Singing

TinkerTracy

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow disers i am in need of some help from all you singers out there
I have a show coming up on the 20th (jan) and I need a song to sing (i am doing two i already have one)
I am a soprano but i don't really want anything too high because I might get nervous....and crack
I do a lot of singing in shows....and other various things and I take private lessons....so any suggestions are welcome

a few questions first:
what kind of a show is it? is this a classic choir-type setting or more broadway style?
how much voice experience have you had/how old are you?
you should definitely do something you're going to be comfortable with, so sounds like nothing too awfully high (I have similar problems, btw...you're not alone!). When you're performing you're more apt to make those kind of mistakes b/c of the added stress, so you want to play it safe while still having something impressive and enjoyable for the audience...imho :teeth:
just thought of another question...what is your comfortable range?

and congrats on having a solo!

Thank you!
This isn't a traditional choir (but i do do that also)
This is my voice teacher/music school putting on a talent showcase I guess you can call it
I am 15 years old and I agree with everything you said
I am looking for something farmilar maybe broadway...? Not too classical but nothing too poppy...any suggestions?
Thanks for replying
It's good to know there is another singer on the DIS! :grouphug:

hmmm...*puts thinking cap on* ;)
May I ask what the other song you're singing is?
I can't think of anything right away, but I will keep thinking. :goodvibes

"I Remember You" - Skid Row
"18 and Life" - Skid Row

I don't know if that would be acceptable though, but they would be great to show off a voice.

I've thought of a few...
-the one that goes "the way you wear your hat, the way you sip your tea, the memory of all that, oh they can't take that away from me."
-a song a girl sang in our Fall broadway-type concert last year called Shall We Dance (not the one from the King and I)...she was a soprano...not too high but still I think showed off ability
-and My Favorite Things or whatever it's called...from the Sound of Music?
just some ideas. I can't remember them well enough to say for sure how well they would showcase your voice, but I do believe they had safe ranges, and I personally enjoyed listening to them :goodvibes
Let me know what you think, and I'll let you know if I think of any more.

nice to meet a fellow Disney-loving singer! :wave2: :)

Hum.. *thinks* I say the same as ellindea

(your a saprano to? Awesome! My music teacher in the 6th grade wanted me to do the really high note you sing on the EEEEE thing in the song In the Jungle.. that was possibly the highest note i have ever hit..anyways good luck!)

How about "Castle on a Cloud" from Les Mis? That is a great song....easy to learn/sing and not too high. Perfect for a young voice.

I am a professional singer (soprano) and a voice teacher. That is my 2 cents worth. see www.sondrajones.com
Thats me!

yah, Castle on a Cloud is a good one. I sang it in 7th grade for a festival (and got a 1! woohoo! :) )

"Stars and the Moon" from Songs for a New World.

You'd probably have to throw a little bit of acting into it...it's basically a story and you couldn't just sing it straight. I'm sure you can handle it if you're involved in performing arts ;)

It's an absolutely amazing song and I can send you the song file if you can't find it online.

Good luck =)

Castle on a Cloud. I am a soprano also, and I don't feel too comfortable going really high either.

Dancing Queen by Abba or Sixpence none the richer. They sound alot alike, but I sugest the SNTR version

Kiss Me by sixpence none the richer.

Do you believe in Magic by David Cassidy.

I also love I Remember You by Skid Row, I think Munky said that?

wow thanks everyone
I really like some of these suggestions and I'll look into them
I am so happy so many people posted and gave ideas
I'll let you know what I pick soon...
:Pinkbounc :grouphug: Thanks Again

I think castle on a cloud is also a beautiful peice :goodvibes. Please tell us your decision when you think of one! Good Luck!

thanks
My first song is Steal away...Phil Coulter's rendition
and they *might* not need a second song but I am picking one Just in case

I'm a soprano too, and here's some songs I've sang...

"When You Look At Me" -Scarlet Pimpernell. amazing song, and it really showcases a soprano voice. not that high, not that low.

"Only Love" -also from Scarlet Pimpernell. love it as well. same highness as the other one.

"Someone to Watch Over Me" - Gershwin's version. an oldie, but a classic for a soprano.

"Somewhere Out There" - from Fiefel, The American Tale.

I would say "Think of Me" from Phantom, cuz it's an amazing song for sopranos, but you don't want to go as high as this one does (high high Bb. lol)

I agree with Sparx on Dancing Queen or Do you believe in Magic.

I'm a first soprano in my chorus. I really only sing operatic stuff.

I really don't know what to suggest. Sorry -shrugs- Looks like you got other good suggestions though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter