slo’s THURSDAY 6/9 poll - Vegetable Garden

Vegetable Garden - Do you plant one and what do you plant? (Multiple choice)

• Yes - I plant a vegetable garden

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • No - I do not plant a vegetable garden

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Cucumbers or pickles or both

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Tomatoes

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • Green peppers or red peppers or yellow peppers or all

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Green beans or lettuce or cabbage or all

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Eggplant or zucchini or both

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Banana Peppers or Hot peppers or both

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Onions or potatoes or both

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 19 20.4%

• Total voters
I always have culinary herbs growing -- parsley, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, thyme. (Basil in summer)
Then there is always something out there in the yard to pick to eat, depending on time of year. Winter: Kale, little cabbages, radishes, lettuce, beet greens. Summer: Tomatoes, different kinds of peppers, lots of yellow summer squash, scallions, more kale lol.
I really enjoy both the work and the fresh produce.

Edit to add I plant tiny pumpkins for the grandkids. They paint them at Halloween.

I would love to plant vegetables but I'm not sure how to grow and keep rabbits and other critters out.
I do have an herb garden, I love having fresh herbs to add to dishes and cocktails

Not allowed to have a garden where I am now (rent). I tried a tomato plant in a container, but I only have a sliver of sun that moves across the property. Maybe half hour of sun at any one point of ground.

I have basil in my containers now. I have a bunch this year because I found I was doing it wrong trimming leaves as I needed and freezing extra when I trimmed. I should be taking the top down to the lowest node and letting it bush up. I dried some last year and it was fantastic. I'm going to trim this year correctly and dry a lot more. Then I'll have jars to give to other people.

I use to have a garden every year. Lived in the country, garden was bigger than most of your yards probably. 4 varieties of corn, several varieties of tomatoes and peppers. All the usual cucumbers, peas, beans, mellons, etc. All the cool weather crops, various lettuce, spinach, radish, green onions, and brocolli. Regular onions and garlic. Potatoes (they were to die for.)

Along with the garden was 12 varieties of apples, 8 peach trees, 2 pear trees we lost. The 2 plumb trees were beautiful when blooming, but they bloomed early April so always got hit with frost. I think I ate one single plum all the years we had them and cut them down to move earlier said garden.

There is nothing like walking out to the garden, snagging and husking a couple ears of corn right off the stalk for lunch. Even better than that first garden tomato (which I could only get 2 slices out of for the hamburger I always made when the first tomato was ready.)

I don’t have a garden. I’m not good with plants. I used to try to grow tomatoes because I love homegrown tomatoes… but my dogs also apparently love them and would get more of them than I would, so I gave up.

Tried something new this year as I get older and don't want to weed and maintain a garden. I got some "fake" half barrels and planted a tomato plant in each of two and zinnia seed in another.

Just about all of it plus corn. This year some pumpkins too. My husband died most of the work but I have to pick the green beans. Worst job ever.

Husband and my sister like to can. Green beans, salsa, pasta sauce, pizza sauce.
LOL!
I couldn’t agree more!!!!

I’d like to but the wildlife makes it pretty impossible. The deer jump the fence into our yard and are bold enough to come up onto the patio to sleep, so nothing in the yard is safe from them. I planted some rose bushes on a steep slope where I thought they might be okay and the deer are now climbing the adjacent stairs and eating them to nubs. 😔 I’m limited to growing edible plants in containers up on the deck. We only have a handful of plants — tomato, raspberry, strawberries, blackberry, and blueberries. There, I only have the chipmunks, squirrels, birds and caterpillars to contend with. :rolleyes: I mostly stick to houseplants to satisfy my green thumb.
Just about all of it plus corn. This year some pumpkins too. My husband died most of the work but I have to pick the green beans. Worst job ever.

Husband and my sister like to can. Green beans, salsa, pasta sauce, pizza sauce.
Phew, that post was an emotional roller coaster! I’m glad he was okay in the end!

I’d like to but the wildlife makes it pretty impossible. The deer jump the fence into our yard and are bold enough to come up onto the patio to sleep, so nothing in the yard is safe from them. I planted some rose bushes on a steep slope where I thought they might be okay and the deer are now climbing the adjacent stairs and eating them to nubs. 😔 I’m limited to growing edible plants in containers up on the deck. We only have a handful of plants — tomato, raspberry, strawberries, blackberry, and blueberries. There, I only have the chipmunks, squirrels, birds and caterpillars to contend with. :rolleyes: I mostly stick to houseplants to satisfy my green thumb.

Phew, that post was an emotional roller coaster! I’m glad he was okay in the end!
Darned autocorrect

I do not plant a garden myself. My dad used to when he was younger. It was pretty much a situation of looking at the entire list of choices to vote at the top of the poll and saying "yes".

We usually have tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini. Almost every year we try something new too. This year it was bok choy cabbage, most of which was already harvested. In September we're going to try cauliflower, which should be ready by Thanksgiving.

Yes, I used to have a garden. No, I no longer do.

We had Tomatoes, carrots, corn and radishes in the first one. Had it a couple of years until we were invaded by some kind of pest that comes from the ground (and survives through winter due to this) and just LOVES tomatoes.

Second garden we had lettuce, carrots, radishes, peppers. That was more successful, but we travel a lot now and I don't have time to maintain a garden.

Absolutely. I have about 15 tomatoes from cherry to beef master. About 40 pepper plants from sweet to habanero. Cucumber,eggplant, zucchini, dumpling squash, radishes, green and yellow beans.

I pickle and can the peppers and also make giardeniara. We purée and freeze the excess tomatoes. Grind up dried chiles for flakes. Poblanos for Chile rellenos. Anaheim’s for salsa verde.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter