Sitting on the Bus

Danislee

Mouseketeer
Hi: I have cerebral palsy. I do not use a wheelchair. I do have some mobility issues. (Stairs / balance / fatigue.) I also also have limited vision (-14 and pretty much no peripheral vision.)

On my last trip I fell right before Fantasmic. It seemed alright, but while I was walking out it was a struggle, there was some swelling, trouble with weight bearing, and stiffness. A cast member offered a courtesy chair to get to the bus. (It was not one of the ones with the metal pole.)

When we got to the bus line I asked my husband to put me in the scooter and wheelchair line. I wasn't able to use the stairs and I needed to sit. (On the bus I did not sit in the ecv/wheelchair foldable seat, but in the ones that are meant for people with disabilities.)

Upon reflection I'm a little uneasy about what happened and would like some guidance.

1. Was it wrong to use the courtesy chair in this manner?
2. Would it be wrong to use a courtesy chair if I have not injured myself? Sometimes I start stumbling a lot.
2b. If I do is it okay to get in the wheelchair line for the bus?
3. If I'm not in a wheelchair you can't tell I have cerebral palsy. What is the best way to ask to sit down if the bus is full? (Politely.) Do I ask the driver? Do I just ask another passenger? (I don't expect a yes.)

Hi: I have cerebral palsy. I do not use a wheelchair. I do have some mobility issues. (Stairs / balance / fatigue.) I also also have limited vision (-14 and pretty much no peripheral vision.)

On my last trip I fell right before Fantasmic. It seemed alright, but while I was walking out it was a struggle, there was some swelling, trouble with weight bearing, and stiffness. A cast member offered a courtesy chair to get to the bus. (It was not one of the ones with the metal pole.)

When we got to the bus line I asked my husband to put me in the scooter and wheelchair line. I wasn't able to use the stairs and I needed to sit. (On the bus I did not sit in the ecv/wheelchair foldable seat, but in the ones that are meant for people with disabilities.)

Upon reflection I'm a little uneasy about what happened and would like some guidance.

1. Was it wrong to use the courtesy chair in this manner?
2. Would it be wrong to use a courtesy chair if I have not injured myself? Sometimes I start stumbling a lot.
2b. If I do is it okay to get in the wheelchair line for the bus?
3. If I'm not in a wheelchair you can't tell I have cerebral palsy. What is the best way to ask to sit down if the bus is full? (Politely.) Do I ask the driver? Do I just ask another passenger? (I don't expect a yes.)

1. no the curtsy wheel chair are for just this, I have had a few times where I needed a wheel chair after having some medical problems ( normally only last a few hours)

2 I see no problems with using them if you feel you need it.

2 B if you have a wheel chair and can not go up the step then this is what you need

3 if the buss is full then you can either ask the driver ( or if there is a CM there helping) and see if they can see if someone will give up there set fro you, or you can wait for the next bus where you will then be first on. I have had to wait for another bus before when I know I would not be able to stand on a moving bus.

just a side note if you find you need a wheel chair most of your day I would look at renting on off site even though it sounds like you do not need one in every day life, it might be better and safer fro you to have one at Disney, you do not need to sit in it but can use it as a walker or park it in the land you are in and then use it when and how you need it, but at lest you will have it and you will not have to wait until you really need one and hope a CM will see you, and this way you will have a set on the bus.

A "courtesy" wheelchair, as offered by a CM, is for just those types of situations -- you injured yourself within the park. I see no harm in accepting that offer.

However, if you feel you "may" need a wheelchair another time due to balance or vision challenges or whatever, I honestly don't know that the parks would extend a "courtesy" chair (and I would not expect it). The resorts do not have courtesy wheelchairs available any more, other than a CM will push you to a specific destination but won't leave the chair with you. I suggest that you rent a wheelchair from offsite. It can be pushed when you feel like walking, but will be there when/if you need it. Another option is a rollator. You'll definitely have what you need if you bring it yourself or rent it for your length of stay.

To guarantee a seat on the bus... don't get on if you see others are standing in the aisle. Step aside and indicate you prefer to wait for the next bus. You'll be first on (unless there is a wheelchair to load), and much more likely to get a seat. You can certainly ask others to give you their seat on a crowded bus, but just like you they may have an invisible disability and need to sit as well. The person may or may not move for you. If you have a wheelchair or mobility device with you, you may use the HA waiting area and enter through the back.

Enjoy your vacation!

Apologies as far as my second point Penguinjudy, (I know that's not your name, I just can't see what the first part of your name is.) When I said courtesy chair, I meant to get from the park to the bus, not an all day basis. If I had fallen or felt I needed a chair for longer than that last "push," I'm definitely open to renting one for the day.

1. no the curtsy wheel chair are for just this, I have had a few times where I needed a wheel chair after having some medical problems ( normally only last a few hours)

2 I see no problems with using them if you feel you need it.

2 B if you have a wheel chair and can not go up the step then this is what you need

3 if the buss is full then you can either ask the driver ( or if there is a CM there helping) and see if they can see if someone will give up there set fro you, or you can wait for the next bus where you will then be first on. I have had to wait for another bus before when I know I would not be able to stand on a moving bus.

just a side note if you find you need a wheel chair most of your day I would look at renting on off site even though it sounds like you do not need one in every day life, it might be better and safer fro you to have one at Disney, you do not need to sit in it but can use it as a walker or park it in the land you are in and then use it when and how you need it, but at lest you will have it and you will not have to wait until you really need one and hope a CM will see you, and this way you will have a set on the bus.

Thank you Sue. I think I'll take the both of your advice and if I need to sit I'll see how full the bus gets ahead of me and let others go ahead if there isn't room.

Apologies as far as my second point Penguinjudy, (I know that's not your name, I just can't see what the first part of your name is.) When I said courtesy chair, I meant to get from the park to the bus, not an all day basis. If I had fallen or felt I needed a chair for longer than that last "push," I'm definitely open to renting one for the day.

There may be a courtesy wheelchair at the gate to get the bus, but maybe not. If they have all been used and not returned/retrieved yet, you'd either have to wait or tough it out. And often the ones available outside the park are not in the best condition.

Enjoy your vacation!

1. Was it wrong to use the courtesy chair in this manner? Nope
2. Would it be wrong to use a courtesy chair if I have not injured myself? Sometimes I start stumbling a lot. in an emergency, its fine. otherwise, rent one to have with you at all times
2b. If I do is it okay to get in the wheelchair line for the bus? Yup

that last one: all anyone can do is ask they may NOT require anyone to move unless it is to open up a WC/ECV spot. keep in mind that they can usually kneel the busses to allow lower steps at the front door as well. whether that is sufficient for you, only you can decide, probably not until you get there . it may not be 'steady' to stand on the ramp lift if you are not bracing against something.

I would agree with the suggestions above to get an ecv or wheelchair from an off-site vendor. You don't have to use it all the time and can park it and walk when you want, but it will provide you all the support you need to have a pleasant day at WDW. I do not believe you would be permitted to ride a wheelchair lift up a bus. It is dangerous. If you need a seat on a bus, you either should provide your own (wheelchair, ecv) or wait until the next bus if there are no seats. We did this with DH before his surgery.

I would agree with the suggestions above to get an ecv or wheelchair from an off-site vendor. You don't have to use it all the time and can park it and walk when you want, but it will provide you all the support you need to have a pleasant day at WDW. I do not believe you would be permitted to ride a wheelchair lift up a bus. It is dangerous. If you need a seat on a bus, you either should provide your own (wheelchair, ecv) or wait until the next bus if there are no seats. We did this with DH before his surgery.
Magical Express buses have lifts, which the guest must be seated to use.

I was told by a bus driver that all the old buses transporting guests around WDW from parks/resorts/Disney Springs with lifts are gone.
I have not seen one of those lift buses for at least 2 years.

You can also rent wheelchairs/ECV's at the park gates, although they do run out, if it's something that you find occasionally useful, but don't regularly need. Someone else suggested a rollator, and I'm going to second that suggestion, because it a)gives you an automatic seat, and b) is a signal to other people that you may need a little something (a seat, extra time to board, etc...) Also I don't know if a cane is helpful to you, or if you ever use one, but that's also a good signal to other people, and you might find that it tended to lessen fatigue.

If you need a seat on the bus, then don't get on a standing room only bus. That is what I do when I am having enough of a problem to need to sit. I simply wait for the next bus or I take a taxi. I would never ask anyone to give up their seat since I have no idea if they have a need as well.

If you need a seat on the bus, then don't get on a standing room only bus. That is what I do when I am having enough of a problem to need to sit. I simply wait for the next bus or I take a taxi. I would never ask anyone to give up their seat since I have no idea if they have a need as well.

I could not have said it better myself

Yes. We often wait for the next bus. Or even the one after that. My kiddos don't always like it (especially the ASD one) but I have a cyst in my spine. Walking is the best thing for me so I have zero use of any aids. So far the only restrictions at Disney I've experienced is I can't go on Dinosaur (no big loss - it wasn't my favorite before the cyst) and I can't stand on the bus (the monorail is slightly better, but I can only do maximum TTC to MK. Not TTC to Epcot.) Similar reasons - the constant shifting back and force and trying to balance is a sure fire way to have it flare up and be immobile the rest of the trip.

Lately we've just driven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts