So, DD17 just ran over a skunk

Gumbo4x4

Note to the ladies who forgot to
HOLY SMOKES! I can smell the car from the living room and it's not even in the garage :crazy2:

Burn what?

The car, the living room, garage, or the whole house?

Do you have a cee-ment pond you can fill with tomato juice and give the car a bath?

I'm thinking we just burn the car for starters. And sadly, no ceee-mint pond. We're above ground.

I lived in a basement apartment years back and a skunk fell in the window well and couldn't get out. My landlord had the bright idea to kill it with a shovel. It was beyond awful. It was my bedroom window and I woke up whilst he was killing it. It felt like someone shoved garlic cloves up in my sinuses. I stunk so bad I had to call in to work. I had to take everything I owned that was fabric and bring it to my parents and wash 3 times each. I ended up throwing out all kinds of stuff. I didn't stay there for an entire month because it took a few weeks to get the smell out. I told my landlord I wasn't paying rent the next month because I didn't have use of the apartment for the previous month. He told me I was taking advantage of him because I had a trip planned. I than gave him an itemized list of everything I had to throw out, the time, supplies and energy it took to wash each load of laundry, my days wage for missing work and it added up to much more than my rent. He did apologize than and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I told him just waiving the rent was enough and left it at that.

So who's car is it? Is it yours or your wife's or is it a car for the kids? I hope it's not a primary vehicle. Man, I feel for you!

I lived in a basement apartment years back and a skunk fell in the window well and couldn't get out. My landlord had the bright idea to kill it with a shovel. It was beyond awful. It was my bedroom window and I woke up whilst he was killing it. It felt like someone shoved garlic cloves up in my sinuses. I stunk so bad I had to call in to work. I had to take everything I owned that was fabric and bring it to my parents and wash 3 times each. I ended up throwing out all kinds of stuff. I didn't stay there for an entire month because it took a few weeks to get the smell out. I told my landlord I wasn't paying rent the next month because I didn't have use of the apartment for the previous month. He told me I was taking advantage of him because I had a trip planned. I than gave him an itemized list of everything I had to throw out, the time, supplies and energy it took to wash each load of laundry, my days wage for missing work and it added up to much more than my rent. He did apologize than and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I told him just waiving the rent was enough and left it at that.

So who's car is it? Is it yours or your wife's or is it a car for the kids? I hope it's not a primary vehicle. Man, I feel for you!

We all share the car. It's the family car on weekends, DW drives it if DD rides the bus, or DD drives it on days she drives. I almost never get it during the week. On days when 2 of us drive, I get DW's crossover. When all 3 of us drive, I'm relegated to my truck. Pretty sure DD has it the rest of the week.

Your story reminded of a friend who tried to trap a skunk that lived under his house. He put a live trap by the hole & attached a 50-foot rope. He stretched the rope out straight, so when the skunk got trapped, he'd be able to stay 50-feet away while he slowly dragged the cage away from the house. Well, the skunk went in the trap, got trapped, and then reeled all 50 feet of rope into the trap LOL

Good luck! My daughter and son-in-law thought they had a squirrel in their ceiling. When they took some paneling down to try and free it, a skunk fell into the room. This was just the first of four encounters-of-the-skunk kind they experienced. Tomato juice does not really work.

I'm having flashbacks of watching the Patridge Family that time they ran over a skunk with a bus, tomato soup by the gallons.
Actually the skunk climbed onto the bus and did his business when Simone the dog encountered him. The skunk then got off the bus quite alive. I just recently saw that 1970 episode again!

Ugh. I feel for you! I hit a skunk with my car about two years ago. I drove it through a car wash - and paid extra for the undercarriage wash - about 10 times. I parked it on the street for like two months because parking it anywhere near the house made the whole house smell. Nothing helped to eliminate the odor except time.

It was pretty embarrassing when I pulled into the grocery store or Target for a looonnnnngggg time!

We all share the car. It's the family car on weekends, DW drives it if DD rides the bus, or DD drives it on days she drives. I almost never get it during the week. On days when 2 of us drive, I get DW's crossover. When all 3 of us drive, I'm relegated to my truck. Pretty sure DD has it the rest of the week.

Your story reminded of a friend who tried to trap a skunk that lived under his house. He put a live trap by the hole & attached a 50-foot rope. He stretched the rope out straight, so when the skunk got trapped, he'd be able to stay 50-feet away while he slowly dragged the cage away from the house. Well, the skunk went in the trap, got trapped, and then reeled all 50 feet of rope into the trap LOL
That is funny!

The stupid thing is that the city I lived in has an animal control officer that they could have called over to at least try to remove it safely/humanely.

We get skunks in our neighborhood especially garbage night. It's just like clockwork once I put it out we can smell them. I make sure to put my car in the garage especially on garbage night. I also bought a container to put the garbage in so will see how that works.

One time because we had our door open at night the smell was so strong right in our living area so we put bowls of vinegar out and it seemed to absorb the odor...

I hardly ever see dead skunk on the road. I smell them plenty, but never see them unlike the raccoons and opossums whose carcasses lie everywhere. I even see more deer on the side of the road than skunks.Just an observation...

Have fun with that...

Actually, the tomato soup is more old wives tale than fact, so don't go and empty the grocery store shelves. :D Best thing you can do is take it to a self service car wash and get the high pressure sprayer and really soap/rinse the undercarriage. Spray some air cleaner/freshener into the HVAC vents (not a lot, just a quick bit) and keep the windows open as much as you can. It'll go away with time. I hit one several years ago.

Someone hit one in the neighborhood a couple years ago. The smell was horrendous and carried for blocks. We were lucky enough to be four streets away and only could smell it when the wind shifted just right. People who lived within that block could smell it in their homes with the windows closed. I have no idea how they managed.

481e3a681bacaa009fb8b81b9e22657e--seinfeld-cars.jpg

My dad hit one a couple of years ago. He did the full wash plus undercarriage and it was still months. Same with dogs that get hit. Happened once to one of our dogs. We used peroxide, baking soda and something else - can't remember what the mix was. It lessened it somewhat, but for six months after every time it rained and she got even slightly damp, all we smelled was skunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter