Smoking on veranda...

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
I read a stateroom review where the poster said that the guests next to them smoked on their veranda making it unpleasant for them to sit out on theirs and that the staff said they couldn't do anything about it. Is that a possibility? Are you allowed to smoke on your veranda?

I read a stateroom review where the poster said that the guests next to them smoked on their veranda making it unpleasant for them to sit out on theirs and that the staff said they couldn't do anything about it. Is that a possibility? Are you allowed to smoke on your veranda?
Time was it was allowed. It's no longer allowed.

Sign on the verandah:
fantasy 2014 close door sign 21070 P1030375 1500.jpg

No, you are not allowed to smoke on your veranda. Unfortunately, there are lots of people who ignore that rule. I've booked verandas twice on DCL and someone has violated that rule both times, so I no longer bother to book them.

You can call GS and supposedly they will assess the cabin with a $250 cleaning fee. I have a problem with that, also. If you aren't assessing them a $250 fee each time I call GS, then it's not really a deterent.

I say take pictures or video.

Last cruise someone a couple doors down was smoking on the veranda. I complained to Disney, and they dealt with it right away. Stopped within 20 minutes and never happened again. Then they left a gift in our room because of it.

That did not happen for me. Not only did the cabin continue, prompting a second call, but no gift.

Time was it was allowed. It's no longer allowed.

Sign on the verandah:
View attachment 219728

You'd think DCL could probably afford to have new signs made when they instituted that rule, maybe making mention of the $250 fee to boot.

We had that happen once, with cigars, but we could not tell where it was coming from, so we never called it in.

Yes, it has happened on every cruise line I've been on. I'm severely allergic, so I just don't book verandas anymore.

I think the hard part is how the cruise line "proves" who was smoking...so its hard to enforce. If smoking were an issue for us, we would not book a balcony.

The ships have places to smoke cigarettes. Easily accessible.

FWIW / PSA

Smoking sections Dream / Fantasy

Smoking is allowed on deck 13 portside of Currents Bar / forward / outside / open air / any time / Open to elements / Chairs

Also deck 4 portside / outside the bars / Promenade Deck / between 6pm - 6am. / Covered from elements / No Chairs

Meridian Bar / aft / Portside deck / Outside / any time / regardless if bar closed at midnight / Covered and Open / Chairs

HTH

Last edited:
I have noticed on the last two cruises that day 1 I can smell it on the verandah but didn't smell it again after that so I am thinking they were spoken too

Smoking is allowed on deck 13 portside of Currents Bar / forward / outside / open air / any time / Open to elements / Chairs

And the most annoying thing about that section is it is where the stairs are to Deck 13 so there is no way (without going inside and down and up) to get to Deck 13 without walking through the stench. NOT good planning on DCL's part - IMHO even worse than the elevator dump into the Adult Pool Area.

And the most annoying thing about that section is it is where the stairs are to Deck 13 so there is no way (without going inside and down and up) to get to Deck 13 without walking through the stench. NOT good planning on DCL's part - IMHO even worse than the elevator dump into the Adult Pool Area.

Great observation. :thumbsup2 It does make you wonder. ? ? ? And I agree. Smoking should be starboard on 13.
Perhaps it is port to appease the CL pax? ? ? Closer door access? ? ? That is way to thin though. It's what, another 50 feet to starboard from the existing space. Unlikely theory too..

The smoking section initially was starboard in that area for while, as it applied to both Dream Class vessels. So 2 years minimum. Some feel they moved it port so pax/press/TA's at Port Canaveral terminal would not see the smoking pax from the port. ? ? ? Not sure about that theory.? ? ?

All smoking is now port on all levels (3 specific locales) for what ever reason. Locations mentioned above.

ETA; I said "palaces" instead of "places" above in post #12, by mistake, prior to edit. No one said anything. lol.
You all are too kind, even regarding smoking. That's impressive. At least this week. lol.

Last edited:
I know Guest Services are hit and miss in how they react to issues. But they were great the one time we were next door to someone who was smoking on their verandah. I tried to be pleasant about it (I could see him hanging over the rail smoking) and casually asked him if he was aware smoking wasn't permitted on the verandahs anymore (even though it had been a few years that rule had been in place). He started ranting and raving like a lunatic (I later learned he ranted and raved like that all the time especially with his family - really feared for his kids) so I called Guest Services. I heard his phone ring just after I hung up with Guest Services (believe he was arrogant enough to say he had been smoking and would continue to do as he pleased - he wasn't exactly quiet and the walls weren't exactly thick). Later, my stateroom host thanked us for calling in and reporting him (I wouldn't expect the stateroom host to address it because it jeopardizes their tip but could tell the host was not a fan of this man either.) The host said Guest Services had called and told him it wasn't permitted and that he would be charged a $250 cleaning fee and if it happened again where the room had to be deep cleaned again, there would be another fee. It was a two week cruise so Guest Services did call back 3-4 days later to see if we had any other issues with smoking.

I saw the Dream sail away on the portcam last week and there were two people smoking away on their verandah. Camera zoomed in on them.

I've been on 5 cruise before and have gotten verandah every time. We have never had a problem with this. Going on the dream in 23 days, hope this doesn't happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter