Smoking and travel...yes i know you can't smoke ..but?

DianeL

DIS Veteran
My Mom smokes and has to travel for an emergency and I'm hoping I can get an answer before she leaves. I know most airports don't have places to smoke indoors (i've read a few have a smoking lounge and our newest terminal is one) and of course not at all on the flights. Typically she's fine and no problems when we fly down to Disney but this is an emergency and her stress levels are going to be out of this world right now.

Someone once mentioned to me about maybe those things that look like cigarettes but are to help you kick the habit cause they have whatever it is you crave in them but at such low doses. Anyways. Does anyone know if she would have problems with that? This came up when we were discussing a possible trip to Disneyland in the spring and I was worrying about her and the length of flight.

Add into the emergency and I just looked up her flight out and it is a connection. Her 1st ever and she's not traveling with friends or close enough family who will be supportive of her nerves. So I'm really hoping that this might help her if it is even possible.

I hope I made enough sense in all that, I've seen those commercials but never bothered to remember the name of them.

Thanks for any input on this.

You might try a nicotine patch or nicotine gum. I'm sure you'll have problem with anything you have to light with a match.

Not sure how you feel about this but???? I have a sister who is so nervous to fly she gets something from the doctor to calm her nerves???? Maybe the gum and something to help her anxiety? How does she feel about that? I sincerely hope that everything works okay for her. Maybe headphones too? If she can concentrate on music it might help block everything else out and make the time go by faster? Just an idea? Good luck to her.

My parents both smoke and flights are a bit traumatic for them... On 5 hour non-stop flights my mother would almost be in tears by the end... But after a bit they figured out a few things that helped. They chew the nicotine gum, my dad cuts a straw about the same length as a Camel and plays with that in his mouth, and they smoke as soon as they find a smoking lounge after they get off the plane. If she uses the straw, warn her not to light that instead of a cig. once off of the plane. My dad did that, but fortunately realized before inhaling:rolleyes: Funny for us non-smokers, although not for them... They also started taking Wellbutrin (sp?) - it's basically an anti-depressent that's supposed to help anxiety when you quit. Not that they actually quit, but it did help to calm them down when the considered quitting - lol. I hope all goes well for her:D

Originally posted by DianeL
My Mom smokes and has to travel for an emergency and I'm hoping I can get an answer before she leaves. I know most airports don't have places to smoke indoors (i've read a few have a smoking lounge and our newest terminal is one) and of course not at all on the flights. Typically she's fine and no problems when we fly down to Disney but this is an emergency and her stress levels are going to be out of this world right now.

Someone once mentioned to me about maybe those things that look like cigarettes but are to help you kick the habit cause they have whatever it is you crave in them but at such low doses. Anyways. Does anyone know if she would have problems with that? This came up when we were discussing a possible trip to Disneyland in the spring and I was worrying about her and the length of flight.

Add into the emergency and I just looked up her flight out and it is a connection. Her 1st ever and she's not traveling with friends or close enough family who will be supportive of her nerves. So I'm really hoping that this might help her if it is even possible.

I hope I made enough sense in all that, I've seen those commercials but never bothered to remember the name of them.

Thanks for any input on this.

If she does not have to light it, she should be fine. I am a smoker and I totally understand where she is coming from.
My trick, drink a couple of Gin Bloody Mary's and fall asleep. :)

There is also a new product called the commit lozenge. It is a nicotine tablet that you put between your lip and your gum (like Tabacco dip). I have used it just this week as I attempt to get off smokes.

It really does take away the withdrawal feelings - each one if used properly last anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hr.

Thank you all for your suggestions. She made it down with no problems but I will be keeping these suggestions for if we do go to DisneyLand.

The poor woman has her 1st change of planes and her 1st 50 seater all in one trip LOL After THAT she might be more then able to handle the 4 or so hours it takes to fly to CA LOL

Sorry for the delay getting back somehow I missed the posts about them changing the email notifications to "no" but I'm all set again and when I released that had happened I came looking for my post. No emails made me think no replies. So sorry for the delay.

Thank you all.

And Gail? I had travelled with a co-worker once to FL that had to order that, she felt more comfortable with that sort of drink. She was able to relax but not feel like she looked funny especially on those 7 am flights ;) I'm so glad I enjoy flying. Course those longer flights I might change my mind. But that would be bordem *Grin*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter