyways!

I'd heard that too. Makes me wanna go there and drive for Uber/Lyft and make a gazillion bucks!! LOL!

Yes! Wonder if that will change soon.

Probably with crowds galore now.

Yum! Where can you get an affogado?

At the Italy Pav. Gelateria. :)

“Affogato” Espresso Gelato,Fresh Italian espresso poured over vanilla gelato with an amaretto cookie
“Affogato” Espresso Gelato, “Affogato” Espresso Gelato
$11.75

I've gotten behind but now I'm caught back up. Lot's of great food in Epcot. I'm not an oyster person but the ones you got look pretty pitiful. My girls love the Chargrilled oyster they get at our local place and look 10x better than those. That's a poor representation of food from Louisiana. I didn't sample any of the food you did so I really missed out.

We grabbed a few photopass pics near the hub.

Nice pics of you two!

Somewhere in there we also grabbed a snack:

Yum!

It was time to head to the Contemporary for our highly anticipated dinner at California Grill!!

We grabbed this Photopass on the way out. Love the castle at night!

Very cute!

I brought a dress and Steve had a polo shirt which he literally threw on over his t-shirt, LOL.

I was going to say....aren't you a little casual for a Signature? I know they let people in who are even more casually dressed than you two, I've seen it. Bit I really wish more people respected upscale restaurants and dressed the part. Just yesterday I heard that many restaurants have dropped the dinner jacket requirement for men because the practice of providing loaner jackets isn't safe post covid.

imagine my surprise when we were led to the most amazing table with the view of the castle and space mountain!

Sweet!

To drink I got the Ice wine Martini which came highly recommended and rightly so, it was sooo good! I rarely have a straight up martini but this one was so smooth and slightly sweet from the ice wine but not too sweet.

I think I'd rather have the ice wine straight up rather than as a cocktail. And I love my straight up vodka martini!

To start we got items from the sushi menu, a Yellowfin Tuna Tasting

That looks so tasty!

For entrees Steve got the Black Grouper: Herb Basmati Rice, Cashew Chutney, Bok Choy, Baby Shiitake, Kaffir Lime-Coconut Nage

I almost thought that looked perfect until you got to the coconut part.

And for me, I opted to get an appetizer for an entree, the splendid Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons: Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root

Now that looks tasty!

We were really full and it was pretty late so I wanted to skip and Steve said that was a good idea. But Walter went and got me a cake anyways:

They're so sweet with the birthday surprises!

OMG you guys, look at all these treats I got!!!!!

:eek: I'm not sure that I would be able to finish all that over the course of the trip!

There were delicious chocolate covered strawberries, cupcakes and cookies. Plus it was decorated so beautifully with Mickey sprinkles and everything!

That's a ton of sweetness there!

And also the most amazing surprise, a gift from Chunkydust, whom we saw earlier that day, this beautiful champagne set with the cutest Mickey flutes! Also included are chocolates from the Ganachery!!! Plus the silver tray also has a Tinkerbelle pixie dust motif on it. So perfect in that it came from Chunkydust! I totally wasn't expecting this, it was truly the sweetest thing. :hug: Thank you so much!!

You can just cancel your ADRs and just stay in the room! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter