So excited! Just booked our first trip to the Fort!

pixiesnake

Mouseketeer
I have always wanted to camp at Fort Wilderness and I'm finally going to get my chance. Yay!
We have been tent campers for many years and I always wanted to camp at Disney but couldn't convince the hubby to go through all the work of setting up a tent, etc. when you could get a value resort for not much more money. Eighteen months ago we bought a teardrop camper and I've been dying to take it the Fort. Finally booked for April 2018. I'll be hanging out here for the next 294 days (LOL) to learn everything I need to know before our trip. Hopefully the hubby gets hooked and it will be the first of many trips.

Here's a picture of our camper. (hopefully it shows up) Nope it didn't. I'll have to figure out how to load a picture.

Ooooo! Kinda has that classic look with the white walls.

Congrats on the camper and the booking. Don't be a stranger around here and feel free to ask away. We're always glad to help but you will have to forgive the occasional joke or two along the way.

I love your little teardrop, pixiesnake.

It looks like a Little Guy trailer with the Clamshell kitchen.

You have lots of WDW trips in your signature. I predict after DH does a Fort trip that it will become his favorite resort. It can't be THAT much workto set up that little thing.

I have a popup and your trailer and mine is conducive to spending a lot of time outside. It might be hard to make a Fort trip at this time of year (late June) but for October 1 to June 1 or thereabouts, camping outside in central FL can be mighty nice.

Bama Ed

PS - the campground in your photo looks like Fort Desoto down in the Tampa/St Pete area.

Last edited:
Great camper! The wife and I have done the Fort in about the same size camper and it was amazing! Enjoy your trip and don't worry about asking questions on this board as everyone is super friendly and very helpful with lots of experience.

Congrats on becoming a teardrop owner. I built mine about 6 years ago and have taken it to the Fort several times. Having an EZ up over the kitchen area will be handy for being outside when cooking or just relaxing and to get away from the "occasional" Florida rain. I look forward to seeing pics of your trip.
20140401_153108_zpsljaitpup.jpg

So interesting to see the pictures.
I love peeking on the camping threads and I drag my dh to rv shows just to get a feel for them...my dream vacation would be an extended cross county trip in a drivable one, like my parents did years back.
Some day, maybe... but for now, thx for sharing ur camping photos and
Congrats pixiesnake!
Happy Camping one and all!

Ooooo! Kinda has that classic look with the white walls.

Congrats on the camper and the booking. Don't be a stranger around here and feel free to ask away. We're always glad to help but you will have to forgive the occasional joke or two along the way.

Thanks tiggerdad. I look forward to hanging out here.

Congratulations on the CUTE trailer! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks disneypeach

Just give your dh one trip - he will be hooked!!
:-)

I hope so North of Mouse. He's not as much of a Disney fan as me but humors me.

I love your little teardrop, pixiesnake.

It looks like a Little Guy trailer with the Clamshell kitchen.

You have lots of WDW trips in your signature. I predict after DH does a Fort trip that it will become his favorite resort. It can't be THAT much workto set up that little thing.

I have a popup and your trailer and mine is conducive to spending a lot of time outside. It might be hard to make a Fort trip at this time of year (late June) but for October 1 to June 1 or thereabouts, camping outside in central FL can be mighty nice.

Bama Ed

PS - the campground in your photo looks like Fort Desoto down in the Tampa/St Pete area.

Thanks Bama Ed. Yes it's a Little Guy Silver Shadow. Being from West Central Florida we typically camp from October to April. We have an AC in there if we need it but much more pleasant to camp in the cooler weather. The teardrop is definitely quick set up. It has opened up a lot of new camping possibilities for us. You've got a good eye - that picture is indeed from Fort Desoto.

Great camper! The wife and I have done the Fort in about the same size camper and it was amazing! Enjoy your trip and don't worry about asking questions on this board as everyone is super friendly and very helpful with lots of experience.

Thanks burnaroonie

Congrats on becoming a teardrop owner. I built mine about 6 years ago and have taken it to the Fort several times. Having an EZ up over the kitchen area will be handy for being outside when cooking or just relaxing and to get away from the "occasional" Florida rain. I look forward to seeing pics of your trip.

Thanks JETS70. Love your camper! We have a canopy that goes over the back and a side tent that attaches around the door so we have a variety of set up options. We didn't set those up when that picture was taken because the weather was absolutely so perfect we didn't need them.

So interesting to see the pictures.
I love peeking on the camping threads and I drag my dh to rv shows just to get a feel for them...my dream vacation would be an extended cross county trip in a drivable one, like my parents did years back.
Some day, maybe... but for now, thx for sharing ur camping photos and
Congrats pixiesnake!
Happy Camping one and all!
Thanks adisneynut. Hope you get to do your dream trip one day. We always love looking at other people's set ups. We always wander through the campgrounds looking and head to RV shows when we can. Always fun to see what's out there.

Pixiesnake if your DH is like my DW you'll do fine We bought our RV so we can go to he Fort more and stay longer with no more sending The Girls to camp and getting a cat sitter She loves that The Fort is So clean and well maintained. There is plenty of places to walk around and explore , enough recreational activities to keep me happy and a general atmosphere of being laid back to keep us all happy. Take the time to just explore and relax in the Fort and he'll never want to stay anywhere else. ( We did a week At AKL club level on her second trip and all she wanted was to leave and go to the Fort)

If he likes camping in general, I have no doubt he will like the Fort.

Bring on the questions, there are LOTS of experts here. The only problem is, is figuring which ones are the experts and which ones are not. (Clue... I am not one of them, but I am willing to give it a shot.)

Feel free to stick around AFTER your trip too, and don't forget the Trip reports.... We love pictures too. Even "Prep" pictures.

I have always wanted to camp at Fort Wilderness and I'm finally going to get my chance. Yay!
We have been tent campers for many years and I always wanted to camp at Disney but couldn't convince the hubby to go through all the work of setting up a tent, etc. when you could get a value resort for not much more money. Eighteen months ago we bought a teardrop camper and I've been dying to take it the Fort. Finally booked for April 2018. I'll be hanging out here for the next 294 days (LOL) to learn everything I need to know before our trip. Hopefully the hubby gets hooked and it will be the first of many trips.

Here's a picture of our camper. (hopefully it shows up) Nope it didn't. I'll have to figure out how to load a picture.
I am the Disney lover in my family may parent decided to join me at the fort for my Birthday they got a 3 day pass and before the first day was done they up graded to at AP, we have another tried at the fort booked. I hope your DH is like my parents and become hooked too. The fort is so nice and peaceful and yet so much to do.

My husband was not a Disney fan either, until he stayed at the Fort last year....that vacation changed everything and we are returning again in November. I must say he tells everyone we chat with at other campgrounds how impressed he was with Fort Wilderness and that he really enjoyed his stay. These folks are the greatest with helping you out with any questions you have. Enjoy your trip!!!!

So lovely enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!