Should I try to see San Francisco and Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by AdamEfimoff, Jan 18, 2018.

1. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran

My sister lives in San Francisco should I just see that and ignore Los Angeles. And see the Northern California or do the whole state.
    Not Seeing San Francisco is not an option?

2. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

You leave out one, very important part;

How much time do you have?

Two weeks? You might enjoy seeing both.
    Two days? Stay in San Francisco.
    Three weeks? You might be able to see the whole state.
    Three days? You'll never see the whole state.

ExcitedMama likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran

5. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

In that case do not ignore Los Angeles if it holds any interest to you. See a bit of Northern california and then take a trip south to see a bit of Southern California.

6. ExcitedMama

ExcitedMama DIS Veteran

I can’t fathom spending 3 weeks in SF or Nor Cal alone, but then it probably depends on how much time you want to spend with your sister and whether she can travel with you. I’m from the Bay Area and still live here but I’d vote for seeing more. There’s nothing like traveling the CA coast, especially if you can enjoy it at a leisurely pace. Plan ahead for alternate routes because of closures, 101 is closed in Santa Barbara and 1 always seems to be closed in Big Sur. Monterey is beautiful, especially Pacific Grove and 17 mi drive in Pebble Beach. Big Sur is breathtaking. Hearst Castle is a great stop with wonderful little beach towns. Great beach stops around San Louis Obispo. Santa Barbara is bigger and great but might depend on how they are recovering from the mudslides in Montecito. If 101 to LA is closed then you’d definitely want to consider your options. So much to do in LA of course and then you could consider going onto San Diego.

7. oakleycat

oakleycat DIS Veteran

Yes, with three weeks do the whole coast!

8. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran

okay
    as everyone knows its been really hard
    to plan a trip to california
    its a lot of distance to cover and I have been trying to streamline everything
    but have been having problems
    and as such I believe when I feel everything is not right
    in delaying
    and this case have decided to delay for another year
    thanks for all your help

9. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

Thank you - this is helpful for us. We are debating if we can do SF and LA in one trip and if so, what to expect on the route(s) down.

10. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

The Central Coast is of course spectacular, but so is the Sierra Nevada. There's Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Also if you're thinking of redwoods, the North Coast (Humboldt, Mendocino, Del Norte Counties) has the most spectacular examples.

Toolulu22 likes this.
  11. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

I think we'd enjoy the Sierra Nevada options more, if we had to choose between the two. My husband wants to see San Francisco, we always go to baseball games in new cities (so it'll be easy to fit that in with the number of teams in SF and LA areas), we want to see Disneyland, try to get into a talk show/game show audience, and see the big trees., I don't know if we can truly do it all in two weeks (that includes travel to and from NY). I have the summer off, but hubby has to take off from work and summer is busy, so two weeks is max. We are efficient travelers, and have traveled through Utah, Wyoming and Colorado in 9 days.

12. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

If you're interested in baseball there are a several teams in Northern California. Of course the Giants and A's are the most obvious, but there's also minor league. The Sacramento River Cats (Giants) and the Fresno Grizzlies (Astros) are AAA. There are several A-ball teams like the San Jose Giants, Modesto Nuts (Mariners), and Stockton Ports (A's).

I mention the North Coast because I've frankly never been there other than maybe the upper part of Sonoma County. I've lived in California nearly all my life but haven't been up there. And these days it's somewhat known for marijuana tourism, but also for the biggest redwoods. There are redwoods further south that are still spectacular, but not quite the same. I also watch a bit of local cable TV, and for some reason I see a lot of San Diego and Humboldt County tourism ads. They don't have them online, but there's this Alice in Wonderland style ad campaign for Humboldt. This isn't the ads I see most of the time, but it's part of the series.

If you don't have the time or inclination to go up that way, there are redwoods along the central coast.

13. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose Loosing Boo Boo

Poor OP so much to choose from. OP maybe you could get more time next year. And look around the areas that everyone has recommended. I would vote for Monterey as well. I love that whole area.

14. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

There is so much to potentially do and see. Narrowing it down to our vacation timespan is overwhelming.

15. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran