slo’s THURSDAY 9/28 poll - Kielbasa/Polish Sausage

Kielbasa/Polish Sausage - What’s your opinion of it and how often do you eat it? (m.c.)

• I love it ❤️

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • I like it 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • It’s just ok 😐

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • It’s edible 😶

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I don’t like it 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • I eat it multiple times a year

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • I eat it once in awhile - not that often

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • I eat it rarely

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • I never eat it

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Despite my Polish heritage, I can't stand it. Must be all those years when I was forced to eat it.

It's a staple in our house for the carnivores. Cheap, easy, quick. I just coin it and toss with onions, cabbage, and usually carrots. All cooked up together. They all love it.

I love Kielbasa...most people in my old part of Philly call it 'Kuhbassy.' I'm spelling the pronunciation phonetically. When I make it I cook it in sauerkraut and some beer, and we have boiled potatoes on the side. I haven't had it in a while, though. Sausages of any kind are not allowed on my diet. I didn't miss it until this thread, and may have to treat myself to some...maybe when I get to 75 pounds lost.

We have kielbasa and pierogi for supper couple times a month. It's quick and easy and we all like it.
My DD20 would love to live with you. Pierogies are her favorite, but I only make them every 3 months (all my meals are in a 3 month rotation). My DD thinks I’m a terrible mother for only making these 4 times a year :lmao:

My DD20 would love to live with you. Pierogies are her favorite, but I only make them every 3 months (all my meals are in a 3 month rotation). My DD thinks I’m a terrible mother for only making these 4 times a year :lmao:
You have 3 month meals plans! Share them if you can! I could never come up with 3 months of meals!

Reactions: slo
You have 3 month meals plans! Share them if you can! I could never come up with 3 months of meals!
I’ll try to remember to post my system later - I’m heading to work in a few minutes so I can’t do it now.

I had never even heard of kielbasa until I married my beautiful Polish wife. Being the son of Irish immigrants, I grew up on meat and potato’s and fish on Friday. First time having kielbasa and Polish food was the first Easter we were married. Loved it and all the other food immediately. Now we have it once a month or so and on Easter it’s fresh made kielbasa from a local family owned store.

My 3 month rotation system started about 7 years ago. I like trying new recipes and I didn’t want to forget about them if the family liked them. I decided to keep a log of my recipes in my phone calendar on one day only, which is Thursdays. I go to 3 months from the day I made it and go to the following Thursday. When I enter it, I put it on repeat for every Thursday. Once I make it again, I move it on the calendar for 3 months from that day. This worked so well, that I started putting everything I make, that the family likes, in the rotation - even everyday things like tomato soup & grilled cheese. This way, I’m never making the same thing over and over again.

When I enter the recipe in the calendar, I always write where the recipe is located so I don’t forget.

Because I’ve been doing this so long, I’ve accumulated a lot of recipes. Many I make longer than every 3 months, because there’s not enough time. This rotation has helped me so much - I don’t overbuy at the grocery store and we rarely eat out, which saves so much money. Another plus is I’m never leaving the grocery store not knowing what I’m making for dinner - I hated going to the store, spending a ton of money and still not knowing what we’ll be eating.

Here’s the pictures from my calendar for the upcoming Thursday…
IMG_1996.jpegIMG_1997.jpegIMG_1998.jpegIMG_1999.jpegIMG_2001.jpegIMG_2002.jpegIMG_2003.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions. This system does take discipline to log everything and move it. I’ve told many people about it and they say they could never do it. I don’t know why - it’s super easy. Every week I look at my next Thursday, pick the items I want, write down the ingredients, go to the store and done ✅. Very easy!

Not a fan. I don’t care for most sausages, especially ones that are links.

My family loves kielbasa and sometimes when my family eats it we have it with macaroni and cheese but i'm not too crazy about it and prefer New York sausage over kielbasa. Now my mom can't get enough of polish sausage and when my family would eat at Costco's food court my mom would get herself a polish sausage with everything on it and the Costco polish sausages are giant and she used to share hers with Dad all the time. Sadly we don't go eat at Costco's food court much anymore but my mother really adored the polish sausages there and she also likes polish sausage sandwiches too

@slo - your meal plan is impressive. I have a hard time even coming up with the weekly menu in advance.

My ancestors are all polish. However “kuhbassy” as my family called it also was not something I would eat. Thankfully, my parents only made it a few times a year. They always had it sliced with sauerkraut(ew). So my parents and sister would eat that and I would stay in my room into the smell from their dinner dissipated.

They never made pierogies on the same night. Wish they did because I love them 😍

Reactions: slo
@slo - your meal plan is impressive. I have a hard time even coming up with the weekly menu in advance.

My ancestors are all polish. However “kuhbassy” as my family called it also was not something I would eat. Thankfully, my parents only made it a few times a year. They always had it sliced with sauerkraut(ew). So my parents and sister would eat that and I would stay in my room into the smell from their dinner dissipated.

They never made pierogies on the same night. Wish they did because I love them 😍

So, you wouldn't be impressed that I eat a can of sauerkraut, cold from the can?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter