Should we Lyft/Uber or Rent?

JereMary

Mouseketeer
We have a one night only trip in late October. We want to maximize our time, so I've already ruled out Magical Express. However, since it's one night only, would it be a better choice to use Lyft/Uber or rent a car? If renting is less expensive, how much longer would it hold us up at the airport?
Thank you!

For one night, I would tend to favor Uber.

In calculating the cost/convenience of a rental car, don't forget these factors:
  • You will have some time loss on both ends of your trip -- picking up the rental car and returning it.
  • I assume you are staying onsite, so you would not have to pay for theme park parking. However, you will have a parking fee at the resort. Don't forget to include that. No theme park parking fees with Uber.
  • What about shopping/dining? If you plan to do anything offsite, those will be additional Uber rides ($).

I worry about all of the planning that asks about using Lyft or Uber for Disney trips. If we do not support the castmembers and use Disney transport options including Magic Express, monorail, ferry and water taxis, Resort to Theme Parks, and yes the new SkyLiner... I believe Disney will justify this as reason to continue to reduce cast and perks.
Yes I understand individual guest desire to arrive quickly but if we are all doing this and zipping around with Uber / Lyft and renting individual cars...the traffic and parking will be overwhelmed. Disney needs to consider the eventual ramifications of ignoring this trend along with increase in accidents and road maintenance for upkeep and expansion will mean more construction.
Plus it is bad for the environment.
Sorry I just can not ignore this any more. I must be the only one that thinks Uber& Lyft is not the solution Disney should be allowing to expand on property. .. And how secure are we if strangers can make deliveries all over property , and yet we are xrayed and rooms inspected as if we are the security threat Disney is searching for!

And how secure are we if strangers can make deliveries all over property , and yet we are xrayed and rooms inspected as if we are the security threat Disney is searching for!
Hmmm. I've actually never been x-rayed at WDW, nor have I had my room inspected.

On the question of Uber/Lyft drivers being allowed access to WDW, some of that is state law. If Disney allows taxis, car services, shuttles, etc access, they can't legally keep Uber out.

In addition to that little legal constraint, Disney also actually enjoys having Uber/Lyft bringing visitors to WDW from off-site. The Mouse is not going to prohibit people being brought to their property to spend money.

Also a part of Florida law is the very stringent requirement for a very detailed background check for all rideshare drivers. It is MUCH more strict than what taxis, car services, etc provide.

In addition to the state requirement, Uber does two more things -- they re-do all driver background checks annually, and they have an independent company that provides continuous public records monitoring and reports any arrests or other legal issues to Uber for investigation.

Visitors, of course, are not required to have any background investigations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter