Slim Fast

WDW2002

DIS Veteran
Does anyone do Slim Fast? I started doing this a couple weeks ago and the first week was fine but the week I find that I am getting hungry more often. I do a shake for breakfast, a banana for an AM snack, then a meal bar and an apple for lunch, a light snack mid-afternoon, and then a light (vegetarian) dinner.

Any adivce or help?

I have never done Slim Fast, but by the sounds of what you are eating, it seems to me like you are eating way too many carbs, and too much sugar. The banana and apple are both very high in carbs and in sugar. I would imagine that the meal bar and the shake are also high in carbs. I would also quess that your calorie count is too low, which will put your body into starvation mode, therefore making you hungry, triggering cravings, and not burning stored body fat. I would try to cut back on your carbs and sugar, and add a lot more protein. Also, be sure that you are drinking at least 64 oz. of water every day!

Yes, I agree. Slim Fast is loaded with sugar! So, along with your fruit, all you're getting is carbs & sugar. You won't lose weight this way - and if you do, you're losing muscle.

If you don't eat meat, then try adding more vegetables, and some eggs & nuts & cheese to your diet. Lay off the Slim Fast, and opt for high-protein/low carb shakes or bars instead. You'll feel much fuller, and you'll end up much healthier! :D

Good luck! :bounce:

What makes a high protein diet any better then a high carbs diet??

I do eat lots of veggies at dinner, I don't like too many raw veggies so it is hard to eat them during the day. I will see if I can work in raw baby carrots in place of one of the fruits during the day. Most vegetarian protein sources are so high in fat and calorie dense. I don't do tofu/soy.

WDW2002, I will try to explain the carb/protein thing...

Carbohydrates stimulate the production of insulin with its fat storing properties. They raise your blood sugar and burn off quickly. The body is then left with too much insulin, which lowers blood sugar and leaves you hungry. The quickest relief is more "sugar" and the cycle starts all over again. When you eat a lot of carbs (remember sugar is carbs) you will not burn body fat.

Protein, on the other had, burns slowly and gives us a steady source of energy and diminishes hunger. It provides amino acids to sustain metabolically active muscle. Fat is not bad, fat in food is satisfying and prolonges the feeling of fullness. Moderation is the key.

Since the food industry has come out with all of this fat free cr*p, the obesity rate in our country has done nothing but soar. We are filling ourselves with sugars and chemicals, and doing nothing good for our bodies.

Now, to confuse you even more, not all vegtables are created equal. Carrots have a lot of natural sugar in them, so they would not be a good choice as a substitute for fruit.

Do not worry about fat/calories. Try to cut out the carbs in your diet and you will be amazed!

If I cut carbs out I will be left with virtually NOTHING to eat. I do not and will not eat meat and eggs.

I think I will stick to what I am doing. The Slim Fast was a kick start, after 10 pounds I will reevaluate, but a high protein diet is not going to work for me.

Just to clarify a little more - I consider my diet to be "low-carb", not necessarily "high-protein". I try to stay away from the processed flours & sugars, and eat more healthy vegetables, nuts, eggs, meat & cheese.

You can definitely eat low carb without eating meat & eggs. Just try to stick to eating healthy vegetables, nuts (almonds, macadamia nuts, etc), cheese, a little fruit, and cut back on the sugars & processed foods, starches & flours. You'll be surprised how good you feel, and how the pounds will melt off! You don't want to cut out carbs completely, just cut back on the unhealthy ones! :D :D

Exercise also helps a lot!!
:bounce: :bounce: <------ aerobics!

Great info here! I too have tried Slim Fast...did it for 3 weeks and did not see amazing results.

I have not had much luck losing weight. I seem to be stuck at my current weight (have been here for years!). I think it might be a carb thing as well.
I have been getting regular exercize for a couple of months now...I walk/jog for 2-3 miles every day. I'm getting some toning results, but still no weight loss.

Can someone give me a sample daily menu for a lower carb diet? What kinds of things do you eat?

Here's a sample of my menu:

Breakfast (depending on how hungry I am and how much time I have):
eggs & bacon
or
breakfast shake made with Optimum Nutrition chocolate flavor shake mix (from GNC)
or
Atkins breakfast bar

Lunch:
Big salad with lettuce and/or spinach and lots of other veggies with either blue cheese or ranch dressing (the "real" kind, not low-fat because the low-fat kind has lots of added sugar)
I usually top my salad with some kind of meat like tuna or deli turkey.

Dinner:
Meat (steak, chicken, pork chops, salmon, venison, etc)
vegetable (beans, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, etc)

For snacks I eat:
Atkins bars, cheese slices, deviled eggs, pickles, almonds, macadamia nuts, cut fresh veggies, sugar-free jello, beef sticks, pepperoni slices

Make sure, as with any diet, that you are getting the proper vitamins/minerals. I take a good multi-vitamin, with extra "C" (especially in the winter) and Calcium (because I'm a woman).

I hope this helps! That's great that you're getting all that exercise! I just joined Curves for Women, hoping to tone up a little! :-)

Good luck!

Thanks Rhonda!
It is so hard for me to fathom that eating eggs and bacon and cheese can help you lose weight!

How is yogurt? I never have time for breakfast during the week so I usually grab a container of the non-fat flavored kind and throw in some grape nuts. Probably loaded with carbs, huh???

Actually, the carb count on a container of yogurt is misleading. There's actually much less carbs than are listed! :D

They're counting the carbs before the cooking process. During the process, most of the sugar burns out, so there are much less carbs than it says.

I usually look at the back of the containers and buy the one with that has the least amount of sugar grams (I think here it's Dannon Lite).

Or, I buy plain yogurt, and put my own fruit stuff in it. Sugar-free preserves are the best. Like Polaner All-Fruit or similar. I think Smuckers makes a sugar-free jam too.

You're right about the granola - tons of carbs & sugars!

I don't know anything about SlimFast, but I have lost 8 pounds in the last 4 weeks drinking my own shake, which is a cup of orange juice, 6 frozen strawberries, and a drop of honey blended in the blender. It's so good, and it's all fruit, so how bad can it be? It seems to be working, I drink it as soon as I get home from work, so I eat a very, very small dinner. It's so filling that sometimes I don't even want dinner. And I know exactly what's in it. I don't like pre-packaged stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter