So is the new 4 hour DME pick up time for everyone or certain airlines?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I recall that around the last time I went DME started picking up 4 hours prior for Delta or Jetblue due to tram construction...(Can't remember which because I don't fly with either so I wasn't paying too much attention).
All the sudden today I've seen several threads about the new 4 hour pick up and thought to myself is this a new thing for everyone now?
So I wanted to ask and get clarification.
I'm flying with SWA which is who I always fly with so should I expect the 4 hour pick up in February?
Is it due to the new TSA rules of taking out more electronics and food?

JB is basically the only airline that is impacted by the tram construction. Lines can be miserable, especially going to the gate vs leaving the gate area. So, that's not really the reason for the four hours. And I have yet to leave four hours prior and I fly JB almost exclusively. So far this year, since Jan, I've flown JB 7 times, and always had a three hour window for my pickup.
Anyway.....the road construction around WDW has added to the time needed to get to MCO...it's atrocious. I can't imagine how anyone drives in the area without prior knowledge. Then, with the addtl changes to security, the lines are getting longer and longer. And I've seen people hopping into the precheck lines, hoping to just get sent through...but, they aren't. Yet they stand there and argue with the TSA agent. Then, in order to shorten the regular lines, they start sending non-precheck people through the precheck screening area. And those people have no idea what they're doing, and start emptying bags and removing shoes. So, they get yelled at, and then get all flustered. So, stand there putting their shoes and coats back on, and stuffing stuff back into their carry on bags! Drives me nuts!!!! It isn't helping to send non-precheck approved people through that line!!!
The regular security lines are miserable......with the constant changes to security procceedures, no one has a clue what's going on. Food stuffs are now getting closely checked...that takes an inordinant amount of time. Heaven forbid you bring food for your kids!! Anyway....the time needed to get through security has doubled, at least. The last time I flew out of MCO, about 3 weeks ago, the regular line wait time was 25 mins. When my friend flew the day before, it was longer. Now, with the new screenings happening, it's going to be close to an hour in line.
So, figure on it taking close to 45 mins to get off property, unless you're the first stop for DME, then 40 mins, perhaps longer depending on traffic/driver, to get to MCO. If you don't have precheck, then 45 mins in security and then a possible wait for the tram to the gate area. And heaven forbid you need to check your bags at the airport...add another 35 mins for that. Sadly, we may need that four hours!!!
However, I have precheck, I always check my bags at the resort. So, I shouldn't need more than an 30 mins to get from the bus to my gate. Others may very well need over an hour, perhaps close to 90 mins!!!

I recall that around the last time I went DME started picking up 4 hours prior for Delta or Jetblue due to tram construction...(Can't remember which because I don't fly with either so I wasn't paying too much attention).
All the sudden today I've seen several threads about the new 4 hour pick up and thought to myself is this a new thing for everyone now?
So I wanted to ask and get clarification.
I'm flying with SWA which is who I always fly with so should I expect the 4 hour pick up in February?
Is it due to the new TSA rules of taking out more electronics and food?

Currently, the 4 hour pick-up time is for all guests, regardless of airline.

MCO is a mess. Their security lines are crazy, there is construction which limits walk areas, the bag check-in lines are longer these days than they have been in years and overall security is slow when it comes to checking bags (carry-ons) that are pulled.

Disney has said the 4-hour window is considered a permanent change, however they will revisit it after the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter