Shrimp was on sale today. Need cooking info and recipes!

grumpy28

DIS Veteran
So my local grocery store had shrimp on sale today, B1G2 free (easy peel raw shrimp, 21-30 count per bag). These are frozen shrimp. Please help me figure out how to use them! I plan on boiling them to cook them (I don't have a steamer basket). In the past I've just boiled them a few mins, until pink. Is there a better method for cooking them? We love shrimp, but don't get them often since they are so expensive (in our area at least).

Also, if anyone has any quick, easy, and budget friendly recipes, please share!

Step 1) Realize that shrimp is an arthropod, related to the cockroach.
Step 2) Throw shrimp in trash
Step 3) Eat something tasty.

DH likes when I saute them in butter and garlic or olive oil and garlic, or with spices and cajun sausage.

I personally like them on someone else's plate.

Shrimp are my favorite. When I am boiling them, I like to put a package of crab boil in the water and bring it to a boil before adding the shrimp. Shrimp cook very fast - 2-3 minutes is all it takes. Cocktail sauce is a must in our house - ketchup, hot sauce, a squeeze of lemon or lime, and horseradish. Sometimes, I throw corn on the cob, andouille sausage, or potatoes into the boiling water before adding the shrimp.

I also like peeling them then sauteing them in butter and garlic.

Shrimp fajitas are a favorite at our house. (Just know that the peppers and onions take longer to cook than the shrimp, so don't put them all in at the same time.)
We also like shrimp with angel hair pasta, butter, lemon and parmesan. Grilled shrimp/shrimp kabobs. Grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp, brushed with honey (near the end of cooking time so honey doesn't burn). Shrimp ceviche.

Or just watch Forest Gump ;)
upload_2017-10-18_14-47-8.jpeg

Shrimp fajitas are a favorite at our house. (Just know that the peppers and onions take longer to cook than the shrimp, so don't put them all in at the same time.)
We also like shrimp with angel hair pasta, butter, lemon and parmesan. Grilled shrimp/shrimp kabobs. Grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp, brushed with honey (near the end of cooking time so honey doesn't burn). Shrimp ceviche.

Or just watch Forest Gump ;)
View attachment 277917

you beat me too it :)

Tom Jones Shrimp - Serve it with a salad and plenty of crusty bread for dipping in the sauce. Just set the large casserole dish full of it in the middle of the table and go at it!

Tom Jones Shrimp: (serves 4)
1 lb shrimp (fresh unpeeled)
1 TBS ground pepper
1.5 tsp salt
lemon juice (1 lemon or 3 TBS)
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
several shakes of hot pepper sauce
1 clove minced garlic
3 TBS olive oil
3 TBS butter

- preheat oven to 350
- wash shrimp & place in casserole dish
- mix sauce & pour over shrimp
- dot with butter
- bake 20 minutes
- serve with bread for dipping

We've also done Low Country Shrimp Boils. Need a huge steamer pot for it. We threw in:
shrimp, polish sausage, potatoes, corn on cob, old bay... (you can also add crabs, mussels or clams as well). Once it has steamed, we line the kitchen sink with newspaper and dump it in. It goes great with bloody marys. Yummy and fun!

I also have a killer Shrimp & Grits recipe, but it's at home and I'm at work. I'll try to post it later.

Right, before you do anything, you need to thaw and peel them...you can save the peels to immediately make an awesome shrimp stock (I haven't frozen them, so I don't know if I'd recommend that b/c one thing you find out is shrimp stink really fast - take your trash out and wash your dishes before bed after having shrimp).

As for what you can do with them afterwards - ANYTHING! My son's favorite is lemon butter garlic shrimp over orzo - it's as simple as melting 4TB butter per 2lb shrimp with a healthy amount of garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat, dump in the shrimp, add salt and pepper and squeeze a whole lemon over (and pre-zest it and add that, too, if you love lemon) and cook til pink (I usually flip them once). Serve over orzo to which you add a little salt and fat (a little more butter or olive oil - about a TB, so it doesn't stick) and serve with some shrimp sauce and shrimp on the orzo.

But, I've made Shrimp Alfredo, Shrimp in Thai Sauce, Shrimp Salad, Shrimp in Hot Sauce, Shrimp Cakes, Shrimp Bisque (with my homemade stock:))etc...when shrimp is really cheap, I splurge and buy plenty b/c I can use it for so many things, and my kids love them...

You can throw frozen shrimp into a little garlic/lemon/oil marinade in a baggie, let sit 15 mins then grill.

Or stir fry, veggies that require longer cooking first, then shrimp. Toss in some yummy teriyaki or other Asian sauce.

Pan fry, then set aside while you make a quick cream sauce with some dill and lemon. Add shrimp, rewarm, serve over rice.

Thanks for all the cooking tips and recipes! I have a lot of shrimp in the freezer (and debating getting 3 more bags!), so keep the recipes and cooking tips coming! :)

Another nice recipe is bacon wrapped shrimp - 1/2 thin slice bacon per large shrimp (use a 1/4 slice if you get thick bacon - cut length and width for the 1/4). Biggest secret - PAR COOK THE BACON! You want the bacon almost cooked through before it gets crisp (so bendable/wrapable, but pretty close to cooked:))...let it cool, wrap the shrimp (and you can add BBQ seasoning or just S&P) - use a toothpick if needed to secure, and you can cook it at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or so (check at 8 min in case you have smaller shrimp that cook fast)...make sure the shrimp are pink and opaque and the bacon is done (by pre-cooking the bacon, you shouldn't end up with either raw bacon or rubbery shrimp...if you use them both raw, it's gonna fail:))...it's a great app for app night - serve with mozza sticks or potato skins and a veg plate and call it a day:)...

Last edited:
I use frozen shrimp and thaw them just a little so I can peel them

I like: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/penne_a_la_betsy/

https://therecipecritic.com/2017/01/sticky-honey-garlic-butter-shrimp/

and also Pioneer Woman does a shrimp scampi that I make and add spinach to.

Now, the penne dish looks like a must try next time I need to use shrimp - I'll probably lighten it up with half and half instead of heavy cream, or a mix of cream and whole milk (my family is used to whole milk alfredos with a roux, so this dish is probably too rich for them as is:)...but I do love me some tomato cream wine sauces!:)

Now, the penne dish looks like a must try next time I need to use shrimp - I'll probably lighten it up with half and half instead of heavy cream, or a mix of cream and whole milk (my family is used to whole milk alfredos with a roux, so this dish is probably too rich for them as is:)...but I do love me some tomato cream wine sauces!:)

I use light cream....

So my local grocery store had shrimp on sale today, B1G2 free (easy peel raw shrimp, 21-30 count per bag). These are frozen shrimp. Please help me figure out how to use them! I plan on boiling them to cook them (I don't have a steamer basket). In the past I've just boiled them a few mins, until pink. Is there a better method for cooking them? We love shrimp, but don't get them often since they are so expensive (in our area at least).

Also, if anyone has any quick, easy, and budget friendly recipes, please share!

I thaw out frozen shrimp in a bowl of cold water. It takes about one hour, just dump the contents of the bag into the water.

If you are looking for an excellent recipe just go to foodtv and look up Ina Garten’s recipe for baked shrimp. It’s what we use now for our one of our Christmas Eve fish dishes. There are many other good recipes there too.

If you are making a small amount of shrimp I sauté it in a frying pan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter