Sightseeing and restaurants in LA

BusyMomof3

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We recently returned from a spring break trip to WDW. THe day after we got back, DH found out he is going to LA in early May. We scrambled to make arrangements so that I can tag along with him. We will have 1 full day and 3 partial days free while we are there. Of course, we will spend the full day at DL - nothing like doing WDW and DL within a month of each other. :earsboy: Now, what to do on the partial days. We will be staying near UCLA and would like to do some sightseeing that is fairly close to there(DH will need to be there for part of each day). We're thinking about Hollywood and the Chinese theatre. We will have a rental car, and have also thought of driving up the coast a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions for sightseeing, or for casual restaurants you would recommend in that area? TIA

Elaine

You'll be very close to the Ghetty Center, and also pretty close to the Highland Complex, which houses Mann's Chinese Theater, Kodak Theater, & shops in that area. You'll be close enough to Rodeo Drive, La Brea Tarpits. If you go to Chinatown, also go to Olvera Street, birthplace of Los Angeles....

On one day, drive on Sunset Blvd till you hit the beach & eat at that restaurant - Gladstones - If you time it around sunset it'll be very nice.

You'll be off of the 405 freeway, and can also visit Universal Studios/City Walk - not too far away. There is an IMAX Theater about 10 mins south on the freeway from where you'll be -- there are a bunch of play houses - see a play in one of them, or go to the movies at the Cinerama Dome or El Capitan (owned by Disney). Eat at Pinks - small hot dog joint frequented by the stars.

Marina del Rey isn't too far - Cheesecake Factory & other yummy restaurants...

Go further south on the 405, and cut off to Redondo Beach Pier - have dinner at Tony's Restaurant.

Take 405 to the 10 east to the 110 south, and go to Museum of Natural History or Science Museum - or even the IMAX theater there ....

There's more

Well, here's a few to start off with:

The Grove is a pretty nice place to see. It's got some nice shops, good places to dine, and you have a chance to see some movie stars.

For dining, here's a couple of one's to try: Tito's Tacos, which isn't too far from LAX is tasty and relatively cheap. However, they get really busy there because of it's popularity. For burgers, In-N-Out. They're really popular out here. Another burger joint is called Tommy's. They are famous for their chili burgers but be forewarned that the chili can get to you!:rolleyes1 Chinatown is obviously famous for, you guessed it, chinese food. Sam Woo's is one location that I enjoy going to.

Since you'll be out here in May, you can catch a baseball game at the league-leading Dodgers Stadium! Woohoo!

We've also got some nice beaches out here as well. The whole stretch including Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan is pretty cool to hang out and maybe play some beach volleyball.

When I think of others, I'll let you know...

Ditto all the above. You are also close to Santa Monica and Venice. The beach area is lively and unique. Stroll the boardwalk, people watch and there are tons of restaurants, upscale and casual to chose from. Shutters on the Beach is great for area and view.

If you're into shopping you'll have tons and tons and tons of shopping :) Beverly Center, Rodeo/Beverly, The grove at farmers market. Plus tons of 'regular' malls! You're going to be in the heart of everything! What kind of stuff are you 'into'?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think we'll plan to spend one afternoon at the Farmer's Market and the Grove, one afternoon at the Ghetty Center, Highland Complex, etc, and one afternoon at the beach. That seems like a good mix of things. We'll be there in a couple of weeks - Can't wait! I'm especially excited to see all the new and special anniversary stuff at DL.

The Getty Museum is closed on Mondays...FYI. Have fun here in LA! You might catch a celeb sighting at the Farmer's Mkt. CBS Television City is nearby and sometimes some go there for a simple lunch.

I haven't been to LA since 1997, but if El Coyote restaurant is still around, that's on our "must do" list for our September trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter