Six Flags Over GA assistnce pass

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by jmartinez1895, Oct 8, 2018.

1. jmartinez1895

jmartinez1895 DIS Veteran

Sorry to post here, just didn't know of any other groups that might know the answer. The six flags website says that we have to have a doctor note with license number on it. My sons doctor said she is ok with providing him a note saying that he has a disability using the ADA standard, which is all the letter has to say I believe. The only issues is that she said she is uncomfortable not knowing how this info will be used and if her office will be contacted. Has anyone else used this pass at the GA location and if so how exactly did the process go?

2. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

I would contact Six Flags and ask them how the information will be used.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Eeyore2142

Eeyore2142 Mouseketeer

We have used this pass at the six flags in Illinois. They enter the letter into the system and then provide you with their assistance pass (allows you to go up exit with decreased wait time). It is kept on file so that you only need to provide the letter once.

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

I believe others can chime in if I am somehow wrong, but they are not allowed to require a doctor's note under the ADA.

6. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

They can if what they provide as an accommodation is something akin to “preferred” access or better than the average guest can acquire.

HopperFan likes this.
  7. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

But only if they have a system in place that provides "equal access," that does not require a doctor's note. If no equal access system is in place, then they are not allowed to require a doctor's not for "preferred" access, as that would be what is providing "equal" access.

8. murmer

murmer Mouseketeer

It’s only kept on file for one year so you have to get a new one every year

9. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

Yeah, I recommend a call or email to the Georgia location. I'm sure it won't be the first time they've been asked.

10. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

Could you tag the section in ADA that corresponds with this statement? Since Six Flags offers a ticket that allows a guest to skip lines, and the DAP is free, would that be a reason to require a letter?

OurBigTrip likes this.
  11. lanejudy

I don’t believe there is any requirement that they provide an equal-access option if also providing for greater-than-equal. They are allowed to require proof because the general public must pay for the level of access they are granting with their Assistance Pass.

That's correct. Because they sell that level of access to the general public, they can require proof to give it free to those with a qualifying disability.

12. Eeyore2142

Eeyore2142 Mouseketeer

In Illinois, mine has been kept on file for multiple years. Perhaps it varies by disability

13. lanejudy

SOME of the park-specific websites (including Six Flags Over Georgia) have conflicting information under the section for Attraction Access Pass:

To receive an Attraction Access Pass you must have a note from a doctor. You will only need this note the first time you request an Attraction Access Pass.
    • An updated note must be provided on the first visit of each new season.
    I spot-checked a few locations, and some had both statements listed above, others (including Six Flags Great America - Illinois) had a slightly different version which did not include the second statement. So it wouldn't surprise me if different locations are following different rules.