So unhappy with our room/experience at PoR

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by pacsunmama, Feb 15, 2017.

1. pacsunmama

pacsunmama Earning My Ears

I am so frustrated. I wasted half a day trying to figure out our room situation. I wrote a detailed bit about it in my trip report if you want to check.

But I'm really frustrated and we still have 8 more nights here. My youngest isn't even in the room with us because otherwise he'd have to sleep on the floor (so he's in with my inlaws.)

I thought we booked a preferred room. In fact it's what we were quoted on our confirmation email. And I didn't even realize until today with all the issues that what was actually booked was a garden room.

This turned out to be such a frustrating day and I'm really unhappy with how things are but nobody seemed like they were able to do much of anything to find a good solution for us. They honestly didn't even seem to care, just an attitude of "whatever, hope this works."

I wish we could have stayed either at a value and spent half the money (and had probably a better, more kid-friendly experience) or stayed at a deluxe. But again nothing was available because we need 3 rooms for part of our trip.

Wasted my whole second day here. This is a once in a lifetime, emotionally huge trip for us, and I am literally up in the middle of the night crying. This isn't how I thought it would be and I don't know how to fix it.

2. halfpintpeggy

halfpintpeggy DIS Veteran

:sad1::sad1::sad1: Oh no! I am SO sorry to hear this & I feel for you. I'm really sad to know that you're up in the middle of the night crying...wish I had a solution for you. Is there anything your resort cast members can do to rectify your situation? Clearly, they cannot give you your whole second day back that you wasted. Please keep us posted & know that I'm sending you positive thoughts - hugs!

3. goopysolelady

goopysolelady DIS Veteran

Don't let it ruin you're vacation...YOU'RE AT DISNEY WORLD! party: And, honestly...how much time do you spend at your resort? A couple years ago we went to DW with my DGD's soccer team! There were 38 of us and we were scattered all over...but ALL rooms were adjoining. One adult had to stay in a room with 3 girls; youngest DGD was with us...2 "non-family" members were with DD and her husband; oldest DGD was with another family, etc. NO WAY did it "ruin" our vacation...we all met for the games and most of the time went to the parks together; ate most meals together; had pool time together and we had the BEST time ever! Once back in our rooms...we slept. :rolleyes: I see you're from Maryland...the weather there has been awful, am I correct? You're in sunny Florida with a garden view at POR and it sounds beautiful...just enjoy the time together as a family group and ENJOY the trip! :tink:

4. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  5. halfpintpeggy

halfpintpeggy DIS Veteran

Check out her trip report & you'll see why she's so upset...

ellie05 likes this.
  6. mousehockey37

mousehockey37 DIS Veteran

OP, I'd go with your gut and if you have time, push for moving to a totally different resort. Have your travel agent do it too. If the accommodations aren't what you paid for, get what you paid for. At this point, I know it's not the best, but see if they can move you over to Shades of Green maybe... it's the military resort and it's across the street from the Poly!

If moving to a different resort doesn't work, I'd find a way to make the current configuration work and just make the best of it. I'd still be calling the TA and going to the desk every free moment you have (without missing anything further... my concierge at the Boardwalk took my phone # and called me while I was out to update me on my issue that I had) to see what more can be done. Your TA needs to pull through for you on this one.

In the end, remember, a bad day at Disney is still better than a good day at home! Hopefully things settle down and you can enjoy being in a happy place!

7. mb187143

mb187143 DIS Veteran

OP, I noticed in your trip report that you mentioned you called the front desk, as did your TA. If you haven't yet (and you might have done this too), try going to the front desk in person. The phone routes to a call center, and that may be where you're getting some of the ambivalence to hep you.

It shouldn't be this hard to get what you need. I hope today goes better for you

8. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I would read the trip report. There is no way I would be okay with what they experienced, and I doubt that you would either.

halfpintpeggy and firstwdw like this.
  9. bluezy

bluezy DIS Veteran

OP, I agree with the others -- go to the front desk in person and ask for a manager. When you call the "front desk", you're talking to someone who is not even necessarily in the same town (or state) as you -- they are just not as emotionally invested in a situation as someone who you are talking to face-to-face. Explain everything you've been through in the last day and how you would like to rectify the situation (getting 1st floor rooms close together either at this resort or another one if needed) and go from there. I hope today is a better day. Enjoy your family time at Disney!

momtwoboys likes this.
  10. TJA

TJA DIS Veteran

OP - I didn't read your trip report, but from what I read in this thread, I would go to the front desk and politely ask to switch resorts. I would explain about my child having to sleep on the floor if they want to know why...if your confirmation says preferred room, then I believe you should've received one of those pull-down beds? We stayed there last year and that's exactly why I booked a preferred room. But honestly, my DD slept in the pull-down and she said it was the most uncomfortable bed she has ever slept in (and she NEVER complains...).

11. IrishNYC

IrishNYC DIS Veteran

I just went and skimmed your trip report, and I agree with the others, go to the desk, don't call, and they will get this resolved for you. They can't ever guarantee rooms near each other, but with your scooters they need to get you into an accessible room - specify that's what you need. (You probably should have booked an accessible room, not just requested a 1st floor room, because requests are not guaranteed.) Good luck, and please report back to let us know they made things right for you!

nkereina and BarbieGal457 like this.
  12. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

Oh hell nah! This wouldn't fly with me!!! I'd march right up to the front desk, ask for a manager, and explain the situation. Be firm. This is completely 100% unacceptable. They messed up. You booked preferred. They should accommodate you by sending you to another resort. Its totally doable!! Considering your situation, thats the least they could do!!! Its heart breaking to hear you'd make a bed of towels and blankets on the floor. Heartbreaking! :(

Good luck!

13. tjmw2727

tjmw2727 DIS Veteran

I read your TR and agree with the pp's - go to the front desk in person with your confirmation, ask for a manager don't even waste time on a CM at this point. Honestly I would even consider sending the family ahead and trying to deal with this alone. Be calm and think about what you want / need to make this work for your family in the room category you booked. IMHO if you have 5 in the room it is obvious that you need sleeping arrangements for 5 !

I have been in a similar situation in the past - but just 2 rooms and less people and I truly hope you have a good resolution but unfortunately it will take you going to the front desk yourself.

Good luck :)

firstwdw likes this.
  14. firstwdw

firstwdw DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, I just read through your trip report and I am so sorry. This is totally unacceptable. Go to the front desk and ask for a manager and explain your situation in detail. If Riverside can't accommodate you, they need to move you (and everyone in your travel party) to another resort with no cost to you. Mention how magical the Poly was. This trip is so important to your family who has been through so much. You should absolutely not be separated from your children. Maybe Disney needs to read your trip report! Let us know how it goes.

15. alex9179

alex9179 DIS Veteran

There is a lot of info from her trip report. Anyone responding should read it because there are circumstances that surround why she'd in the room she's in, now.

In brief:
    First room was on 2nd floor and both have scooters. Wants to be close to extended family's rooms. Moved to 1st floor and room had problems that necessitated another move. Moved to Mansions section to accommodate scooter use because 1st floor not available in AB and now far from family. Bed sharing doesn't work for them - personal reasons that we don't have to know about.

OP, I don't know if you even want to deal with another move. If so, another visit to the desk with your confirmation email stating preferred room will be necessary. Are you open to moving to CBR? Ask the front desk for alternatives.
    Saying that, I would go when I didn't have park plans. Your situation isn't ideal but is workable. Don't waste park time dealing with the front desk.

Keep notes and email Guest Relations about your experience, later.

For logistics sake, I would meet the extended family at the park/restaurant instead of meeting in one of the rooms. That will help with the morning rush if the problem with your room locations can't be solved to your satisfaction.

macraven and TJA like this.
  16. ErinsMommy

ErinsMommy What if i fall..but oh my darling what if you fly!

I so agree with everyone else to go to the front desk! I hope the rest of your trip is made magical somehow!

17. Marthasor

Marthasor DIS Veteran

OP, if you are too tired to deal with this, I would hand this off to your TA and try to enjoy your day. Yes, going to the front desk is the most direct way to deal with it (and you may want to have your TA on the phone with you when you do it) or, ask your TA to get on the phone with WDW and rectify the situation. He/She should speak with a supervisor or even contact their WDW regional sales manager to get this resolved. You should be in the park enjoying yourself. Your TA should resolve this for you.

18. alex9179

alex9179 DIS Veteran

They are a family of 4 but I agree that changing her booking from preferred to GV is bonkers. More sleeping surfaces are why smaller families book preferred!

Requesting 1st floor when accessibility is required was a mistake, but that's moot at this point.

19. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

I'd read the trip report but see no links to it anywhere, no idea how to find it. I'm confused by one thing posted here. Maybe the trip report clears things up but this sounds like she got what was booked and she was wrong about what was booked, not that she was put in the wrong category. No?

20. ErinsMommy

ErinsMommy What if i fall..but oh my darling what if you fly!

Nope she said she still paid for preferred even though her final reservation confirmation said 'garden view'.

21. mbrown2097

mbrown2097 Earning My Ears