Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I would think walking up and being able to get right on DOES add value rather than waiting for a bus, even if it does technically move slower. If you had to wait 10 minutes for the bus, but got on the gondola right away, I would think you would be at your destination in a similar time frame. Plus it always helps to be moving (even slowly) rather than sitting waiting.

Just like how the monorail is always moving so you don't sit and wait as much as you would for a bus. And it's just cooler than a bus lol.

Okay ... so this is a dumb question. I see a lot of references to DVC properties and the Gondolas going to the resorts. Does this mean the gondolas are reserved only for those who are DVC members? Or could anyone staying at the resort use the gondola?

Good point - they are supposed to have access out the IG after the part - so maybe they are setting it up as a VIP lane for us ;)

Yeah nice thought but in reality they will probably set it up about ten minutes before the party and have it gone after in about the same amount of time.

I think you give too much credit :P

No I can see it--- the cleaning staff heads to the back of the convention pavilion (I forget the name) Just before they prep the place, they roll out all the trees on carts...... then they work the event, and at the end they all roll them back in...... That's not a lot of credit... is it?

No I can see it--- the cleaning staff heads to the back of the convention pavilion (I forget the name) Just before they prep the place, they roll out all the trees on carts...... then they work the event, and at the end they all roll them back in...... That's not a lot of credit... is it?

I mean you're giving them a whole 10 minutes, that's a big window. I'd say like 3.

Bring it on!Hope it happens-LOVE it

1) Not every listed building permit gets built.
2) We could have PAGES AND PAGES of such examples.
3) Until construction starts, I am a non-believer.
. . . what is the financial justification ???
. . . buses are cheaper in capital expense
. . . buses are easier to reschedule and/or reroute
4) Let us control enthusiasm until we see earth-movers moving earth.

I'm with ya on the "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality, but in terms of financial justification... That argument holds water when comparing buses to monorails: I'm not so sure that it does when talking about gondolas. We're talking about some towers, steel cable, electric motors and some gondola cars. Sure, that's a bit oversimplified, but point being, over a two, three or four year period, the payback might actually be pretty reasonable. Especially when factoring in minimal labor costs to operate the system and minimal maintenance costs compared to the aging bus fleet - it might actually make financial sense. As we'll never know the actual finances behind such a project, it's nothing more than speculation on either side of the argument. But I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out as a cost-effective option (or potentially even a cost-savings over a longer period of time).

But it isn't JUST about cheaper. It's about (a) selling a DVC resort at CBR with "direct park access" and (b) cost justification to include the rest of CBR and Pop Century.

I have been monitoring Disney permits for round 5 years now and I only recall one water management permit that didn't get built in some form and that was just for a retention pond back stage. Hyperion Wharf did not get built as planned but that's because it got replaced by something bigger. Buses may be a cheaper capital expense but a Gondola should be much cheaper to operate then he equivalent buses. They can also use the gondola as an excuse to charge more at the connected resort.

It's pretty clear that this is happening, I would be extremely surprised to see Disney change plans at this point.

Is there a rumored timeline on when we think they are aiming to have these open? I would think for sure before Star Wars, but maybe even Toy Story? I wouldn't think they would take too long to build.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter