Sleeping options for 3.5yo

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
my youngest will be 3.5 when we go to Disney. We are staying in a studio at the Boardwalk Villas. We are in the “keep them in the crib til as long as you can” camp, so she’s only slept in a crib. She’s also a peanut, 35 inches tall and weighs 24lbs. What do you think is the best sleeping option? We also have a 6yo dd. Does DVC have bed rails? Should I put the girls together on the pull out couch? Put her on the Murphy bed? Borrow a pack & play? Thanks for any thoughts!

You can always ask for a crib at check in.

Another option I love and used for DD6 is a portable travel tent for kids. It has extra padding at the base to make it softer for them and it zips closed. My daughter enjoyed using it for years (although is now to big for it). A lot now also double as outdoo sun shade for the kids as well.

The last thing I can come up with are those inflatable bed rails. That could be an option as well. Although if you can get bed rails that also works.

Thanks for the thoughts - the feedback was exactly what I was hoping for! We are traveling via plane so I don’t want to pack any more than absolutely necessary.

Pack N Play for the 3.5yr old although I personally wouldn't...and no need for bed rails for a 6 year old in my opinion....
The pull out is probably the lowest to the floor if height concerns you although murphy bed is probably much more comfortable.

Wow, our 18 month old was in a bed. You can request bed rails and they will bring as many as you need, or as others said you can use the pack n play or request a full size crib.
Boardwalk studios also have the little pull down murphy bed.

Our 2 year old doesn’t sleep well in pack and plays so we always request the full crib. He sleeps really well in those. We always bring our own sheet and pad.

We always get a 1 BR and usually have friends that come with us that use the living room pullouts. So we always just put the kids in the bed with us. Is this not an option for you?

I'm not familiar with the murphy beds at Boardwalk. Is it the same as the ones at the Poly studios (the longer side of bed along wall)? If so our girls slept in that together when they were around the same age as your kids. They were comfy and they are big for thier age. The little one slept on the inside and the older one on the outside. We didn't ask for a rail, it's not to far off the floor.

Pack N Play for the 3.5yr old although I personally wouldn't...and no need for bed rails for a 6 year old in my opinion....
The pull out is probably the lowest to the floor if height concerns you although murphy bed is probably much more comfortable.

Thanks. The bed rails option is for my 3 year old. My 6 year old is fine without

We were able to get rails for our girls when they needed them. They shared the pull out in a one bedroom dvc villa. We asked for three and put one on each side and one at the bottom. Probably over kill but one girls moved a lot in her sleep. I put the request in our reservation and confirmed it when we areived

My son was almost 3 when we went in October (his birthday was the following week). He’s in a toddler bed at home...I want him to be able to get out of bed if he needs the bathroom in the middle of the night (which does happen occasionally). I’m pretty sure he’d climb out of a crib by now!

Anyway, at Disney we just put him in a bed with bedrails (which we requested from the resort). He did fine. I guess I never really thought too much about it.

Our kid sleeps with us on vacation he finds it extra special

We do this sometimes on trips as well. DD6 finds it fun to get to sleep with us, now that we have DS1 he often wakes up in the middle of the night and ends up with me - poor DH ends up retreating to another bed (or is it poor me with both kids kicking me all night!). Not something we do at home but in a hotel room to get them to settle down we allow it. I look at it as a fun change and a relaxation on some of the rules - and being respectful of the other guests.

We just stayed in a studio there last month.

If I were you ... I would actually put the 3 year old in the Murphy bed and just put the two chairs from the table next to her instead of bedrails. I think it would do the trick. The bellman actually suggested that we do this for my daughter (but she doesn’t need bedrails anymore.) I thought it was a good suggestion. Also, your 3.5 year old might be more motivated to sleep in the special Dumbo bed than the pullout. Makes it kind of a special experience and might help her transition to sleeping in a bed for the trip.

Then I’d have the 6 year old sleep in the pullout. Hopefully there won’t be a fight over the Murphy bed :)

just remember a child who wants can kick the bed rails off had a grandson who at 4 hated the rails and he would kick them off as the only slide in. he never fell out

Lol kids are so funny. My girls haven’t tried to even ever climb out of their crib (hence the crib for so long...) so hopefully rails will be okay! I never thought of this!

We just stayed in a studio there last month.

If I were you ... I would actually put the 3 year old in the Murphy bed and just put the two chairs from the table next to her instead of bedrails. I think it would do the trick. The bellman actually suggested that we do this for my daughter (but she doesn’t need bedrails anymore.) I thought it was a good suggestion. Also, your 3.5 year old might be more motivated to sleep in the special Dumbo bed than the pullout. Makes it kind of a special experience and might help her transition to sleeping in a bed for the trip.

Then I’d have the 6 year old sleep in the pullout. Hopefully there won’t be a fight over the Murphy bed :)

Fanstastic idea! I could always use bribery to subdue a fight, lol. Not like there isn’t a milllion stores around with highly-anticipated merchandise!

Lol kids are so funny. My girls haven’t tried to even ever climb out of their crib (hence the crib for so long...) so hopefully rails will be okay! I never thought of this!
he was over the rail of crib at 18 months so for his safety he was in a bed soon there after

I would actually try to keep it as much like she is used to as possible. If she is still in the crib at home and doing well, I would try to do a crib there. You can also rent one off site and they will deliver. If you think she is ready to move to a bed at home, I would do that now and have her used to that before the trip. If she has slept in a pack and play other places and does well that would be the easiest but we had one that would not sleep in a pack and play at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter