So is December going to be packed?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Mdsleiman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Mdsleiman

Mdsleiman Mouseketeer

I am really starting to worry that December is going to be wall to wall people!! Our dates are the 16th - 21st and I was hoping that we would miss the biggest part of the rush because Christmas falls on a Monday this year.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

It's WDW. It's Christmas. It's going to be busy. My personal feelings on it are :confused3. It is what it is. We were just there for 4th of July and it was busy but not a big deal. We'll be there just as you're leaving. I expect it to be crowded, but it won't really hurt anything.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

Yes, it's going to be very crowded. More so at the end than the beginning.

marcyleecorgan and JennyDrake like this.
  5. Gentry2004

Gentry2004 Earning My Ears

We are there the 15-23rd. I know it will be crowded but I still think it will be better than the next two weeks.

6. anomamatt

anomamatt Mouseketeer

Of course it will be crowded. We are going Dec 26 - Jan 2. Have an efficient touring plan and go with the flow.

7. xlsm

xlsm Snow White

We were there for similar dates last year (16 - 23) and the crowds were not nearly as bad as I had built them up to be in my mind. Embrace morning touring for prime ride riding time, and enjoy slower paced evenings.

Have fun and enjoy the holiday atmosphere - it's beautiful!

adelaster likes this.
  8. J. Thaddeus Toad Esq.

J. Thaddeus Toad Esq. Earning My Ears

We are going 12/16 - 12/22. We have never been duringthe holidays. I anticipate it being pretty busy. I can handle busy but busy and hot is another story.

Janet McDonald and adelaster like this.
  9. RangerPooh

RangerPooh DIS Veteran

Yes, it will be busy. The closer that it gets to Christmas the busier that it will be.

10. SaintsManiac

SaintsManiac DIS Veteran

Don't worry about crowds. Go have fun! :)

recmouse likes this.
  11. NH-to-FL

NH-to-FL DIS Veteran

As Klayfish said, it's December near Christmas at WDW, it will be busy. You will notice it getting busier each day you are there. And it will continue to get busier after you leave. The standard suggestion is to take advantage of rope drop to get as much done as possible before the crowds stream in. Have you FP+ and dining reservations in place and be prepared to take things slow. It is a beautiful time to visit WDW with all of the holiday decorations and the cooler weather.

Wishing you a magical trip!

12. kevind2112

kevind2112 Earning My Ears

We were there last year from the 23rd through the 30th. Was it busy? Of course it was. But, with proper planning it's very doable. The only day the parks actually felt uncomfortably full was our last day, Dec 30, at Magic Kingdom. Beyond that we were able to do everything we wanted, and more. Actually, most evenings we were able to walk on to a lot of rides, esp at Magic Kingdom. I can only guess it's because the parks were filled more with families with smaller kids, and those kids were done by dinner time.

My advice it to plan very well, fast passes, dinner reservations, etc., but definitely go! Disney at Christmas is amazingly magical. We've been 5 times now during the holiday season, and honestly we can't imagine going any other time of year.

J. Thaddeus Toad Esq. likes this.
  13. FutureDisneyEventPlanner

FutureDisneyEventPlanner Earning My Ears

the best time to go is the second week in December. i've gone twice now and the crowds are low. not September low but low.

Wild Roses likes this.
  14. gmboy95

gmboy95 Go Patriots!!!!! DVC Gold

Its going to be wall to wall people....the days of slow times at Disney are a thing of the past....but the month between thanksgiving and Christmas is packed....especially since they blacked out Christmas week on regular annual passes

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  15. MPD

MPD Earning My Ears

Which is better - first week in December or second? We're considering going this year to see the decorations since we have annual passes.

16. FutureDisneyEventPlanner

FutureDisneyEventPlanner Earning My Ears

second week definitely. Pop Warner week is the first week in December. lots of cheerleaders.

sWDWcopeland, adelaster and MPD like this.
  17. MusicalAstronaut

MusicalAstronaut Mouseketeer

Just plan wisely! I've been there on New Year's Eve and it was wall to wall people, but we still had fun! That might be the time to only ride something you have a FP for & explore other parts of the parks. :)

18. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the week you're going. A lot of schools aren't getting out until the 20th or even after, so by the time they get there, you'll be gone. The first part of your trip will be the best, but I'm betting even your last day won't be near Christmas week busy, and closer to just regular busy.

The WHOLE month?? I don't think so. The week after Thanksgiving through the 2nd week of December are three of the best weeks to go all year long, crowd wise. If that's your definition of packed, I'd hate to see what the actual week of Christmas looks like to you.

Sandi likes this.
  19. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I go every year the first week of December and the crowds are very manageable. Don't let people discourage you due to Pop Warner _ I am Childless by Choice and I've NEVER had issue with the PW kids in 15 years of staying at the SAME resort. April Summit Cheer OTOH.......

IN other December trips, I have noticed the crowds thicken daily starting about the 14th: use rope drop and you should do well. The MK is a MADHOUSE each and every day starting about one, so it's a good time to hop or go back and rest.

20. gmboy95

gmboy95 Go Patriots!!!!! DVC Gold

I was there the first weekend in December and they closed the parking lot at DHS....so yup, thats my definition of crowded

21. Somnia

Somnia Mouseketeer

Ya we're going Dec 6th-15th so we'll have the Pop Warner crowd a little bit, but not the whole trip at least.