So annoyed right now- stealing pictures, is this legal?

I agree with what's been said. I think most people are clueless about it, and would guess that's the case with your friend. I put the right click protection on all of my SmugMug pics when I upload, so they are not downloadable (short of having my actual password or superior technology skills as I guess there's a way). I like this feature since I take a lot of sports pics and other parents can know pics of their kids won't be all over the internet from me. (I explain this ahead of time and give them an "out" if they don't want pics of their kids posted on SM.) A watermark is helpful, too. Any "layers" you can put on your pics will help. Regardless, you do own the copyright to your pics and can make her take them down or charge her for using them. I think a simple conversation would have gone a long way on her part, though. I would not be happy in the situation you've described. The other day I got an email from SmugMug that someone I'd given a link to a long time ago just ordered some pics from me. My only regret since getting the Pro account now is not going back in and setting the price of my pics. :headache: I've got some work to do there. Great letter above, btw.

Speaking of clueless, I looked all over the privacy options on Smugmug and couldn't find the option to disable saving! Is that a pro perk or something that can be done on the regular $40 account? I'd love to be able to do that.

I honestly don't understand the problem. I would do just about anything for my friends and if my picture of an average tree helped her in any way I would let her use it. No questions asked. No payment needed. You don't even need to put my name on it. But hey on the waaaay off chance one of her clients is blown away by my picture if she were to say she was the one who snapped the picture THEN I would be upset.

It wasn't a question of letting her. If she had asked I would have been excited to let her use it. I never wanted payment (I'm not sure where anyone got that idea from- payment has been mentioned a few times on replies) all I wanted was some sort of recognition that she knew she wasn't just borrowing a shirt I bought from Kohls. She was "borrowing" something that meant a lot to me and that I put some work and effort into.

Speaking of clueless, I looked all over the privacy options on Smugmug and couldn't find the option to disable saving! Is that a pro perk or something that can be done on the regular $40 account? I'd love to be able to do that.

It wasn't a question of letting her. If she had asked I would have been excited to let her use it. I never wanted payment (I'm not sure where anyone got that idea from- payment has been mentioned a few times on replies) all I wanted was some sort of recognition that she knew she wasn't just borrowing a shirt I bought from Kohls. She was "borrowing" something that meant a lot to me and that I put some work and effort into.

Yeah. I wish my DH would quit pooping in the toilet I put work and effort into cleaning but I'm not going to hold my breath......or will I? :rotfl2:

Wow, you certainly have a snide and condescending side to you. You know, I didn't attack you at all before you started with your insults to me. Whatever bug you have up your butt, please get over it.

LOL... no bugs here. Just a thong.

Karen, right-click disabling isn't available at the basic ($40) level. You have to have at least the power ($60) level for it.

Let us know how things turn out.

Scanning the thread...

I don't know about smugmug, but some social media sites have in their terms that they own any picture you upload.

Might check that, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter