"Single mom" and 3 year old. Which resort?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by WiscoMom, Feb 16, 2017.

1. WiscoMom

WiscoMom Earning My Ears

First time travels to WDW. DH is unable to make this trip with us, so just me and DS3.5 going (I may be crazy!) Any recommendations on which resort to use? Moderates are within price range. I'm focused on having "easy" travel between MK and resort if DS gets tired out. Otherwise, trying to keep expectations somewhat low to minimize potential stress.

2. ncc1701

ncc1701 Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

The two Port Orleans resorts are about a 15 minute bus ride from MK. POFQ may work better as it is the smallest moderate. They have a splash pool area for young children that DS might enjoy. A good source of info for both is www.portorleans.org.
    Guests at the two Port Orleans resorts can use each others pools

Hopefully and Babsy like this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.

to hide this advert.
  4. Maggie'sMom

Maggie'sMom DIS Veteran

I haven't noticed a huge difference in travel time to/from the Magic Kingdom among any of the 4 moderates. I would recommend POFQ due to its smaller size. I went with DD when she was 3 and we stayed at POFQ. At that time, POR and POFQ shared buses but POFQ was always picked up and dropped off first. That made it easier to get a seat when headed to the parks. I don't know if the buses are still handled that way at the PO resorts. It was 10 years ago when we made that trip, and wehaven't stayed at POFQ since. Not because we didn't like the resort, we loved it. We were supposed to stay there last year, but ended up having to cancel our trip.

I will recommend you bring an umbrella stroller with you. That trip when DD was 3 I rented strollers at the parks, and I was really wishing I had one for back at the resort. One night DD fell asleep on the bus on our way back from the MK. We hadn't eaten dinner yet and I was trying to navigate the food court holding a sleeping DD on one shoulder. I managed but it was very difficult.

robinb likes this.
  5. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

6. ncc1701

ncc1701 Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

OP regarding the bus the 2 P.O. resorts have shared less on each of our trips. Last few trips we only stopped at POR for MK on a very early bus (7:00am or earlier) and one overflow bus that after leaving POFQ stopped at the main POR stop then went to the MK . We usually leave MK early afternoon and each resort had their own bus.

Babsy likes this.
  7. Anthony1971

Anthony1971 DIS Veteran

Stroller BRING ONE more important than resort... He will sleep parts of the day find a nice rocking chair in the shade... some near the Christmas store in MK and they are under covered porches....The only issue you will have is food as strollers are not allowed inside... so pay attention to his schedule. The afternoon should be fine but nights will be early I would say by 7 he will be out so plan on leaving the parks around 6.... waking up a 3YO for a walk at night when he is out can make for a very un-magical experience.

8. disneyvoice

disneyvoice DIS Veteran

I might be in the minority here but when my son was that age he absolutely LOVED the All Star Movies so we always stayed there. I think there is something about how "loud" and larger than life all the colors and movie characters are that is appealing to little ones. Plus he loved the pool and for some reason he thought eating in the food court was just the most amazing thing! Especially if there are only two of you, the room won't be too cramped at a Value Resort. We did always go back to the resort for a nap. We used to prefer spending less money on the resort so we had more money to do things like character meals. My son is now 15 and is interested in trying out resorts we have never stayed at before but he has such fond memories of walking around the ASMo just looking at everything when he was little.

9. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

I would do POFQ or POR for the reasons PP's point out. Smaller resort, nice amenities, plus you will have the boat to Disney Springs. I travel alone a lot with DS9 (we started traveling alone to WDW together when he was 3.5). I would not bring an umbrella stroller. I would bring or rent a stroller that can be folded with one hand and has some storage space on the bottom so you don't have to carry a bag AND push the stroller. It's also easier to keep everything in that bag so, when the bus comes, you can put the bag over your shoulder or back, pick up DS, fold the stroller and off you go. The reason I recommend POR or POFQ with the boat to DS is, I found, after DS's afternoon nap, I never really wanted to get back on a bus to go somewhere else for dinner, so being able to get on the boat to DS to get something to eat without a lot of bus travel is a big plus.

ncc1701, Hopefully and Babsy like this.
  10. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

When are you planning to go? It's possible that you could stay at a resort near the Magic Kingdom for about the same price as a moderate resort. Disney has a timeshare called the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) based on a point system. Members can book a villa at special DVC resorts at WDW and the villas cost a certain number of points depending on location and time of the year. A studio villa would be perfect for you. There are DVC resort villas at all the Magic Kingdom resorts (the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, the Contemporary and the Wilderness Lodge). You can look here for more information about renting points: http://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/

If you don't want to rent points, I concur with Port Orleans French Quarter if you want to stay at a moderate.

I also think that your son would LOVE the value resorts if you want to save some money. Yes, they are a little bit out of the way and will add a few minutes to your "commute" to and from the parks but like @disneyvoice says, the savings between a value and a moderate will pay for a lot of fun things to do in the parks. I wouldn't discount the values because they are not close to the MK.

I agree that you should take an umbrella stroller with you. Some people are park commandos and go-go-go all day. We have always taken a break for a nap and a swim (even now with a teen!). If you think your son might melt down after a few hours you can always plan in a mid-day break and then go back into the parks for the fireworks.

11. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

I also agree with the POFQ for someone alone and a 3.5 year old. It is small, rooms will fir, only one bus stop and the pool is good for that age group. There is only the food court for dining at POFQ, but you can walk with the stroller to POR for the Food court or TS there, or boat to DS for a wider range of options.

I would also check out standard rooms at the WL or AKL when discounts become available. Depending upon the time of year and discounts offered, you may get a standard room for a price close to the rates at a moderate. The other option could be the Swan or Dolphin. If you qualify for teacher, nurse or military discount you can sometimes get a really good rate there. Worth looking into, anyway.

Meanwhile all the mods are great resorts!

HopperFan likes this.
  12. WiscoMom

WiscoMom Earning My Ears

Everyone on this board is so kind and helpful! The point rental intrigues me but confuses me too. I think DS would enjoy theming at All Star Movies. Do you have any idea what length of ride it is to MK from Movies?

13. WiscoMom

WiscoMom Earning My Ears

Edited:. Looking at 3/26-3/29

14. Maggie'sMom

Maggie'sMom DIS Veteran

Are you locked into going at this particular time, or do you have some flexibility? You'll run into huge crowds from Spring Break at that time, plus the resort rates will be higher than at an off time. If you have flexibility, I'd try to go during a less busy time.

15. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

2017? Unfortunately DVC resorts fill up and availability is usually pretty scarce 6-8 weeks beforehand. I looked at your dates and there is currently no availability for your dates at any DVC resort.

16. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

When my DW went with our DD and another friend they were perfectly happy with staying at an all-star resort and enjoyed saving the extra $$. My DW said that her and our DD had plenty of room for the 2 of them in their room. She also took an umbrella stroller, since it was very easy to fold up and carry. I will say that both our DDs likes ASMO as the best value resort. Below is the distance from the All-Stars to the parks, none of the resorts are really far from the parks.
    ALL STARS:
    Magic Kingdom: 7 miles
    Epcot: 4 miles
    Hollywood Studios: 2 miles
    Animal Kingdom: 3 miles

17. lovedisneycruise

lovedisneycruise Mouseketeer

THIS.
    A young Toddler will LOVE the larger than life icons, particularly Woody and Buzz lightyear. To me, the values are particularly fun for the little ones. As a single mom, I did this with both of my young children and the three of us fit fine in a value room. The food court selections are also much better in recent years; Lots of healthy variety beyond the typical chicken tenders.
    I also highly recommend Pop century because you can walk across the bridge and view the beauty of AOA also. I think the values would be a better choice for a first stay, and your small child will enjoy the grounds much more than the moderates.

Tinkerbelle's Mom and robinb like this.
  18. wdw4rfam

wdw4rfam DVC member

In the moderates, I'm going to agree with POFQ for small size and one bus stop. But I'm also going to agree with the 2 above and say just you and a 3yo, all star movies is awesome. We had many great trips when the kids were little at movies. My son would still rather stay there than POLY.

19. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

Hi, OP!

First of all, you are NOT crazy to bring your son alone. I started taking my kids without my DH when they were 4 and 6, and we had a wonderful time! Of course, we took it slow many days, relaxed by the pool a bit, and didn't do any table service meals. Sometimes there is a helpful cast member at counter service places that will help with carrying a tray, and other times at small places I could sit them down at a table, then go get the food while keeping any eye on them.

Have you considered a preferred room at Pop Century? With just the two of you, double beds should be find. The theme is super cute. I found the bus service there perfectly fine, and it was a quick ride anywhere.

I agree to bring a stroller with you! One that he can take short naps in. I brought one until my kids were about 7!

20. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I agree with All Star Movies for a 3 year old....so perfect for that age. Its super fun themed, he'll absolutely love it. The bus ride to MK from movies isnt too far. Maybe about 15 min?

For that age, i'd take a midday nap break at the resort. That way you'll be able to go back out to the parks later and at least watch wishes etc. :)

21. tjmw2727

tjmw2727 DIS Veteran

Traveled as the solo adult with my dd's starting at 2ish as well as the two of them by myself starting at 2 and 4 years old, it is completely manageable and was lots of fun.

I would say POFQ or Pop (preferred) and I lean toward POFQ because I love to have my coffee and its easier if you can just make it in the room as well as the boat to Disney springs.

Stock up at the store/food court or bring snacks and breakfast stuff with you so you can at least have breakfast in the room to save time and money. And think ahead about what you would want/need after he goes to sleep as you won't be running out to grab a soda or a snack :)

Agree with others - use a lightweight stroller and a backpack to the parks for the easiest way to get on and off the buses and don't bring anything that can be made do without or purchased in a emergency.