So, what "other" trip could lead you to take a year off?

One of DWs conditions for buying DVC is that we wouldn't go to WDW every year and the plan was to make it more like 1/2. So far we haven't kept to that, but this will be our first year without making the Florida pilgrimmage. We looked in Europe for something that would provide an all-inclusive experience (ideally adults only) and didn't find anything that quite fit the bill so we're off to Mexico in 3 weeks time. I would have preferred to avoid a transatlantic flight, but I'm sure it will be fabulous when we're there.

I might be missing the mouse a bit, but don't tell DW! :littleangel:

Edit - Great thread by the way. mecllap my wife would adore your car!

Many people have said a Disney Cruise as their alternative but doesn't that count as Disney again? It's like saying you aren't going to Virginia beach again but instead head to the outer banks... "not that there's anything wrong with that!" but does that really count as an alternative to Disney? ;)

For us it does. It may be Disney themed, but it's totally different than staying at the resorts and being in the parks. There is a cultural aspect to it, that you won't get at the parks (even at Epcot!), and there is the beach/ocean breeze aspect to it!

Tiger :)

For us it does. It may be Disney themed, but it's totally different than staying at the resorts and being in the parks. There is a cultural aspect to it, that you won't get at the parks (even at Epcot!), and there is the beach/ocean breeze aspect to it!

I think its completely different than the parks too. About the only thing in common as vacations go is the branding and the ability to get character autographs.

Different yet again is the Disney ABD trips - a light amount of "Disney" in a tour bus vacation package.

I think its completely different than the parks too. About the only thing in common as vacations go is the branding and the ability to get character autographs.

Different yet again is the Disney ABD trips - a light amount of "Disney" in a tour bus vacation package.

We were looking at those too, but they do seem costly, over similar packages, but we haven't actually sat down to research.

I remember you and I discussing other vacations besides Disney in previous threads, as I was troubled last year with how much money we had spent on DVC and those associated costs, so we felt we had to go to Disney every year (we've been doing 2x a year, but have since stopped that), and didn't really want to spend anymore vacation money on other trips, but we really wanted to show the kids other places besides Disney.

Disney is a second home for all of us, and the we all take it so for granted, so now, we are anxious to visit other places!

We have since knocked down our food budget to basically nothing, by cooking in our villa (hubby has just been diagnosed with Crohn's, so this is actually going to work out well), going to Disney only 1x per year instead of 2x, and skipping Disney every third year, which will allow us to save on AP costs.

Just by doing these 3 things, we have increased our vacation dramatically, and are putting those funds towards new vacations. We have actually upped the vacation budget too a little to include more weekend getaways, as well as to add to the different vacations we will be taking. For a frugal gal, this was a big step, but it has been great for us as we've already gone on a few weekend getaways, and are greatly looking forward to our cruise next summer! Want to take the kids to Chicago for March Break too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter