Sippy cup airport scandal! Post your travel tips

eliza61

DIS Veteran
I get a chuckle out of the name of this thing.
I am a business traveler usually on the road about 210 days out of the year, I'm also the mother of 3. While I remember all to vividly the horror of trying to fly with 3 toddlers (twin boys and a single). I am amazed how totally clueless nowadays fliers are and I am taking into account that most folks don't fly as much as me but I'm actually on the screeners side this time. Some things I saw last week flying out of Philly:

-Poor mom of 3 with a 2 liter jug of hawaiin punch mad because she had to leave it behind.
-Mom of a small child with stroller piled high with bags pulled out of line and made to unload each and every bag. Missed her flight.
family buying 4 small kids, 16 oz sodas right before going throug security. Pissed because then had to throw out 7 dollars worth of coke.
Another family kicked off of flight to Chicago because kids would not sit still.

What are your tips for flying effortlessly (if that's possible) with small kids.

We try to pick up a small new toy. Something like a coloring book and crayons or magnetic board game. They kids know what it is but they can't play with it or even look at it much before we get on the plane. They get so excited to see the new item that it keeps them quiet for awhile.

You would think that people would plan ahead a little better. Maybe they never flew before? As for the one piled high with bags, how did they think they would be let on the plane with that much stuff?

For us, we just try to keep it simple.

For our carryons, we take
1 change of clothes for DD just in case
any medications
a bag of chips
some books and toys and crayons
DD's favorite stuffed bear (cannot sleep without him)
travel plans folder
and that is about it.

We are still taking about bringing along a stroller for DD since Disney will be so much walking, but since she is 4, we aren't sure about that.

Best tips?
Keep it simple
Bring a snack
Ask for a drink as soon as you board the plane
Bring something to entertain on the flight

Also, I find that Stressed Mom=Stressed Child=More Stressed Mom and it continues.

Hiya,

would go with the "little surprise" to play with on the plane thing.
But, we find the trouble isn't usually the flight, it's the interminable queuing -to check in, drop bags, get through security, get on to plane, pick up bags, through immigration etc etc etc... Its bad enough for us grown ups, but haven't flown abroad with the kids and I can just see that with 2 young kids getting bored it really is going to be a pain.... any advice gratefully received on that one too....

Tessa

We found out the hard way the first time we travelled by air that they want you to take everything off at securtity. We were travelling from snow to Florida so all the kids had sweaters on that they had to take off. Now we take an extra empty carry on. This way they have the things they "need" like sweaters, baby blanket, stuffed animals, ect. When we approach securitity we put everything extra into the bag and that way it can go through the scanner at security all at once.

Hiya,

would go with the "little surprise" to play with on the plane thing.
But, we find the trouble isn't usually the flight, it's the interminable queuing -to check in, drop bags, get through security, get on to plane, pick up bags, through immigration etc etc etc... Its bad enough for us grown ups, but haven't flown abroad with the kids and I can just see that with 2 young kids getting bored it really is going to be a pain.... any advice gratefully received on that one too....

Tessa
Hey Tessa,

Your main problem or headache is probably going to be Security. I'm in the airport 2X a week and it is always the #1 source of frustration. While the kids are in the que, you can pull out games, snacks, juice etc but unfortunately security is not so forgiving and I suspect with the high travel season approaching they are not inclined to be any more accomadating.
One thing I saw that was really neat. One women had a clear plastic baggy (a really big one.) She had cheap, dollar store toys and trinkets in it for her kids. while they were waiting the kids played with whatever was in the bag, when she went through security she scooped every thing back into the bag. She told me afterwards it always worked great because security could see immediately in it. If any item was a no-no she could easily throw it out since it only cost $1.00 or two.

I wear slip-on sandals on my kids. So much easier to get them off in the security line. Even my 3 yo is now tuned to take off the shoes when we approach the security belt. One less thing I have to do.

On a side note: that lady with the toddler cup was ridiculous. People need to get a clue and do a little research before their trip. Why is it so many people think they are exempt from the rules? :sad2:

My suggestions based on recent travel:

1. Arrive EARLY. Yes, I know you don't want to have to entertain Junior for an hour at the gate. Trust me that's better then spending all day scrambling to get on a plane because you missed your flight. ATL this week had security lines that extended OUT of the terminal (and it's a BIG terminal) Family arrived one hour before thier flight. After they weren't allowed by airport security to "break" line they spent the time in line in a full fledge panic. (Dad even thought DL would "hold the plane" for them, bet he was disappointed!)

2. Snow Globes have LIQUID and will not fit in your baggie. I have seen several fits when those costly Disney Snow Globes were not allowed to be carried on the plane. Ship or pack in your carry on. (I recommend shipping, that way Disney will replace if broken)

3. Cooperate. I fly a lot and screwed up last Saturday. I had a kitchen knife in my bag. I knew what it was immediately (I forgot until they asked to search the bag) I just meekly followed them to the search area and let them do thier thing. Over and done quickly. Next line over, a man was letting them have it for seeing something. ALL of his bags were searched....

3. Cooperate. I fly a lot and screwed up last Saturday. I had a kitchen knife in my bag. I knew what it was immediately (I forgot until they asked to search the bag) I just meekly followed them to the search area and let them do thier thing. Over and done quickly. Next line over, a man was letting them have it for seeing something. ALL of his bags were searched....

Carol ALWAYS has good travelling advice, but this is HUGE.

DS is 10 now, but since he was 7 something in his name has triggered the dreaded SSSS on his boarding passes. The first time it happened we were taken slightly aback, but did exactly what was requested of us, and we were through Security in about 10 minutes. There were several passengers outraged on our behalf. :confused3

It's old hat to him now, and at the tender age of 10, he knows that his hoodie has to come off, his shoes go in the bin, and his chain and cross gets taken off, put in a zippie, and tossed into his backpack.

We also found that by adding his middle name to his plane tickets now, result in a few less additional screenings.

We are still taking about bringing along a stroller for DD since Disney will be so much walking, but since she is 4, we aren't sure about that.

Definately bring your stoller. You save money on renting one at Disney because you will definately need it. AND we found it useful at the airport for racing DD to the potty every time she yelled "I got to go...now!" :rotfl:

Watch out for them Disney toys. :)

On a flight home from a recent busniess trip to Cleveland, I found a small die cast fire truck from the movie CARS to bring home to my son. The X-RAY picked it up as something dangerous, and I was pulled out of line. They scanned everything in my bag, and when they got to the fire engine, it REPEATEDLY scanned as something bad.

At one point, 5-6 TSA agents were staring at the toy, and the scans. We were all laughing about it, as they KNEW from a visually inspection that it wasn't danergous. After about 15 mintues, they let me go. We all laughed that the TSAs in Orlando must be completely overwhemeld by Disney toys. :)

Watch out for toy unicorns too! It took 3 screeners to decide if we could bring toy unicorns on the plane because of the horn!

I would love to hear more of your tips for moving kids through security easily along with ideas for keeping kids busy during airport wait. We are going to WDW in April 2008 and I have lots of ideas for keeping the kids busy on the plane, but I'm worried about getting the kids through the airport without any problems. How early would you suggest getting to the airport?

Thank you!

Most of the portable DVD players come with a battery attachment. I've seen some for $60-70 recently at Toys R Us and Wal Mart. Great for on the plane or during layovers. Bring along a cheap set of earphones and it won't disturb any of the other passengers.

I would love to hear more of your tips for moving kids through security easily along with ideas for keeping kids busy during airport wait. We are going to WDW in April 2008 and I have lots of ideas for keeping the kids busy on the plane, but I'm worried about getting the kids through the airport without any problems. How early would you suggest getting to the airport?

Thank you!

Believe it or not I would seriously say about 3 hours. Are you flying out of Philly? USair? have you seen the reports on TV? Not a pretty picture? As Carol said lines for security have been crazy :scared1: . I know the thought of entertaining kids for hours in a airport is scaaary but TSA has little leadway and less tolerance. One little blip in the system and you've missed your flight.

My suggestions based on recent travel:

2. Snow Globes have LIQUID and will not fit in your baggie. I have seen several fits when those costly Disney Snow Globes were not allowed to be carried on the plane. Ship or pack in your carry on. (I recommend shipping, that way Disney will replace if broken)

Thank you soooo much for posting this!!!! I would have never thought about it! And we tend to get a new globe every trip! Will the World of Disney store ship to your home? How do you ship from the parks?

My recommendations based on travelling long haul with my 2 ds's (now 4 and 2) are:

1) if going loghaul direct flight (6 hours or over) try to get a night flight and late departure. They'll generally drop off in the airport in the stroller and again on the plane. At least it'll be a quiet flight and even if they are grumpy the next day its on land and not in an airport!

2) be calm and realxed - dont work them into a state of excitement about going on a plane. My boys like it, but arent going mad jumping up and down, which makes being on the plane much calmer.

3) fly with airlines that have seatback TV's and book window seats. Both will keep them entertained.

4) too many toys can be a nightmare, take their small favourites

5) get to the airport in planty of time - even stay overnight if you have a morning flight, or else get there with loads of time to kill, have a meal at the airport and go up to the skylounge viewing areas if there is one to watch the planes.

6) let them take their own little carry on luggage - even if it only has a box of crayons in it!!

7) take a change of clothes, toiletries in your carry on just incase your luggage doesnt follow you!

8) boiled sweets for kids to suck on during the lfight for ears popping, or bottles or breastfeeding for babies during takeoff and landing to help their ears pressurise.

Thank you soooo much for posting this!!!! I would have never thought about it! And we tend to get a new globe every trip! Will the World of Disney store ship to your home? How do you ship from the parks?

When we were at WDW in May they had signs in the stores by the Snow Globes warning people about this. I think the best thing to do is have it shipped home. I think the cm's can arrange it for you right there in the store. If not, then you could probably take it to the resort gift shop and have them ship it from there.

Believe it or not I would seriously say about 3 hours. Are you flying out of Philly? USair? have you seen the reports on TV? Not a pretty picture? As Carol said lines for security have been crazy :scared1: . I know the thought of entertaining kids for hours in a airport is scaaary but TSA has little leadway and less tolerance. One little blip in the system and you've missed your flight.

Yes, we are flying out of PHL via USair. My husband flies USair a few times a year for business and has missed his flight several times due to problems with USair's check in process or lack of USair employees to help with problems. So, I am a bit worried. I was looking at a 9am or 10am flight, but with an hour drive plus arriving 3 hours early...yikes! We will have to leave our house at 5am!!! :scared1: My parents are going on the trip with us and may be flying with us. However my dad is pokey and usually moves slower than my 3 year olds! Will one adult per child make a difference in how early we should arrive at the airport? I hate to fly later in the day because I want to get to WDW, but I don't want four cranky kids! I am counting down the days until the kids' eyes light up at the sight of the castle and I want the moment to be perfect!

Guess I better re-think our travel times. Thanks for the info!!!!!

To keep kids calm on the plane....Benadryl. Just kidding! (or am I?)

The whole sippy cup/TSA thing irritated me. She blatently poured the water out, she looked confrontational in the videos, and she used her "power" to make it seem like she was above the rules (she was a former secret service agent) I don't care if you used to be the president of the United States, if you're going to fly on a commercial airline, you follow the rules. And you do them without getting rude and confrontational.

We had two problems in the last several years.....dh's bag was scanned and flagged. We had to go over to the tables. They inspected it, and pulled out our "what if" bag with his otoscope handle in it (which he always packs in case of ear infections) It was a round cylinder about 6 inches long with a battery in it. Definitely looked suspicious. We usually packed that in checked luggage but didn't that time b/c the bag didn't fit well into our suitcase. Now he's always sure to put it directly into the tray and they look at it carefully while we go through security, but don't pull us to the side.

The other time was when dh didn't think he had to open up his laptop so he left it in his backpack and ran it through. So he got "pulled over" again.

On the way home from Disney this last time we all had brand new crocs and BOY WAS THAT BEAUTIFUL! Usually we all have tie up tennis shoes and it's a hassle to get them off and on. But the crocs were AMAZINGLY simple!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts