Shula's vs Bull & Bear

Which is the better steakhouse?

• Shula's

• Bull & Bear

• Other, because there is always an other...

Results are only viewable after voting.

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Did a search and didn't find this discussed before.

There are many discussions on this board about who the "best steak" for those visiting WDW. One name comes up often - Shula's (at the Dolphin). Some folks have mentioned Bull & Bear at the Waldorf-Astoria (technically not on property but close enough for me).

I have eaten at Bull & Bear and loved it. Haven't tried Shula's yet, but I will.

I'd love to hear comments from people who have tried both. Which did you like better and why?

Interesting that so far Shula's is the leader in the poll, unanimously.

I've never been to Bear & Bull, but I would love to try it. Shula's is really good but there are better steaks out there.

I voted for "other", because I've never been Bull & Bear, although I've heard it's very good. I have been to Shula's and it's just ok. I think it's good for drinks, apps and desserts in the bar. The steaks weren't anything special and the prices are ridiculous for something that I didn't really like. I prefer Ruth's Chris anyday over Shula's.

Even though I started the poll I didn't vote either. I'm in the same situation as Uncleromulus in that I've only been to one of them - in my case B&B.

Good question.

I voted Shula's as better steak, but would choose B&B for dinner tonight, if I were in town.

I have been to both B&B and Shula's multiple times.

I prefer B&B for the dining experience, but feel the best steak I ever had on property was Yachtsman three weeks ago.

I thought i did a comparison of the two and it might be on the waldorf astoria thread, but I have eaten at both. My hubby and I eat at Bull and Bear every chance we get, about 5 times. I have eaten at Shula's once and him twice (once with me, once when he was on a work trip). We specifically went to Shula's just to compare it to Bull and Bear (so we had eaten here at least 3 times before we went to Shula's). Honestly the price is not that different. I would say that Bull and Bear was more expensive but only a few dollars. For a good steak place I don't find Bull and Bear badly priced. Unfortunately it has been a year almost since being at Bull and Bear (going in a couple of weeks :cool1:). I thought the steak was better at Bull and Bear but steak was almost as good at Shula's. I thought the appetizers and sides were better at Bull and Bear. I also really like the ambiance there. I love football but Shula's is so dark and loud because of all the wood. B&B is quiet and less people, better service. Servers were more polished. In general they are very close but for me I prefer Bull and Bear. Ask questions if you want more details.

My friends were scheduled to go to Bull and Bear mid-October but changed their minds when they saw changes to the menu that must have occurred in recent months. They went to Citrico's instead.

I haven't been to B&B, either. I would love it if someone who had gone to B&B earlier this year would re-visit and tell us if the changes were for the better or for the worse.

I haven't been to B&B, either. I would love it if someone who had gone to B&B earlier this year would re-visit and tell us if the changes were for the better or for the worse.

Lori, Val & I went to B&B in September and really enjoyed it. Can't comment on the change in menu since that was the first time we went.

I was amused that the lighting in B&B is very dim. So much so that the menus and wine lists come in a portfolio that has little lights built in.

I just checked the menu on the website. Looks very similar to what I had in Jan (how sad, but should be going at the end of the month).

Even though I started the poll I didn't vote either. I'm in the same situation as Uncleromulus in that I've only been to one of them - in my case B&B.
I finally got around to voting in my own poll. I've eaten in Shula's a couple of times since I posted the poll, but I always go back to B&B. The service and food at B&B are just better all around.

When voting in this thread please do so only if you've actually experienced both restaurants.

Shula's for us. Our steak at Bull and Bear was very good, the desserts were amazing and the service was, well, overly-attentive almost to the point of annoying. The better dining experience for us is Shula's. We have a NYE reservation at STK at Disney Springs so we'll see how that compares to the others.

I didn't vote in the poll because I haven't eaten at either one. I have eaten at Shula's in Chicago. To me, when I am @ Disney, I want my whole experience to be at Disney and I would just as soon eat the Steak at Yachtsman or now out on the warf at Boathouse. I get to eat good Midwest beef all the time at places like St. Elmo's, their sister restaurant Harry and Izzy's, Gibson's (owner or the Boathouse), Ruth's, the Chop House what used to be Magnum's in Chicago. They all are basically the same, just minute differences. For some reason I don't care for the S & D so I just don't venture over there. Figure the Shula's there is like what I ate in Chicago. Great steak.

Believe it or not, I am the exact same way for Golf. I know there are better courses around (and the one over by the Bull and Bear is one of them) but I would rather just spend my time banging the ball around the Palm, Magnolia and LBV courses, seeing the wildlife, the accomodations on the course and experiencing Disney 24/7. Pull me into my hotel and I don't venture out of bounds very often (looking at you Buffalo Wild Wings in Crossroads).

I've been to both several times, and pick B&B for better food and atmosphere, but I'm a devoted Swolphin fan, so I end up at Shula's more often out of convenience. I end up at Blue Zoo more than both combined, and honestly, it has a really good filet, and some of the best Manhattans I've ever experienced.

We have a NYE reservation at STK at Disney Springs so we'll see how that compares to the others.
I'll be interested to hear your opinion of STK. We haven't gone there yet, but are a bit concerned about the noise level from other reports.

Jeff, we had a very good experience at STK. We were seated on the 2nd floor patio area. The patio offers a great view of Disney Springs and there were plenty of heaters running to keep the area shirtsleeve comfortable even though the temps were in the low 60s when we arrived. The service was excellent and the meal was well paced. Before we ordered our server asked if we had any time constraints. When we told him no he said he would not rush us and would make sure that everything flowed smoothly. Our meal was 90 minutes from salad to main course to dessert. We both had the filet, which arrived exactly as ordered. As good as it was I'd still give the nod the Shula's filet. That said, we will definitely return again to STK.

Like you, I was concerned about the sound level of the music played by the in-house DJ. There are 4 speakers on the patio but we had no trouble holding a conversation. In fact, at times the music from Disney Springs was louder than the in house music. We expected to hear lively NYE music. There was that but also some Marvin Gaye/Tammy Tyrell, Jackson 5, Herb Alpert and even some Hugh Masekela.

Thanks for the report Dave. Sounds pretty good. About what time did you get seated?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter