Slide in truck Camper Help!

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
I posted this in the budget board but I figured I might get more help here. DH and I are looking into buying a slide in truck camper but there seems to be no dealers in or near southern New Jersey. Can anyone help us in our hunt for a good deal on a new or used truck camper. Let us know if your selling one. Also any tips or tricks on having a truck camper would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, ArielRae. We own a truck camper - 2000 Lance 820. We had the same problem with not being able to find many around NJ. We actually found ours on the internet and DH went up to Ohio to get it. Check out www.slicersrv.com - they're in Delaware. Do you already have a specific brand in mind that you are looking for? Sometimes it's easier to find them on the internet if you search by manufacturer/model. We were very limited because we have a short bed truck. That being said, I knew what brands we were interested in so I knew what model #'s to look for. I can answer your "girl" questions (ie interior, etc.). Any real technical questions, my DH can probably help you with. Just let me know. Good luck. We love ours! We go to the beach with it almost every weekend. You can take it anywhere your truck can go!

I answered your post on the Budget Board with a couple of dealers - Driftwood RV and Ocean View. Plus, check the date for the Atlantic City RV show - I saw a billboard ad about it last week.

Good luck!

Hey, I have some p/u campers listed on my site, (size, options, floor plans etc.) and there is a HUGE RV show at Hershey Pa the weekend of Sept 13-14th. It is the biggest Rv show in the country, so it would probably be worth the drive.

Here is the link to the campers on my site.... http://www.rvusa.org/dev/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

We have about 10 different campers on there. I hope that helps, and if you have any questions, just let me know.

I would be willing to sell mine if you're really interested. Pm me and we can discuss...

Hi, ArielRae. We own a truck camper - 2000 Lance 820. We had the same problem with not being able to find many around NJ. We actually found ours on the internet and DH went up to Ohio to get it. Check out www.slicersrv.com - they're in Delaware. Do you already have a specific brand in mind that you are looking for? Sometimes it's easier to find them on the internet if you search by manufacturer/model. We were very limited because we have a short bed truck. That being said, I knew what brands we were interested in so I knew what model #'s to look for. I can answer your "girl" questions (ie interior, etc.). Any real technical questions, my DH can probably help you with. Just let me know. Good luck. We love ours! We go to the beach with it almost every weekend. You can take it anywhere your truck can go!

Kelly- do you have any interior pics of your camper ?? I've never seen one on the inside and am curious how much room you have for two people. I have friends who were thinking about getting one, but were concerned about storage and interior space.

Kelly- do you have any interior pics of your camper ?? I've never seen one on the inside and am curious how much room you have for two people. I have friends who were thinking about getting one, but were concerned about storage and interior space.

Shannone, I'm not gonna lie, it can get a little crowded in there. I have room for all the necessities. The bed is a true queen and very comfy. I thought I'd be clauserphobic, but it's very roomy in the cabover area. The table converts to a bed, but realistically only for one person. I have a 3 burner stove top and a regular rv size oven and a normal size microwave. It also has a double sink. The part that is very small is the bathroom. Not much room to move around! But it's great because we can take the camper anywhere our truck can go. We drive on the beach a lot and you have to have 4 wheel drive here in NJ for that. We couldn't do that with our TT!! And definitely couldn't afford a 4x4 class c!! :faint: I'll try to post some pics soon. Have to clean it first!! :rotfl:

Shannone, I'm not gonna lie, it can get a little crowded in there. I have room for all the necessities. The bed is a true queen and very comfy. I thought I'd be clauserphobic, but it's very roomy in the cabover area. The table converts to a bed, but realistically only for one person. I have a 3 burner stove top and a regular rv size oven and a normal size microwave. It also has a double sink. The part that is very small is the bathroom. Not much room to move around! But it's great because we can take the camper anywhere our truck can go. We drive on the beach a lot and you have to have 4 wheel drive here in NJ for that. We couldn't do that with our TT!! And definitely couldn't afford a 4x4 class c!! :faint: I'll try to post some pics soon. Have to clean it first!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the info..I'll keep an eye out for the pictures. :thumbsup2

I just saw one with a for sale sign in someone's driveway near Absecon, NJ. I think it was on Pitney Rd (SR634). If you are going near that area I'll see if DH remembers where we saw it. LMK

Jim, I do love it! But we've been thinking about going a little bit bigger. If the right offer came along, I could definitely part with her! ;)

I've noticed a few people that compensate for the storage problem with a cargo trailer tagging along. Not sure how easy that would be, and would kind of defeat the purpose of the mobility of a slide in camper, but...

When we were looking for our first RV, we toured some nice slide in campers, knowing full well we could not afford the type of truck it would take to haul one. Always nice to dream.

I've noticed a few people that compensate for the storage problem with a cargo trailer tagging along. Not sure how easy that would be, and would kind of defeat the purpose of the mobility of a slide in camper, but...

When we were looking for our first RV, we toured some nice slide in campers, knowing full well we could not afford the type of truck it would take to haul one. Always nice to dream.

Dan, we saw slide-in campers that were $40,000 and more!! Add in the cost of the truck and you can be looking at $100,000 plus. Before I knew better, I always thought truck campers were the "cheap" way to camp. :lmao:

We've owned a lance 1130 (which had a dry bath) and i believe it was an 1191 with a dinnette slide and dry bath. either of these you have to have a dually. the dealers will not sell or load it if you don't.

we have looked at a lot of truck campers. we were sold on the quality of the lance. if you find a used one it will be much cheaper to get into it. they can be very expensive.

there are other manufacturers out there. we have looked at them all and just prefer the lance.

there is a lance dealer in tennessee. www.adventurerv.com . when we bought our lance with the slide we had adventure, a dealer here in wi. and one in minnesota give us prices.

Adventure Rv gave the best price. even with our fuel cost to drive down there we saved quite a bit of money. they also sell their used ones on ebay and on their website.

if you want or need more info just ask. we loved our lances. but, we just couldn't pass up the opportunity we had on our jayco seneca. if for some reason we don't like our seneca we would more than likely go back to a lance.

Here are the pictures of the inside of our 2000 Lance 820. Remember, this fits a short bed truck.
2000Lance820001.jpg

I have the original comforter in storage, but I guess I could have matched the blanket a little better, huh? :laughing:

2000Lance820002.jpg

The top cabinets can fold down into a bunk as well as the table.
2000Lance820003.jpg

2000Lance820004.jpg

This is a wet bath. (Shower/sink/toilet all in the same area.)
2000Lance820005.jpg

Here are the pictures of the inside of our 2000 Lance 820. Remember, this fits a short bed truck.

The top cabinets can fold down into a bunk as well as the table.

Wow Kelly...it looks pretty roomy inside. I didn't think it would have that much space. Did you say the cabinets down into a bed ?? How does that work ?? I think it looks perfect for 1-2 people. There are so many places you can camp with it. Even things like drive in theaters, football games, and going to the mall would be more fun :thumbsup2

Wow Kelly...it looks pretty roomy inside. I didn't think it would have that much space. Did you say the cabinets down into a bed ?? How does that work ?? I think it looks perfect for 1-2 people. There are so many places you can camp with it. Even things like drive in theaters, football games, and going to the mall would be more fun :thumbsup2

Shannone, if you look at the pic with the door, look to the left of the door. You should see a little latch on the end of the cabinet next to the wall. There is another one like it on the other end (not in picture). If you un-latch those, the cabinet face folds down and rests on wooden "stops" or ledges. This can be used as a bunk. I would only put a child on it though. I don't know how much weight it can hold. Lance also sells a safety enclosure for it too. Looks sort of like a little tent. We don't have use for it as a bunk, so I only use it as cabinets. I need all the cabinet space I can get!!! ;) We love it. We really can take it everywhere.

Wow, Kelly I just had some good memories looking at those pics!! I have 2 brothers who are 18 and 16 years older than me. They had truck top campers when I was young. They pulled boats for skiing and fishing so this set up worked out great for them.

Very cool set up! :thumbsup2

show and tell time ;)

here are some photos of the lance we had with the slide out. the dinnette was the slide.

just sharing for those who haven't been in these..

This is looking in from the door. the door is on the side of the camper. the fridge is just in front of the stove, across from the dinette.
PICT0024.jpg

pict0018.jpg

looking from the bed to the back of the camper.
PICT0039.jpg

the dry bath.
PICT0043.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!