Smart Phone Verizon Data Plans

D L and K's Mom

<font color=blue>D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!<
I thought I read something here that there was some kind of increase in the data package price but people were grandfathered in? Does anyone have any info on this? Hubby just came home with new phones for him and DD abd they are both paying $29.00 a month. Thanks.

I heard next month they will be eliminating the unlimited packages.. if you already have the package it you will be able to keep it but they will no longer offer it.. also if you have to alter your plan in any way you should probably do it before they make the changes because you will be considered a new customer if you do it after and will not be able to keep the unlimited

He has an unlimited data plan but its $29. I thought there was a cheaper one.....

There are cheaper data plans with Verizon but they are very limited.
My DH has the unlimited plan for his Smartphone for $29. My phone is not a smartphone. I have the $10/month data plan but it is very limited and I don't use it at all. (But was required with the phone.)

On July 7 Verizon is reported to be ditching the current, unlimited Data plan and going to tiered pricing.

Currently, they only offer a $30/month unlimited data plan. They got rid of the smaller data plan recently.

After July 7th, it goes like this.
2gb/month $30
5gb/month $50
10gb/month $80

You can be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan if you currently have it or sign up for it before the 7th.

Do keep in mind, though, that being grandfathered in means that you still have the ability to select that plan, i.e., have unlimited service. It does not mean that your price won't go up. It is probably that over time (i.e. not immediately) all service providers still offering unlimited service will increase the price, markedly if necessary to ensure that those subscribers bear the brunt of the cost of providing additional capacity in the network that their heavy usage may consequently incur.

There are cheaper data plans with Verizon but they are very limited.
My DH has the unlimited plan for his Smartphone for $29. My phone is not a smartphone. I have the $10/month data plan but it is very limited and I don't use it at all. (But was required with the phone.)

Just a note on the required $10/month data plan on the phone, it has been eliminated, but did not tell their customers. I would call Verizon Customer Service and see if you can take that off.

How do you know how many gb you are currently using?

From the Terms and Conditions:
You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Verizon online, or by contacting Customer Service.
From the General Information:
What tools does Verizon Wireless offer to help me monitor and manage my data, text and voice usage? What charges, if any, apply to each of these tools?

We have several free tools you can use to manage your account and monitor your usage. You can monitor your account online or from your phone with My Verizon. We also have numbers you can call free of charge from your device to check your voice and data usage.
I don't have Verizon, but I suspect this URL will get you to the monitor:

https://myaccount.verizonwireless.com/clp/login?redirect=/vzw/mobilesecure/MobileSecureUsage.action

I heard next month they will be eliminating the unlimited packages.. if you already have the package it you will be able to keep it but they will no longer offer it.. also if you have to alter your plan in any way you should probably do it before they make the changes because you will be considered a new customer if you do it after and will not be able to keep the unlimited

The one bonus is that currently it's looking like those that have unlimited data will also be able to keep it even if they upgrade their phone after 7/7.
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

DH and I just got Iphones yesterday. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the salesmen about this. The only thing they could tell me for sure is the change does take effect 7/7/11. They also were somewhat sure that we could upgrade or change phones in the future and still keep our Unlimited plan. They said they had not been given much info beyond that.

DS had the $10 plan but I went ahead and changed his to unlimited as well. He's not due for a new phone until December and I had planned to get him a smart phone for Christmas. My fingers and toes are crossed that they are right and he'll be grandfathered even with a phone upgrade. This was a bit of a gamble that I hope I don't lose.

Seriously?! Crap!

My DS is saving for an iPhone and he is still about $100 away. Guess I'll need to front him the money and get him on the unlimited dealy. I don't want to have to stress over his data usage.

I just got a verizon iphone 16g from walmart for $147 plus tax. I am not the primary account holder - my husband is. It extended my contract for two years. I added the unlimited data right at Walmart. Easy and a good deal too! This "rollback" has been going on for several days and I actually got the last one at our Walmart. I was hoping for white, but got black and a cute pink cover.

Seriously?! Crap!

My DS is saving for an iPhone and he is still about $100 away. Guess I'll need to front him the money and get him on the unlimited dealy. I don't want to have to stress over his data usage.

This is giving me a *huge* headache, because none of us in our household have data plans (budgetary reasons), but DS16 has been begging for one consistently. He'll be on our friends and family plan at least through college (if not beyond), so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. But it is $30/month, and that's a lot of $$ towards college.

Sigh.

Terri

... so I feel like if I don't put the unlimited data plan on *now*, we're in trouble. ...
A couple of people have said this in this thread, and I feel compelled to reiterate something I said earlier: Although folks with unlimited data plans now may be grandfathered in going forward, that only ensures that they can select that option: There is nothing preventing service providers from doubling, tripling or quadrupling the cost of that option for those grandfathered in, as time goes on. If you need/want unlimited now, then surely get it, but it seems unclear to me that unlimited plans will remain a good deal, financially, going forward.

well i think you are grandfathered in not because you own the phone, but because you sign up for a contract with verizon. since it is a contract that customers are locked into i would hate to see what would happen if verizon tried to change customers plans, raise prices, and then try to charge them for getting out of the contract.

hopefully economics will start to come into play soon, and as prices go up they will lose customers, and have to lower prices again to keep the ones they have. im choosing to see the data plan as half full. :goodvibes

Just a note on the required $10/month data plan on the phone, it has been eliminated, but did not tell their customers. I would call Verizon Customer Service and see if you can take that off.

If someone was already on the $9.99 plan, it is most likely grandfathered, so while they may not offer it to new customers the ones with it will still have it.
If the pp has a smartphone that requires a data plan they won't take it off, or if they do they will have to put her on the unlimited plan. Verizon will not waive the cost because you don't use the data. The only way to not have to pay for a data plan, is get a phone that doesn't require one.

If someone was already on the $9.99 plan, it is most likely grandfathered, so while they may not offer it to new customers the ones with it will still have it.
If the pp has a smartphone that requires a data plan they won't take it off, or if they do they will have to put her on the unlimited plan. Verizon will not waive the cost because you don't use the data. The only way to not have to pay for a data plan, is get a phone that doesn't require one.

The person who was talking about the $10 plan did not have a smartphone, so they could call and have it removed now, as it is no longer required.

The person who was talking about the $10 plan did not have a smartphone, so they could call and have it removed now, as it is no longer required.

In their post they said it was required with their phone but also stated it wasn't a smartphone. ASFAIK Verizon doesn't require non smart phones to pay for a data plan so I'm really confused :confused:

In their post they said it was required with their phone but also stated it wasn't a smartphone. ASFAIK Verizon doesn't require non smart phones to pay for a data plan so I'm really confused :confused:

Yes, as of January 2010 they did require the $9.99 data plan on all but a couple of their most basic phones. Apparently they have quietly done away with that, and if you have that required plan now, you can call and have them remove it. My friend just did that for her daughters EnV3 last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter