Shoulder replacement

bushdianee

<font color=green>I had a water fun day planned<br
By this time tomorrow I will have a new shoulder! I am only supposed to be in the hospital one night. I am hoping that they send me for rehab as I live alone and have severe arthritis in my other shoulder and both knees. The past 2 weeks have been very painful as I had to stop my arthritis medication for surgery. Walking with a cane and one arm in a sling won't be easy! They came out today to fit me for the sling and a cooling machine. I don't see how I will be able to put either on by myself. When I brought up my living alone to the doctor he said they will make the decision of where I go the day after surgery. I have bought a few button down tops to make dressing easier. I would appreciate any tips anyone might have.

By this time tomorrow I will have a new shoulder! I am only supposed to be in the hospital one night. I am hoping that they send me for rehab as I live alone and have severe arthritis in my other shoulder and both knees. The past 2 weeks have been very painful as I had to stop my arthritis medication for surgery. Walking with a cane and one arm in a sling won't be easy! They came out today to fit me for the sling and a cooling machine. I don't see how I will be able to put either on by myself. When I brought up my living alone to the doctor he said they will make the decision of where I go the day after surgery. I have bought a few button down tops to make dressing easier. I would appreciate any tips anyone might have.
Well, @bushdianee, my best wishes for a very successful, pain eliminating replacement. I'm sure you will do great. My mom had one of the very first shoulder replacements, way back in the late 1970's. She did very well.

Tips? I would almost demand that you be sent to a rehab nursing home for 10 days or so. Being home alone is not easy after a joint replacement situation in those early days. Home therapy is not a substitute for nursing home rehab. I had a knee replacement 8 years ago, was in nursing home rehab for 15 days, then 2 months of outpatient PT. Marie had a hip replacement 6 years ago, 11 days in nursing home rehab, then 2 months out patient PT.

You'll do well, @bushdianee, you'll see. But get that nursing home rehab.

Good luck with your surgery.

You sound like a good candidate for rehab, for sure, and outpatient VNA/PT services after that, as needed.

best wishes on a speedy recovery! i will add that cooling machines are one of the best inventions ever-used one after knee surgery and it helped so much!

Prayers said. I agree with Dan - please insist on rehab.
Do you have anyone that can advocate for you?
Could someone be with you in recovery to aid in the conversations?

r.e. bold - GOOD LUCK and get them to anti-up with rehab.

Had my right shoulder replaced in 2016 at age 66.

Monday AM went into surgery and went home as soon as anesthesia wore off.

Tuesday AM went to Dr.'s office to see PT, had sling removed, inspection of sight, check for ease of movement, told the LIMITS of MOVEMENT ALLOWED, got OK to ride bicycle next day and sent home without sling.

Wednesday
relaxed with *cooling device* and only acetaminophen for discomfort.

Thursday I went out for a 20 mile bicycle ride.

p.s. - Was still able to clean house, cook for DW and wash dishes, do laundry but DW had to hang on clothesline.

I'm a PT that does both inpatient and outpatient. Most people go home the same day for any joint replacement, every now and then someone will stay overnight, usually if they need an alternate discharge plan. The typical protocol is that you will see a PT and/or OT while at the hospital (the hospitals I work at, sometimes it is just OT for shoulders). Our role is to make sure you have a safe discharge plan and provide any recommendations. In your case I don't see any reason why rehab wouldn't be an option. That's not usually a decision the surgeon makes anyway.

Shoulder surgery is not fun but you will be back in action before you know it!

My 80 year old father who lives with us just had his first knee replacement yesterday. He spent the night in the hospital and may spend tonight there as well. He will be going to a rehab facility before he comes home. I had to fight for this as I work full time and can not be home for home PT to come to the house. Nothing was determined until today though so yesterday I was so stressed that I was going to have to be a full time nurse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts