Sick of paying more to use a credit card.

I do not sign the backs of my credit cards for this reason.

I write "CHECK FOR I.D." on the back.

Dawn

I did this on my cards and at a bookstore I was told I could not use my card because it was not signed and therefore invalid. I had never heard that before and have only had it happen once.

funny, I was just asked for ID at citifield (mets) the other night. The name didn't match and she didn't say anything.

I find here on LI no one looks at the signature. In the supermarket you don't even need to sign for it if it is under 25 dollars. When we were in FL, the woman at the PUblix examined the signatures like we were criminals.

I almost had it out with a clerk in Wal amrt when we were in WDW 3 weeks ago. To cut down on the risk of losing cards and stuff we only brought one credit card and it happened to have my husbands name on it. i went to pay in Wal Mart and he was out in teh car with the kids...first, they made me have my step daughter bring his ID in, and then because he didn't come himself, she called for a manager who thankfully told me to go on my way. I was pretty angry that they put me through all that for $10 worth of groceries late at night when teh kids were tired and cranky.

I almost had it out with a clerk in Wal amrt when we were in WDW 3 weeks ago. To cut down on the risk of losing cards and stuff we only brought one credit card and it happened to have my husbands name on it. i went to pay in Wal Mart and he was out in teh car with the kids...first, they made me have my step daughter bring his ID in, and then because he didn't come himself, she called for a manager who thankfully told me to go on my way. I was pretty angry that they put me through all that for $10 worth of groceries late at night when teh kids were tired and cranky.

Why were you upset over that? Would you have been equally upset if someone had stolen your card and was racking up huge charges and no clerk bothered to check that it was the correct person? That just seems ridiculous to me. They were doing this to protect you. If it was such a problem, bring two cards or have the person whose name is on the card use the card.

Well most of the gas stations around here (AT THE MOMENT) you do not have to pay more to use a card. So for now, yes I do expect to get both. So seeing that this one in particluar did charge more, surprised me.

The stations here all charge pretty much the same for gas (within a penny or two) UNLESS you pay cash then you get a discount. I actually like the perk for paying cash and hope it catches on, so I can get discounts for things other than gasoline.

And considering how much the CC companies take from the businesses for offering their cards as payment it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes common place in the future. BTW, AE and Discover take a larger % from the businesses than MC or Visa do so that is why you see Visa and MC accepted more than the other two.

dsny1mom

The stations here all charge pretty much the same for gas (within a penny or two) UNLESS you pay cash then you get a discount. I actually like the perk for paying cash and hope it catches on, so I can get discounts for things other than gasoline.

And considering how much the CC companies take from the businesses for offering their cards as payment it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes common place in the future. BTW, AE and Discover take a larger % from the businesses than MC or Visa do so that is why you see Visa and MC accepted more than the other two.

dsny1mom

Ya, I do figure that it may become more common in the future, and I will just have to go back to cash and checks. I did'nt know that about AE and Discover, but I have neither.

:confused3Why in the world would this upset you? I would be thankful that they did not want to accept a card without my name on it.

this really bothers me with my electric bill, and gas bill
if I pay online with a credit card, the fees are rediculous - I think gas was like $12 and electric is like $5? I don't remember exactly

all my other bills, even my local little water/sewage bill I can pay online with a credit card for no fees. I like this so much better because I can get % back on a credit card.

I have seen people turned down at Disney World for not having their card signed. They are not supposed to take a card that says, Request ID either.

I sign and put see id. I also sign receipts differently than the way I sign it on the card. (For instance the card may have only my first and last name--I sign receipts using my first name, middle initial and last name). I have done this forever (and I am close to 50--LOL) and have never had anyone question it.

These fees are why Wal-Mart bought a bank several years back...then those fees stays in-house.

If it is a Mastercard they aren't suppose to accept it, don't know if that is true on Visa because that is my debit which I don't like to use.

It's true for all cards -- they have to be signed to be valid! I sign them and write "ASK 4 ID" next to my signature

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter