So where are we eating next? A January 2017 Dining Report *Update 3/2 Nomad Lounge & Jiko

No need for the mamosa pictures...I had one this morning! I have always wondered myself about doing character means sans kids but looks like they were just as fun!

We enjoyed Cape May for breakfast as well--totally agree that the characters did a nice job and their beach attire is so cute :)

Definitely looking forward to hearing about Nomad Lounge and Jiko!

Sounds like a fabulous first character breakfast experience! We have never made it over to Cape May but the characters at that breakfast probably appeal to me the most - I love their beach outfits! You are so right about the danish. We had cheese danish provided on a catered work breakfast for an event we did last week and let's just say it was NOT Disney danish! I love Disney's breakfast buffets.

Before this trip, I would have said that the Starbucks cheese danish was my favorite but it has now been replaced with the Disney version. It must be the extra pixie dust that makes them so good!

Our first character meal was Cape May too (also without kids) and it was the first time my husband had ever "met" characters, so he was super sceptical and apprehensive! We got the most engaging Donald ever, which totally broke the ice for my DH. We had a small white board with us, that we were using to caption photos, so we had written on it Relaxing Vacation day etc.. So Donald took the board and started writing on it that he needed a relaxing vacation day, and brought it over to the "manager" to "complain"! It was awesome, and had DH looking forward to future character experiences!!

How fun! Donald is the best.

Just finding your report, but awesome reviews and totally loving all the booze :-)

:welcome: I always love the booze in your reviews too :P

No need for the mamosa pictures...I had one this morning! I have always wondered myself about doing character means sans kids but looks like they were just as fun!

I was worried it would be weird without kids but it definitely wasn't! I'm sure the characters have seen every combination of groups possible so they know how to interact accordingly. I'll be planning more character meals in the future. It opens up even more new places to try!

We enjoyed Cape May for breakfast as well--totally agree that the characters did a nice job and their beach attire is so cute :)

It was so relaxing! The perfect breakfast for a sleep-in morning.

*Nomad Lounge*
After breakfast at Cape May, we spent the afternoon at Hollywood Studios. Having been there the night before, we took our time instead of rushing from ride to ride. It was a nice afternoon with the crowds fairly low and slightly warmer temperatures. On the way out, we stopped at Sweet Spells for an afternoon snack to take back to the room. I got the legendary carrot cake cookie and Rob got a chocolate chip cookie. He ate his before I could get a picture but here is mine:

IMG_1001_zpsjaba7fno.jpg

There is a reason this cookie is legendary. It's HUGE and delicious! The cream cheese in the middle is the right amount of sweet and savory. The carrots are blended perfectly into the cookie and cut the sweetness a bit. I ate half of it and decided to save the rest for later.

Rob rested while I got dressed for dinner. We were headed to Jiko but our reservation wasn't until later so we decided to pop into Animal Kingdom to see the Tree of Life awakening. What a unique experience! I'm really glad we got to see it. We still had some time so we headed into Nomad Lounge for some pre-dinner cocktails. Ever since having lunch at Tiffins in October, I'd wanted to come back to Nomad Lounge. I'm sure this will change when Pandora opens but every time I've looked in, it is fairly deserted. Look at all these comfy seats open!

IMG_1106_zpszcdnlupl.jpg

This is really a lovely spot. I can always dream that people won't discover it when Pandora opens right? I would love to escape the afternoon heat here for a drink and snack. Anyway, on to the important stuff! I ordered the Snow Leopard Salvation - Snow Leopard Vodka, Belle de Brillet Pear Liqueur, Mint, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer. Rob chose the Tempting Tigress - Russell's Reserve 10yr Bourbon, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Tamarind Syrup, and Lime Juice.

IMG_1108_zpslgkyyll4.jpg

Both were wonderful! The bartender knew her stuff and mixed them expertly. No premixed stuff here. It seems quite a few places in Disney are taking the easy route but not Nomad Lounge! These were well done cocktails. We also ordered the Tiffins bread service as a snack. Either I failed to take a picture or it is on Rob's phone :confused3 Here's one from EasyWDW. Josh takes much better photos than I haha!

tiffins_dinner_review-41.jpg

This was a great starter. I really enjoyed the crispy wonton-looking bread. Rob preferred the naan. We both said the black eyed pea hummus was our favorite dip followed by the pomegranate olive oil. The bread service at Sanaa is still the best but this is something I would choose again! We ordered another round of drinks and hung out for a bit. Then it was time to catch a bus to AKL for our Jiko dinner! I thought I could fit them both in one post but I got a bit longwinded here. I'll have a Jiko post up shortly!

Nomad lounge looks absolutely incredible!! I can't wait to sit on that patio and sample all the amazing drinks I 've been reading about!

That looks like the perfect combo of pre-dinner drinks and snacks--yum! The lounge really looks beautiful.

*Jiko*
We caught another show of the Tree of Life Awakening on our way out of Animal Kingdom. So pretty! We strolled out of the park and didn't have to wait very long for a bus headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of my favorite resorts to visit. You really feel like you've been transported to another land! We spent some time checking out the lobby and the gift shop. Then we headed down the stairs to Jiko.

Had a bit of an odd moment here. We checked in for our reservation probably 15 minutes early. We've done this at most places and never had a hostess bat an eye. They just hand us our pager or get our cell number to text us when the table is ready and that's that. This hostess, however, was apparently offended that we dared to check in early. She was all smiles when we walked up but when I gave her our name and she found us on the list, she made a face and proceeded to make a huge point of telling us we were early and that it would probably be close to our ACTUAL (emphasis hers) reservation time before we were seated. It was really strange as we hadn't demanded to be seated right away or given an impression that we were in a hurry (that I can remember). We took our pager and snagged a seat in the lounge. I looked around the restaurant and saw several tables open. It really didn't look that busy so I don't know what her deal was. Anyway, I wasn't going to let an odd hostess ruin a meal I had been looking forward to for 6 months! We were seated eventually at a table that had been open since we checked in o_O and started perusing the menu.

Our server came over and introduced himself. I wish I could remember his name because he ended up being great! He saw me checking out the wine list and asked if I needed any recommendations. I eagerly accepted the help and told him what kind of wine we normally drink and what was looking good on the menu. He recommended the Mvemve Raats de Compostella - a red blend consisting mainly of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec. It was very rich with black cherry and cinnamon notes. It had a hint of dark chocolate on the finish. We ended up ordering a bottle to share for the meal.

IMG_1111_zpswiqjntis.jpg

Along with the wine, we were brought some bread to get us started. Our server told us it was Ethiopian honey wheat bread with salted butter. Yum! The rolls were crispy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside. You don't get much better than that!

IMG_1109_zps1bzdmdqg.jpg

When the bread came out, we ordered the cheese plate for an appetizer. We do love a good cheese plate. This one did not disappoint! The only downside was we did not get a printed description of the cheeses so I do not remember what they were. All were good though!

IMG_1112_zpsakt93d7h.jpg

Cheese plates are quickly becoming our favorite appetizer since they don't fill you up so much that you don't enjoy your entree. On to the main event! I ordered the 7 oz filet - Pumpkin Pap "Isidudu", Brussels Sprouts, Caramelized Onions.

IMG_1113_zpsfejpzjgs.jpg

Be still my beating heart. This was absolutely wonderful! The filet came out at a perfect medium rare temperature. The sprouts were crispy and well-spiced. I cleaned my plate! Now I can't find what Rob ordered on the online menu anymore but if my notes are correct, he got a bison strip. It came with roasted potatoes and some kind of vegetable medley with red pepper, onion, and spinach I think.

IMG_1115_zpsrfg5fdux.jpg

Another home run for the Jiko chefs! Of course, he pushed the vegetables aside but adored the meat and potatoes. I snagged a bite and was impressed. It was not gamy at all and had a wonderful smoky flavor. If I can ever tear myself away from the filet, this would be next on the list.

Of course, we did not save room for dessert. But the remaining wine was our dessert, right?! I may or may not have stolen the last bit in the bottle when Rob wasn't looking :littleangel: We grabbed an Uber back to Beach Club and headed to bed, dreaming of another day at Disney!

Up Next: Rose & Crown

Loving your DR! I can't wait to try Nomad Lounge in May, it looks amazing! Hadn't thought about doing Flying Fish but now it's on my list of places to try.

WOW! Jiko, looks and sounds fantastic! For some reason, despite all the amazing reviews, I'm still on the fence about it :confused3 as good as everyone's food looks, nothing on the menu ever "jumps out at me".

So glad you all loved Nomads and Jiko, two of our favorites. We ended up at Nomads three time on our last trip as the experience and drinks are absolute perfection. But we have the same fear as you, when Pandora opens up it will undoubtedly be discovered and I so appreciate it for all the seclusion.

Your Jiko filet looks ah-maz-ing!!! And that wine sounds delicious. Gonna have to remember that for a future trip

That's two raves over the Jiko steak I've read this weekend. Unfortunately I don't think we'll make it there in April. Your reviews are awesome and it looks like you had a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter