Snorkeling Equipment on Castaway Cay

goofballs

Mouseketeer
Can anybody report on the type and of fins/snorkels/masks in the rental package on CC?

Snorkels: do they have the wave guard and purge valve for keeping water out of your mouth?

Fins: are they comfortable? Do they have youth sizing?

(In my head, I am picturing the hard plastic fins and an open cylinder tube snorkel.)

We have our own equipment and I was planning to bring it, but the idea of cleaning it and drying it out in our stateroom might be the deal breaker. Plus they just take up so much luggage room.

Now I am leaning towards our own masks and snorkels, and renting the package for just the fins.

I appreciate any suggestions!

The snorkels do not have a wave guard, it is an open top. Pretty sure there is also no purge valve.

The DCL snorkel lagoon equipment rental webpage "Gallery" has some pics of people wearing teh gear, which should give you an idea: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/castaway-cay-snorkel-lagoon-equipment-rental/

They have child size masks and fins.

I have read mixed word on whether it is possible to rent JUST fins or if one must do the entire snorkel package to get fins. Some say one some say the other.

SW

We bring our own snorkel gear with us. You are required to wear a vest, but you can pick those up from the lifeguard stands or the rental place free of charge.

The snorkels do not have a wave guard, it is an open top. Pretty sure there is also no purge valve.

The DCL snorkel lagoon equipment rental webpage "Gallery" has some pics of people wearing teh gear, which should give you an idea: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/castaway-cay-snorkel-lagoon-equipment-rental/

They have child size masks and fins.

I have read mixed word on whether it is possible to rent JUST fins or if one must do the entire snorkel package to get fins. Some say one some say the other.

SW

At least until the end of November (last time I was on the island) you could rent fins or a mask separately - from someone who used to sell them...

They have kid sized to clown feet sized fins, mask, vests.
If you get them and after a while they're too big or small just go and exchange them, it seems to be a pretty common problem that they don't fit amazingly. Quite a few people find they to need to size down...

We always bring our own snorkel and mask, not only for CC but our beach excursions as well. This time we plan to see if we can rent fins only at CC.

Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful.

I think we will just bring our masks and snorkels and take our chances with rental fins. I will report back in three weeks.

Just came back from a 7 night cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston. At Castaway Cay I was able to rent only fins at a cost of $16. So for those of you who would prefer to bring your own mask and snorkel and want to just rent fins they do allow that for $16 rather than having to pay the full cost to rent all the equipment. Also, there was a cast member at the entrance to the snorkel lagoon requiring everyone that was going snorkeling to inflate there "green snorkel vests". I was under the impression that wearing the vest was a requirement but inflating it was optional. Has anyone else been required to do this?

Just came back from a 7 night cruise on the Wonder out of Galveston. At Castaway Cay I was able to rent only fins at a cost of $16. So for those of you who would prefer to bring your own mask and snorkel and want to just rent fins they do allow that for $16 rather than having to pay the full cost to rent all the equipment. Also, there was a cast member at the entrance to the snorkel lagoon requiring everyone that was going snorkeling to inflate there "green snorkel vests". I was under the impression that wearing the vest was a requirement but inflating it was optional. Has anyone else been required to do this?
You don't have to inflate the vest while snorkeling. But they want you to do it to make sure you know how to and that the vest works. Then you can deflate it, if you wish.

Just wondering if CC do any prescription masks? I know our pre-booked excursions do not, so will be bringing our own prescription goggles anyway (prescription masks are too expensive), but thought I would just double check! :) I'm pretty sure the answer will be no!

Just wondering if CC do any prescription masks? I know our pre-booked excursions do not, so will be bringing our own prescription goggles anyway (prescription masks are too expensive), but thought I would just double check! :) I'm pretty sure the answer will be no!
No, just basic masks.

Resurrecting an old post to see if I can get some updated info regarding Castaway Cay snorkel rentals post COVID. Does anyone know if the rental protocols have changed since cruising resumed? Curious how this works now, as I would imagine some people may be concerned with putting a snorkel in their mouth that was recently in another person's mouth?

Resurrecting an old post to see if I can get some updated info regarding Castaway Cay snorkel rentals post COVID. Does anyone know if the rental protocols have changed since cruising resumed? Curious how this works now, as I would imagine some people may be concerned with putting a snorkel in their mouth that was recently in another person's mouth?

I would imagine most people would not want that even before the pandemic. But rest assured, they do sanitize the snorkel gear between users. I always bring my own gear because I have a better set than what they rent, but I would have no qualms using a rented set.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!