Should I use points for a late check in or just pay OOP for chain hotel?

LeahA

DIS Veteran
We've decided to drive straight through from Illinois to Florida, we've only done it 1 time, but plan to do it again. Our arrival will put us in around 1:30a.m. in the morning. Do you think based on availibility should we use points and go to our DVC 1 night early, or just pay OOP at some chain hotel off property and come to the DVC in the a.m.?

We've decided to drive straight through from Illinois to Florida, we've only done it 1 time, but plan to do it again. Our arrival will put us in around 1:30a.m. in the morning. Do you think based on availibility should we use points and go to our DVC 1 night early, or just pay OOP at some chain hotel off property and come to the DVC in the a.m.?

I wouldn't use my points for that late of a check in. I will be arriving at 10:00and didn't want to. I have used Hotwire a lot for hotel stays and you can choose an area to stay close and get very reasonable rates. Then move in the morning. We were going to get there late on our next trip and we have decided to try a Value for this night. We had never stayed in one before and thought it would be fun to give it a try. I didn't want to use weekend points for a late check in. I couldn't use Hotwire for this night because we are using Magical Express and not renting a car this trip.

Depends on how you feel about moving the next morning and your day of arrival.

If it were weekday points, I'd be very tempted to just get settled in my DVC room, sleep in a bit the next morning and then get started on vacation.

If it were weekend points, it might be worth it to stop somewhere at a decent hour (early evening) and then get up early to arrive at WDW mid-day. Especially if there were kids along. Maybe they could go for a swim before bedtime.

What matters is what is important to you!

I always arrive late (I've even arrived past midnight) after the 2nd day of driving. I have never thought it a waste of points to arrive home at your destination that first points night. I would not want to be almost there and have to switch hotels / locations instead of hitting the parks the next day.

It depends on how may points you have. If I had the points (without borrowing) I would absolutely check in the first night. I look at our points for the year as a "budget", meaning we have what we have to use that year. One of the reasons we bought into DVC was so that our trips were "pre-paid" without having to spend extra OOP to stay in another hotel room. Although, realistically we will one get to the World once each year. If we lived closer, I might be singing a different tune. :rolleyes1

We had the same issue but are flying in late, so we just booked a room at the airport. I have the time to stay an extra night at a hotel so for our family it was worth the OOP expense and are arriving the night before our resort stay:tink:. For us it means one more whole day of Disney.

As others have said, I think it depends on how many points and whether or not having those left over are important.

If you use them, will you be short for your next trip? If so, then paying OOP makes sense. If not, then I say use them.

We are arriving at 8:00 pm at night (a Friday) to book 2 nights in a studio before moving to the 1 bedroom at BLT. I could have paid OOP, but figured that is what my points are for. I have 55 extra already (after using up these 56) so know it won't impact anything until at least my 2012 vacation. And, by then, I plan on adding on more points!!!!

I'd stay offsite, or at Pop Century with an AP discount.

If we come in late, like we did in December, I try to book a value studio at AKV and spend some of the next morning enjoying that resort. We were lucky to get a savannah view value studio. We moved into VWL the next day and had a great vacation.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. We book POP if the value isn't available, but waitlist for the studio.

We have the same issue in July. We'll be checking in around midnight on July 3/July 4. We decided we didn't want to stay offsite, especially since it's the 4th. We'll get in, unpack a bit and then get up the next am and be ready to go.
My .02

I am point challenged so I would stay offsite and wake up and head to wdw. If I had a ton of points I don't use then sure but I don't.

Sandisw about those extra 56 points we are staying in a studio for our first night at akv as we didn't have enough points.....care to upgrade us;)

I am point challenged so I would stay offsite and wake up and head to wdw. If I had a ton of points I don't use then sure but I don't.

Sandisw about those extra 56 points we are staying in a studio for our first night at akv as we didn't have enough points.....care to upgrade us;)

LOL:rotfl2: But I think if I start giving points away, there is no way my argument with DH that I must have more points is going to work!!!

This past December we checked it at 2 AM at BWV ... we like to get into our room and get settled, no matter what time we arrive. If we had stayed at the airport, we would have more "travel" ahead of us and also faced the potential of being without a room until 4 PM. If you have the points, I would get the room ..but as others have stated, if points are tight, I agree off-site might be a better alternative. We've added on 4-times to ensure we have enough points to cover weekends and late arrivals.

Travel days for us are exhausting and we don't like being without a room. We also find our WDW trips are less about the parks and more about just enjoying being in Florida and away from the cold winter ...so having a room is important to us as we don't spend hours at a time in the parks.

If we come in late, like we did in December, I try to book a value studio at AKV and spend some of the next morning enjoying that resort. We were lucky to get a savannah view value studio. We moved into VWL the next day and had a great vacation.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. We book POP if the value isn't available, but waitlist for the studio.

I agree 110% with Bobbi:thumbsup2. I'd try for the value studio at AKV and enjoy the resort the next day or book a room at a value hotel on property with the AP or DVC discount.

I am point challenged ;)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

We've done this before only we usually get in around 8 or 9pm, unless there's a pile -up or road construction like this Dec. 2-1/2hrs to go 20 miles!

We packed a separate bag for the one night at the Orlando Vista. And I bought disposable toothbrushes & comb at Dollar Tree so we didn't even need the toiletries bag. Then in the am they'll let you park at your villa & take Disney transport to the park until your check-in time.

Another thing to consider,
If you are packing a cooler- you can't check in until 4pm. We've never been lucky enough to get any earlier. So we had to ice it dine at the one night stand.

This last trip I just rented the 21 points I needed for the weekend night. It cost about a $100 more than staying offsite, but it was good to be settled in and we had a little bit of the evening left to explore the resort. Too bad the turnpike was screwed up & we missed our dinner ADR at Kouzina:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter