Smiles, Sand and Sunstroke!! A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime

What a bummer for your DS to be sun stroke at Disney. I'm a little worried about that for our upcoming trip. I don't handle the heat all that well but I'm planning on midday breaks, sunscreen, etc.

Glad to see you enjoyed Biergarten. It was/is on our list of places when we get there. :) I'm afraid I'll make a pig of myself with the pretzel bread and desserts. :lmao:

The RR picture is great!!!!! That's definitely a favorite of ours. Our DS is begging us to go on MS Orange. None of us have been so I'm thinking I'll be the crazy one as DH gets motion sickness. How bad was it?????? I'm guessing riding on an empty stomach would be a good idea.

Enjoy the beginning stages of planning your next trip! :)

So sad that your son was sick, but it looked like you and your daughter had a great time together. It is always fun to get one on one time.

Love the pic from the RR ride, and the pick with Mickey on the steps. I don't like too many of the photopass picks with the imaginary characters, but I love that one.

Loving your report!

All caught up! Very impressive day at AK.

Boma is one of our family's favorites as well. YUM!

I love that you have a little commando-in-training. One of my proudest moments from last year was realizing that my son Nate had inherited our Disney DNA.

I'm was so sorry to hear about your son being sick. That happened to us one year with Nate. :sick: It's such a bummer when you have to skip park time.

Was it your son who had an ear infection right before you left for the trip? Any chance that the antibiotics affected his sun-sensitivity?

I also finally caught up! You and your DD look like you had a great time together. I am sorry about your son though. Being sick at Disney has to be the worst ever!

I can't wait to hear about your last day!

Oh no poor DS. Glad he recovered to enjoy part of the day.

Can't believe your last full day is next. Your trip went so fast ;)

I finally made it over here...better late than never! :rotfl: Enjoying your TR and all the wonderful hints and great stories.

I have to tell you I laughed so hard at you all singing the theme from Rocky. Only in my mind what I thought of was the theme to "Rocky and Bullwinkle" which I was having a difficult time remembering. Needless to say I was laughing so hard at a guy running with pink sneakers to the theme song of either song.

Sorry that you son was so ill and missed an entire day with the family.

Angel16

Finally all caught up again! So sorry your wee boy was unwell (knew this was coming from YC/BC thread) but glad you were able to salvage some of the day:)
Love the ride photo with your daughter. The lego shop looks amazing-it was being redone when I was last there-def worth a visit!
Lokking forward to your last day but sorry that your TR will be almost done soon!
I've really enjoyed reading along:)

So sorry about your DS being sick! It is rough just being sick but sick at Disney:eek:! It has happened to us too when our son had an allergic reaction to something he ate at one of the parks. His eyes had swollen shut by the time we had gotten to first aid for some Benedryl. (First Aid at WDW is great if you have to use it)

Looks like you made the best of the situation though and your DH was so wonderful to stay with DS so you and DD could still enjoy the day. Going to DTD once he was feeling better was a nice way to end the day! Even if you did run into a couple of rude guests. Unfortunately, we have managed to run into those every trip to Disney. It bothers me but I also believe in karma so I know they will get what's coming someday!!:laughing:

I can't believe your TR is almost over......hoping it all ended on a great note!

Feckless:

OMG, your son looks like he's in heaven in those pictures!!!! I know what's coming so I'll keep my mouth shut. Still, I'm willing to bet this trip to Biergarten will stay in his memory for years to come. So I guess it's worth it. Sorry about the spill.

Biergarten is on my ADR list and JanetMom just went there on her trip report also. It just looks like so much fun!

Even though I know what's coming... looking forward to your next installment.

Yes, my mini TR on the BC thread certainly killed some of the suspense!!! He hasn't had chocolate milk since. LOL I'm just glad it wasn't something nutritious!

Your son is such a trooper. Can't wait to see what's in store for your last day.

He really is a trooper. He was a dream for 99% of this vacation, which is something quite new for us! LOL

What a bummer for your DS to be sun stroke at Disney. I'm a little worried about that for our upcoming trip. I don't handle the heat all that well but I'm planning on midday breaks, sunscreen, etc.

Glad to see you enjoyed Biergarten. It was/is on our list of places when we get there. :) I'm afraid I'll make a pig of myself with the pretzel bread and desserts. :lmao:

The RR picture is great!!!!! That's definitely a favorite of ours. Our DS is begging us to go on MS Orange. None of us have been so I'm thinking I'll be the crazy one as DH gets motion sickness. How bad was it?????? I'm guessing riding on an empty stomach would be a good idea.

Enjoy the beginning stages of planning your next trip! :)

We are all from the North Atlantic area, so we aren't used to heat at all. When we went in August, we almost died, but we dealt and got used to it. DD and DS, being half Italian/Spanish should really have more sun tolerance, but unfortunately got my white English skin... :( I doubt if anyone would be in the sun as long as DS was that day - he was in the pool from about 10 a.m. until about 4 p.m.!!!! No wonder he got sunstroke!

If you can't make a pig of yourself at Disney, well, where can you??? LOL

As for Mission Space, I was prepared for it to be terrible for me, but I really enjoyed it. I did take a Gravol before I left the room, however. I was WAY worse after Dragon Challenge at WWOHP. THAT one was really fun but made me :sick:

So sad that your son was sick, but it looked like you and your daughter had a great time together. It is always fun to get one on one time.

Love the pic from the RR ride, and the pick with Mickey on the steps. I don't like too many of the photopass picks with the imaginary characters, but I love that one.

Loving your report!

DD and I got TOO much one on one time! I should have stayed with DS one of those days. I still feel guilty about that!

All caught up! Very impressive day at AK.

Boma is one of our family's favorites as well. YUM!

I love that you have a little commando-in-training. One of my proudest moments from last year was realizing that my son Nate had inherited our Disney DNA.

I'm was so sorry to hear about your son being sick. That happened to us one year with Nate. :sick: It's such a bummer when you have to skip park time.

Was it your son who had an ear infection right before you left for the trip? Any chance that the antibiotics affected his sun-sensitivity?

Dee, DING DING DING!!! I never even thought of it, but I'll bet you are right with the antibiotics combined with the sun. I should have asked for Cipro! DUH!!!

I also finally caught up! You and your DD look like you had a great time together. I am sorry about your son though. Being sick at Disney has to be the worst ever!

I can't wait to hear about your last day!

Sick at Disney did suck for sure. DS is still upset about missing out on Sci Fi, Muppets, GMR...

Oh no poor DS. Glad he recovered to enjoy part of the day.

Can't believe your last full day is next. Your trip went so fast ;)

Yes, it sure did. I kinda don't want to finish the report!! :lmao:

I finally made it over here...better late than never! :rotfl: Enjoying your TR and all the wonderful hints and great stories.

I have to tell you I laughed so hard at you all singing the theme from Rocky. Only in my mind what I thought of was the theme to "Rocky and Bullwinkle" which I was having a difficult time remembering. Needless to say I was laughing so hard at a guy running with pink sneakers to the theme song of either song.

Sorry that you son was so ill and missed an entire day with the family.

Angel16

Singing the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme would have been hilarious!!! :rotfl2: He "doesn't run much" these days either (read that as you will!) so it made it even funnier, plus he is a guy that certainly doesn't take himself seriously so there was no offending him!!

Finally all caught up again! So sorry your wee boy was unwell (knew this was coming from YC/BC thread) but glad you were able to salvage some of the day:)
Love the ride photo with your daughter. The lego shop looks amazing-it was being redone when I was last there-def worth a visit!
Lokking forward to your last day but sorry that your TR will be almost done soon!
I've really enjoyed reading along:)

I loved that ride photo. If I had my time back I would be ALL OVER the Photopass +. Getting it next time for sure!

Thanks for reading.

So sorry about your DS being sick! It is rough just being sick but sick at Disney:eek:! It has happened to us too when our son had an allergic reaction to something he ate at one of the parks. His eyes had swollen shut by the time we had gotten to first aid for some Benedryl. (First Aid at WDW is great if you have to use it)

Looks like you made the best of the situation though and your DH was so wonderful to stay with DS so you and DD could still enjoy the day. Going to DTD once he was feeling better was a nice way to end the day! Even if you did run into a couple of rude guests. Unfortunately, we have managed to run into those every trip to Disney. It bothers me but I also believe in karma so I know they will get what's coming someday!!:laughing:

I can't believe your TR is almost over......hoping it all ended on a great note!

How scary with your DS! Was it a fluke thing or does he have allergies? My DD had two allergic reactions (second one way worse than the first) back 6 or 7 years ago and to this day we have no idea what caused her to react. She had a full series of allergy tests, and we did a food log from the previous couple of days, but we never found out.

The rude guests just give you something to talk about!! LOL

Can I just tell you how SUPER your trip report is!!! I am all caught up and I'm loving EVERY word! You are doing a fantastic job and I will be very sad when your report comes to an end. You simply must consider going back again sometime soon so you will have more material to report on!

I can see your next trip as being a split stay between BC and AKL. Now tell the truth... have you worked out when your next trip to WDW will be? You KNOW you can't stay away!

~NM

All caught up!

So sorry to hear about your DS' sick day.:sick: Sunstroke is no fun, but it's good he at least got some rest!!!

LOVE the Lego store, so much fun! Almost makes the bus drama to/from DTD worth it!:goodvibes

We got so lost at AKL ourselves when heading to dinner at Jiko. I was confused that I had to go down once we got inside, but the view from there was rather lovely. We're going to have to try Boma at some point as well.

Also, agree on Lunch vs Dinner ADRs. We hardly make lunch reservations now, it's almost too much of a hassle to rush around trying to get to/from each place.

Looking forward to hearing about the last day....

I already commented on the last update, but I was just re-reading and I wanted to say that I love the shirt your DS wore to the DTD. It is all pixelated just like the Lego figures.

I will be sad too when your trip, and report comes to an end. :sad1:

How scary with your DS! Was it a fluke thing or does he have allergies? My DD had two allergic reactions (second one way worse than the first) back 6 or 7 years ago and to this day we have no idea what caused her to react. She had a full series of allergy tests, and we did a food log from the previous couple of days, but we never found out.

The rude guests just give you something to talk about!! LOL

How scary for you! An allergic reaction without knowing the cause would seem scarier to me!!:scared1: We at least knew what happened.

My DS was diagnosed with peanut and egg allergies 5 days before we left on that trip to WDW, which was our first trip too. Since we were new to WDW we had no idea about mentioning food allergies when dining so we were just trying our best to be careful. Unfortunately, it didn't work when we were at the Sci-Fi. The next year I did all of our booking, instead of using a TA, which lead me to all kinds of information that the TA couldn't provide. From then on we noted the allergies on all of our ADRs and the chef would come out at every restaurant to walk us through the menu on what he could and couldn't have. One even made him a special order of chicken fingers without the egg. Disney does great at handling food allergies!! Thankfully he has outgrown the egg allergy and we are just left with the peanut one.:yay:

Day 10 - Last Disney Day - MK Solo EMH Rope Drop!!! (Part 1)

DD and I had arrived back at the room late (probably after 11) and she and DS were both dead to the world when I woke up at about 6:30 a.m. DH woke up a bit, but he didn’t look terrifically bright eyed and bushy tailed! Plus, deep in my heart, I just wanted to get up and go and spend some alone time at MK, on my own schedule. I think balancing the interests of our large group had worn down on my control freak tendencies. The other family wasn’t interested in going back to the MK for the third time, so their plan was Blizzard Beach.

I hit the shower, I grabbed a latte to go and a croissant from the lounge, and headed straight for the bus. My streak of not waiting for a bus was unbroken! LOL Bus was right there, and I walked straight on, silently gloating over the fact I was only responsible for myself as I watched everyone schlepping the strollers on the bus! As much as I miss my kids as toddlers, I am so glad that we are past that stage when I see what a pain it is to lug that stuff around.

I was getting more and more excited as MK got closer and closer. Soon, I was at my first rope drop, ever. I loved the little welcome show. I loved being there in the crowd. I LOVED just being able to stop and take pictures because I only had myself to worry about!

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

Soon the crowd (and I use the term loosely!) was heading in to the MK. I was so excited!

DSC00457.jpg

Snapped a few more mostly empty MK shots!

DSC00459.jpg

Here comes the carriage!

DSC00458.jpg

I stopped for a couple of (pathetic!) solo PP pictures. Even told them to do a Magic Shot. LMAO. Next thing you know, I’ll be trying to get an appointment at BBB. HA HA HA

35387510106.jpg

My favourite statue of all time!

DSC00462.jpg

On our somewhat frustrating MK day, we missed the Fantasyland rides, so that was my first step. I wanted to make sure that I rode Snow White’s Scary Adventures since it was scheduled to close at the end of the month. Also, it isn’t a trip without It’s a Small World! First up:

DSC00463.jpg

You know, the kids didn’t really like this last time, but I really enjoyed it. It was a walk on, and I didn’t feel guilty just taking up one seat. Next up, IASW. As I was in the (very short and fast moving) line, I posted the following status update to Facebook: “Last day at Disney conclusion: there are few things in life more pathetic than a grown woman riding "It's a Small World" all alone. Not that I would know. Ahem.” :lmao:

Got in a boat, had a whole row to myself, and I took a few NON FLASH pictures.

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

After that, I headed to Snow White. I got the Grumpy car. LOL I enjoyed it! Love that it has the clips from the actual movie.

I was going to go on the Winnie the Pooh ride but felt like that would put me over the pathetic top. :rotfl: So, I headed to Mickey's Philharmagic. Definitely my favourite 3D movie in the park. By this point, I was feeling a tiny bit lonely and the thrill of being there alone was wearing off. I texted DH and it turned out the kids were itching to come join me, after they grabbed breakfast in the lounge. Fine by me! It was a gorgeous day, and I was looking forward to sharing more time in MK with just our family.

I knew that I wanted to ride HM again, so I headed that way. Saw the Sorcerer’s kiosk - definitely something I want to do next time! I had something specific in mind though - Sleepy Hollow! I got a Nutella and fruit waffle sandwich and a coffee. SO GOOD. I ate it in the sunshine and spent my time people watching. Knowing I was going back to our cold and foggy spring I wanted to soak up as much vitamin D as humanly possible - up to this point I was very particular about staying out of the sun but I kind of wanted to get a bit of colour! After the best meal EVER (LOL) I headed over to HM. Walked straight on there. Had a chance to get a couple of pictures of the queue. I love this queue the best in all of Disney.

HMqueue1.jpg

729.jpg

Loved my ride on HM, and was so glad I got to do it a second time. I was checking on ride times over the park, and decided that I would head over to Adventureland. The Dole Whip store wasn’t open yet (and I was still FULL from the Sleepy Hollow waffle sandwich!) so I hit the Jungle Cruise. This and HM are two of the few rides that I remember from previous visits to MK as a child, so I have a soft spot for this one. Got on the boat and loved the corny banter! Here’s a few pictures:

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

After the Jungle Cruise, I wanted to check out the new/old Tiki Room. I loved it - way better than the Gilbert Godfrey version, and it was nice to sit in the AC. While I was in there, I got a text from DH that he and the kids were on the way! Yahoo! By this time, I was feeling a bit lonely, and looking forward on sharing the rest of the day with them.

I decided to go down to Main Street and do some shopping at the jewelry store. I wanted to get a Mickey Charm for my Pandora bracelet and I found a perfect one with crystal Mickey heads on each side. Woot! Picked up a pair of hidden Mickey earrings in my birthstone for about $15 too. Finally a souvenir for me, not the kids! LOL It was a perfect ending to my alone time in the MK, but our MK day was just beginning.

Next up: Family Time at MK! And a lovely surprise (video included)

Great report! I would love to do rope drop at MK on my own - sounds so peaceful and free. :)

Yay.... Another great Installment! but I am so sad that we only have half a day left with the trip. :guilty:

I just loved that you had time for yourself! Isn't it great???

Thanks for another great installment!

:woohoo: and :banana::banana::banana:

for solo time in the MK!!!

What a fantastic morning!

No negotiating, no whining, no arguing.

Just you, yourself and you!

:cloud9:

Sounds like your solo morning at MK was great! And :yay: for getting yourself souvenirs! I love the Chamilia beads. I actually started my bracelet there rather than getting a pandora because of the Disney charms and beads. Oh, and if you do decide to take the Disney cruise, they have an exclusive DCL charm on board that you can add to your pandora.

We are now at a bittersweet time in your TR.....I can't wait to hear how the rest of your MK day went once your family joined you but it will also mean it's the end. :sad2:

Great report! I would love to do rope drop at MK on my own - sounds so peaceful and free. :)

It really was one of my favourite moments of the trip. :thumbsup2

Yay.... Another great Installment! but I am so sad that we only have half a day left with the trip. :guilty:

I just loved that you had time for yourself! Isn't it great???

Thanks for another great installment!

Thanks for reading! I am NOT looking forward to finishing, because I've enjoyed doing this report so very much...

:woohoo: and :banana::banana::banana:

for solo time in the MK!!!

What a fantastic morning!

No negotiating, no whining, no arguing.

Just you, yourself and you!

:cloud9:

Yep, that just about says it all!!! :lmao:

Sounds like your solo morning at MK was great! And :yay: for getting yourself souvenirs! I love the Chamilia beads. I actually started my bracelet there rather than getting a pandora because of the Disney charms and beads. Oh, and if you do decide to take the Disney cruise, they have an exclusive DCL charm on board that you can add to your pandora.

We are now at a bittersweet time in your TR.....I can't wait to hear how the rest of your MK day went once your family joined you but it will also mean it's the end. :sad2:

I love my charm... :goodvibes Thanks for reading! I'm sad it's almost over too!

What a fantastic way to spend your morning, a little "me" time is always great!:goodvibes

Getting to the park early is really the best feeling ever. We still haven't seen the opening show (hopefully next trip), but that's because we get the first breakfast reservation of the day in the park and walk out to fantasyland right after - usually just as the park is opening.

Great pictures, as well!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter