So...about these Dole Whips.....

On my recent trip, I tried a dole whip...and I thought it was just ok. If you like pineapple, you'll probably like it, but I found it underwhelming compared to the hype it gets.
To each his own.

This was my experience. After eating a few bites my reaction was, "Ummm..ok?? This is just a pineapple sorbet." heh

I've been to Disney over 20 times and I have yet to hear of this?! Where can you buy them. I wanna try the pineapple.

HeathieFeather said:
I've been to Disney over 20 times and I have yet to hear of this?! Where can you buy them. I wanna try the pineapple.

At MK just inside Adventureland!

Does anyone here remember Orange Julius?? Just the thought of that with a orange swirl ice cream -- Disney needs some of those instead of the Dole Whips. ::yes::

ErinsMommy said:
Does anyone here remember Orange Julius?? Just the thought of that with a orange swirl ice cream -- Disney needs some of those instead of the Dole Whips. ::yes::

We still have Orange Julius in the mall. It's combined with something else now, but I can't think right now what other restaurant it is (like the KFC/Taco Bell combinations).

We tried the float in April.. and I hated it. I don't think the juice was cold enough and it was just.. ugh. But after waiting 30 minutes in line for this darn thing, my dear mother refused to throw it out and drank it. She said it wasn't horrible, but not something she would eat/drink again.

This was my problem with it too. The room temp. juice made it undrinkable. We threw it away. I may try a swirl some day, but we though the float was horrible. It may have been good, if the juice was chilled.

Love, love, love the Dole whip! I've had just the cone before and then the float. I think both are really good. I love the sweet and tart. Can't wait to get one during our October trip. The only problem I've had is how fast they melt on hot days. You'd better get them down fast on those days. If not, your hands get all sticky.

Love the Dole Whip float! I actually can't eat full fat ice cream because of stomach/digestive issues, but I have no problem with the Dole whip. And I like that it's not too sweet. :)

vicki_c said:
We still have Orange Julius in the mall. It's combined with something else now, but I can't think right now what other restaurant it is (like the KFC/Taco Bell combinations).

Dairy Queen? That's what ours are combined with here.

I've only had the dole whip once, and it was pineapple/vanilla swirl in the pineapple juice. First couple bites, I thought it was okay but I was judging the people here on the Dis a bit for being so gaga. A few more bites of the pineapple "ice cream" and I got it. When I get it again I will absolutely not get the twist because that was odd to me. My verdict is still out on the float situation, as the pineapple juice was too sweet when I got it on the spoon, but it made for a delicious (albeit not cold, as other posters have mentioned) drink after the frozen treat was gone. Just hit on a different part of the tongue, I guess. I would definitely recommend that you try it, but with all the different options on how to get it, you may need to experiment a bit to see what exactly--if anything--you like.

FYI, it's not ice cream. It's a lactose-free dry mix that is fat free and cholesterol free. http://www.precisionfoods.com/foodservice/bnd_products_details.cfm?skuid=10922&id=103

Hmm, lactose free, I wasn't aware of that. This means i don't have to share one to prevent a belly ache or worse in the happiest place on earth. Just don't look too closely at the sugar content on the nutritional info. ;)

OP, I have only had it once and it was the pineapple float. I really enjoyed it and found it refreshing on a very hot early Sept. day. My partner and I will be back at WDW in 31 days and fully intend on getting another one.

Citrus Swirl
Citrus-Swirl1.jpg

Dole Whip
Dole%2BWhip%2BFloat2.jpg

I'm more of a Citrus Swirl girl myself. But usually we get one of each and share.

#1 for DH and #2 for me. imo the secret is to let the 'ice cream' melt just a bit...perfection! I'm usually a cheescake dessert gal, but only like it in a few restaurants @ WDW so I save the calories for MK!

I'm definitely a float girl myself. I usually get it with just the vanilla because I'm worried it'll end up too overwhelmingly pineapple, but after reading some of these, I may try it with the swirl on our next trip in December!

The rest of my family, like other posters here, aren't as fond of them as many DISers. They like them, but Don't go out of their way to get one; they have other treats that are their favs. To each his/her own, as we've said. I think it's definitely worth trying one, though!

For PP who asked where. The soft serve is also available at Capt. Cooks in the Poly. I don't know if the float is available there as we just get the soft serve.

I haven't seen it in my area at all. Since I'll be off next week I'll be heading to one of the busier malls I usually avoid -- maybe it'll be there!! :hyper: Thank you. :)

I know that I am in the minority, but tried them twice and just didnt care for them

Me too, except that I only tried it once. And I love pineapple! If I were ever moved to try it again, I would get the pineapple juice float.

Of course, I didn't like the Mickey ice cream bar either - I thought the chocolate tasted artificial and gummy. Once I picked off the chocolatey coating I did eat the ice cream inside, which was OK.

I've read a lot about how much people just :worship: the Dole Whip. I've had 2 WDW trips and one DLR trip but have yet to try one. I've read a bit about them and see that there you can get just ice cream, a float with pinapple juice and several other options. What is the BEST way to get one? I'm bound & determined to have one on our upcoming trip and want to make sure I do it right.:thumbsup2 Someone please set me straight!

Everyone has their own opinion but this is mine....if it is your 1st Dole Whip, I feel you should go with the classic regular Pineapple Dole Whip in a cup. I have also had the Vanilla/Pineapple swirl and DH has tried the float....all were very good. But for your first one, go with the classic :thumbsup2!

Way overrated. The orange creamsicle with vanilla ice cream combo is decent, but the pinapple is not good.

Sorry DW lovers! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter