slo’s FRIDAY 9/30/22 poll - Home Security System

Security System - Do you have one? (M.C.)

• Yes - I have one

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • We have an older one - requires a phone landline

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • We have a digital one - does not require a phone landline

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • We use a company that has cameras around the outside of the home

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No - we don’t have one - not getting one anytime soon

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • No - we don’t have one - I/we are thinking about getting one soon

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No - we don’t have one - I/we are indifferent about getting one - the jury is still out

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • We have a dog - that’s our security system

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • I live somewhere that doesn’t require my own private system

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Wow….it’s September 30th - where did the time go? :confused3
September was like a blur for me - it went by so fast.
Onto the poll question…..

Do you have a home security system?
If yes…..is it a digital system (does not require a phone landline) or one that does require a phone landline?
(multiple choice)

For Me……Yes, we have two ::yes::
Today our security company is switching our system to a digital system, which means we can finally cancel our phone landline and we can operate our system from an app on our phone. I’m glad this is being done today.
Along with our security company, we also have a system with cameras around the house that notify us when there’s movement around the house. It’s always interesting to see what’s going on at 2:00am in the backyard - critters out and about when we’re fast asleep.

*Pictures below ⬇️ are from our front door camera. It’s pretty entertaining when I get a notification saying there’s movement at the front door to find critters setting it off - LOL!

I‘m still trying to figure out how this bird stayed here long enough to get a decent video - there is no ledge here, just a wall.
D490289F-B29D-44BC-9279-788069C4A5F1.jpeg
This ground hog was originally hiding behind the cooler and shovels. DD19 was still in high school and would have been really startled if it didn’t leave before she came home from school. I honestly didn’t know what this critter was - I had to send the video to my neighbor, who’s a hunter, to have him tell me.
9E21FEE6-C8FD-4704-9165-AFC922B143B3.jpeg
I wish I could post the video of this - it’s my favorite one. This preying mantis hung around our front door all last autumn - he loved living amongst all the mum plants. Every day it was like where’s Waldo, but instead, where’s the preying mantis. We actually named him, but I can’t remember what it was - LOL!
E3595772-963B-4729-A9C9-61FA2C7ED8E3.jpeg

We don't have one. I'd like one but hubby isn't interested. My mom got a dog when my dad passed - he's got a big, loud bark and is her "security system". Little does anyone know he's a big goober Goldendoodle who would literally just roll over if you gave him any attention. ;)

We have one and it’s older so tied into the phone line. My DH travels and once I had kids I was uncomfortable at night without him here. I was fine alone at night before the kids. I really only set it when he is away and less and less now that they are older.

We have one.

We have an unlucky house.

Three times , the fire department has visited our house. Two were needed, third times was a smoking pan on the stove and it set off smoke detector. First two times, calls came from neighbors. Fire in dry grass from some other neighbor kid shooting them off (we weren't home), second time house was hit by lightening on the upper corner of house.

I've been robbed three times, so my home is like a fortress -- security system, bars on all windows and doors, deadbolt locks, and barking dogs.

No security system but this summer we did get lucky and find the key to our garage entry door so we can lock it now, if we ever remember to. :goodvibes

ETA: After looking at @slo ’s pictures, I got a little worked up again about our neighbour’s new doorbell cam. It’s situated directly across from our front door, exactly 33’ away (we live in a condo complex). Knowing that our comings-and-goings are being passively recorded and could show up on some random social media site sometime, for whatever reason and totally beyond our control actually makes me feel violated. :(

Last edited:
Don’t have one and I’m sure we never will. It’s not something that’s really necessary where we live.

We used to have one tied to our landline. This was about 20 years ago. We set it off accidentally a few times and ended up disconnecting it after a few years. I’m interested in getting security cameras now as our area has experienced a high number of car thefts and items stolen from unlocked cars overnight.

I don't have a system -half the time I leave with the door unlocked. I'm in a quiet, safe neighborhood so not too worried. Also, I live alone so all they would want to steal would be my TV and/or iPad ....I live a nice but fairly minimalistic lifestyle.

We don't have a security system- my little town is very safe. We *do* have a Ring on both the front and back doors.

We have one that uses WiFi with a cellular backup. It is partly for security but mostly for fire detection. If we have a fire it will call for us and if there is a fire when we aren't home it will hopefully get someone there quicker to save the house and the pet(s) in it. Regardless of the safety of the neighborhood that is enough to ensure we always have one.

There is an old security system installed in my house, but we never had it turned back on after we bought the house. I live in a very low crime area and I now have a very loud dog.

We don't have one. Don't plan on getting one. DD has one. She lives alone.

We do have a video doorbell and sometimes it can be a pain. Lightning a couple of weeks ago set if off 20 times overnight. I had to turn the sound off on my phone.
It gets set of by car lights turning around by us as the light shines up to the door

I bought a Ring doorbell and need to install it. We're also thinking about installing another camera. That's about all we're concerned with right now.

I have a security system. I think everything is digital now, even those that still use a landline. Mine uses cellular to call in alarms. I had to upgrade it last year because it used 3G which has (or is supposed to) go away. It is 4G now. Alarm company upgraded it for free.

We do have a video doorbell and sometimes it can be a pain. Lightning a couple of weeks ago set if off 20 times overnight. I had to turn the sound off on my phone.
It gets set of by car lights turning around by us as the light shines up to the door
The guy across the street and the houses on either side of us have driveway alarms with lights. They sure must not have them set correctly, looking more out to the street rather than to just their property. And the lights sre all pretty much aimed straight forward, illuminating the street and houses across from them. They all are not just motion lights but are part of 'systems'.

Cars just going down the street set the lights off. :headache: The ones on either side don't 'bother' me much, but the one across the street looks like a train coming almost all the time. I think bugs walking on his driveway must set it off. I can't imagine what it must be like if any of those houses have their lights connected to a sound something in the houses. :scared1:

The guy across the street and the houses on either side of us have driveway alarms with lights. They sure must not have them set correctly, looking more out to the street rather than to just their property. And the lights sre all pretty much aimed straight forward, illuminating the street and houses across from them. They all are not just motion lights but are part of 'systems'.

Cars just going down the street set the lights off. :headache: The ones on either side don't 'bother' me much, but the one across the street looks like a train coming almost all the time. I think bugs walking on his driveway must set it off. I can't imagine what it must be like if any of those houses have their lights connected to a sound something in the houses. :scared1:

We're at a dead end street, so it is the cars circling around to go back out.....usually in the morning for some reason. There are only 10 houses on the street, so no idea.

Yep, have one. Had never needed one until a neighbor started acting up. Shortly thereafter, the neighborhood tanked. So...we have a nice one :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter