So. Cal locals--how to figure out rush hour patterns? Drive from Ontario to Hun Beach

imjen

DIS Veteran
We're going to be driving from Ontario to Huntington Beach and vice-versa since we are staying with my grandparents there the first and last day of our trip. Google maps says the drive is just under 1 hour. Is that even close? What's the traffic like on that route and which freeways should I use? I just realized that we are due to arrive in Ontario during rush hour on Tuesday--yuck! :eek: Our flight gets in at 5:05. I was thinking we could be in Huntington Beach by 7ish but is that unrealistic? Is traffic bad going in that direction at that time? Help me get there please... :scared1: :disrocks:

****Changed flight time--see below*****

Just looked it up on google maps...and it says to take I-10 W, CA-57 S, CA-22 W & I exit at CA-39 (Beach Blvd). Does this sound like the best way to get to this area, with traffic patterns at that time of day (5-6 pm). How long do you think it will take? Thanks!

I'd go over to the 60, instead of the 10. You can get there by a simple surface street route from the airport. Tends to be better than the 10 most any time of day. Heading from Ontario to HB, you'll be going the opposite direction of some of the traffic, but you'll probably hit some trouble on the 57 from the 57/60 split to the 91 and possibly on the 22. Other than changing to the 60, I think the route you googled sounds like a good one. If your flight arrives at 5:05, by the time you get your rental car and hit the road, it'll probably be closer to 6:00, so you might just hit the tail end of traffic. Plan on 1:30 from the time you leave the airport and I think you'll probably be okay. Barring any unusal circumstances, that is.

imjen said:
Just looked it up on google maps...and it says to take I-10 W, CA-57 S, CA-22 W & I exit at CA-39 (Beach Blvd). Does this sound like the best way to get to this area, with traffic patterns at that time of day (5-6 pm). How long do you think it will take? Thanks!

I have to tell you CA 22 W is under major construction right now. You better give yourself an added half hour. It's horrendous cars merging onto the fwys. I say it will take you at least 1 1/2 hours to get to Huntington Beach.

Good Luck!

Instead of taking the 22, find your way to the 55 and go south. You will end up on the 405 north and you can exit beach blvd (highway 39).

I'm PMing you

Good news! I was able to change my reservation on southwest for free to an earlier time. We originally had the other time thinking that my dd could go to school for a couple hours in the morning but with the new security changes, we'd have to arrive at the airport early enough that she wouldn't really be able to go to class anyway. So we're going to avoid rush hour by departing at 8:30 am and arriving at 12:40. Would that time of day affect the route you guys suggested? Also, would I just take that same route in reverse when we leave Sunday morning. We go Oct 24-29 so I don't know if the same construction will still be going on at this time. Is there a place online I can get construction updates? Thanks!! :goodvibes

I checked the Cal Trans site, but it doesn't look like a whole lot of help with construction update information. You should be golden going at the time of day you're coming into town now. Another option, skipping the 22, is to take the 91 West to Beach Blvd and drive down from there. Will take a while, but probably no worse than taking the 22. The 22 construction is due to be there for a long time, but in the middle of the day you shouldn't hit anything too horrible there. Might be some slowdown, but not enough to delay you too horribly.

imjen said:
Good news! I was able to change my reservation on southwest for free to an earlier time. We originally had the other time thinking that my dd could go to school for a couple hours in the morning but with the new security changes, we'd have to arrive at the airport early enough that she wouldn't really be able to go to class anyway. So we're going to avoid rush hour by departing at 8:30 am and arriving at 12:40. Would that time of day affect the route you guys suggested? Also, would I just take that same route in reverse when we leave Sunday morning. We go Oct 24-29 so I don't know if the same construction will still be going on at this time. Is there a place online I can get construction updates? Thanks!! :goodvibes

Google Cal-Trans road conditions

From Ontario, you have two options.

1) Miss the traffic and start your trip at about 9:30am in the morning.

2) Start your trip at 6:30am BUT what are you going to do when you get to Disneyland? They open at 9:00am.

You will be driving on the I-15 to the Riverside (91) freeway west bound then onto the 57 south. The 91 and 57 freeways are murder during rush hour.

Typically, rush hour is 7:00am to about 9:00am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm every work day. Try to avoid these periods when commuting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!