Smart tv?

jms920

Mouseketeer
Anyone own one? Do you like it, is it worth it? What brand do you own and which is best?

Thanks, JoAnn

Yes, we have one of those and we use the connected television technology, though not necessarily precisely the way you're suggesting. (We have to use some alternate devices, because my wife is hearing impaired.)

Generally, you're not going to find a new, high quality television for sale, with the superior components and craftsmanship that will foster high reliability, that doesn't have that kind of technology in it. Connected television technology has come down so far in price that televisions don't charge more for it; rather television manufacturers simply include connected television technology in better televisions, and leave it out of lesser televisions. It is one of several things you can use to tell the difference between a better television and a lesser television.

So I wouldn't focus on connected television technology as a feature that you either need or don't need, but rather focus on it as an indicator of good versus not-so-good. If you don't need or want the connected television technology, you can just ignore it.

3D is pretty-much the same way: It isn't a good idea to eliminate televisions that support 3D, figuring that you don't need that feature, because the reality is that practically all the better televisions offer 3D compatibility, and so if you want a better television - a better 2D television - then you're best advised to buy a television that just happens to have 3D compatibility in it, and ignore the 3D feature.

The best televisions out there right now are Samsung and Panasonic. LG is in third. The rest are far back. Sony, Toshiba and Sharp make up the second tier of television manufacturers, these days - Sony having fallen pretty far in the last few years. Then come the lesser televisions, from Vizio, JVC, Hitachi, Philips, etc. At the very bottom are the televisions that are truly junk: Westinghouse, Funai, Sanyo, etc.

In terms of connected television technology, no one has really pulled out in front of the rest yet. Samsung is very good, and has gobs and gobs of people using it, which seems to put it up front, but it is way too early to tell.

WOW thank you for the info. We were looking at a Samsung. I thought the picture was far superior to the others displayed around it. I appreciate your knowledgeable input.

JoAnn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter