Should I Reschedule My Trip For This Sun-Tues Due To Weather?

JVivlemore

Earning My Ears
As of right now there is an 80 and 90% chance of rain according to the National Weather Service for Anaheim. I live in Northern California right now and when it rains it's been an all day thing lately. I'll have my 2 year old so want to avoid long periods of rain if possible to not ruin the experience and the Meet & Greets she wants to go there for which are all outside. Anyone in Southern California have any comments on the weather? Has it been raining a lot there lately too?

We're not getting odds showing up anywhere near that high when we check (going this weekend.) I'm not too worried about it, as it looks like a minimal amount of rain. According to weather network, it's about a 40% chance of rain, so I guess we'll bring a raincoat just in case.

I'd still go. I actually think a trip that has at least one day of rain and one day of nice weather is ideal - the rain will keep crowds down, and you can hit everything that closes due to rain in one nice day.

There are lots of indoor meet and greets. The princesses at Fantasy Faire, Mickey and Minnie in their houses, Anna and Elsa... Not to mention they move characters indoors (Snow White and Pluto were meeting inside next to the Opera House lobby last Friday).

Make sure you have a rain cover for the stroller, and I like to have changes of socks (and pants for little ones) in a big ziplock. I also take a sandwich ziplock for my iPhone (still works, just won't get wet), and I carry a few extra to keep autograph books, etc. dry.

I'm here now and it's been overcast and chilly. I wouldn't do it in the rAin with a stroller. But that's just me.

The more I think about it the more I think a stroller/rain/and 2 year old without my wife helping me sounds miserable lol. I'm looking at potential Plan B date ranges now.

To Review: Original Trip Was Sun 2/26 to Tues 2/28 with the full day at the parks being Mon 2/27

If I reschedule to another similar timeline (just with different dates) what would you suggest to avoid large crowds due to spring break? Assuming weather can't be predicted.

Tues 2/28 - Thur 3/2 (Full Day in Park 3/1) *3rd Cheapest Rate*
Sun 3/5 - Tues 3/7 (Full Day in Park 3/6) *Cheapest Rate*
Mon 3/6 - Wed 3/8 (Full Day in Park 3/7) *2nd Cheapest Rate, only $2/day more than cheapest*
Mon 3/13 - Wed 3/15 (Full Day in Park 3/14) *Most Expensive Rate*

I'm pretty flexible so if anyone else has better ideas I'm all for them too. The only day I can't be there in February/March is March 9th.

Any advice from the pros who visit often around this time of year?

For me, I'd probably reschedule because a stroller in the rain just sounds like a pain to me. I'd choose the 2/28-3/2 dates 1st and the 3/6-3/8 dates 2nd. I've never been this time of year but the general consensus is the farther into March you go the more schools will be out for their Spring Break.

The problem with rescheduling is it pretty much rains about every 3 days this winter. If you are rescheduling for the summer or fall then I would do so, but if it's just a few more weeks out, I wouldn't because it will probably be raining then as well.

For me, I'd probably reschedule because a stroller in the rain just sounds like a pain to me. I'd choose the 2/28-3/2 dates 1st and the 3/6-3/8 dates 2nd. I've never been this time of year but the general consensus is the farther into March you go the more schools will be out for their Spring Break.
It's funny because I think a stroller with a cover makes being in the rain so much easier! You basically have a portable way to take dry stuff around with you and keep it dry... I find it so convenient. Sure, you can stash stuff in a locker, but then you have to get back and forth to the locker (not to mention pay for one). And my daughter loves riding around and watching the rain in her warm little cocoon.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... :-)

I agree, if you have a stroller cover, being in the rain is no problem for your child. We were there last Friday and everyone had their strollers covered, and our daughter stayed nice and dry (and warm!). She wore rain boots which helped too. We bought extra long ponchos from Amazon, which were great because they were longer than the ponchos that Disneyland sells, and covered our arms better.

However, it was cold, and our feet and the bottom half of our legs were drenched by the time we returned to our hotel. Saturday and Sunday were a light drizzle, so the ponchos and stroller cover were fine, and our feet stayed dry.

I agree a stroller with a rain cover would make being in the rain much easier but if I had the choice of going in the rain or going just a couple of days later when it's not raining I'd pick option #2.

I agree tho, kids do LOVE to be out in the rain so maybe that would make it extra special for the OP's daughter.

Thanks to everyone for the help! In the end I decided to not chance it with the rain. I was afraid Mater and Doc McStuffins who are both on her Meet & Greet list woudln't come out in the rain since they are outdoors and not inside a sheltered building for them. We rescheduled to be in the park next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It's going to be 71 on Wednesday as of right now and no rain all 3 days so well worth the increase of $15 per day at the hotel to change the dates. Thanks again! This board has been soooo helpful in planning my daughters first trip. I really appreciate it.

It's funny because I think a stroller with a cover makes being in the rain so much easier! You basically have a portable way to take dry stuff around with you and keep it dry... I find it so convenient. Sure, you can stash stuff in a locker, but then you have to get back and forth to the locker (not to mention pay for one). And my daughter loves riding around and watching the rain in her warm little cocoon.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... :-)

Honestly, this sounds like my dream. I wish someone would push me around in a covered stroller while it rained.

I prefer rainy days because it is the only way to beat the crowds these days.

Last Sunday, Feb. 19, was drizzly AND crowded. If it had been my first trip to Disney it would have been my last. I've never seen it rainy and crowded. The 5 days were still fantastic, but not the fun in the sun I'd been looking forward to coming from Alaska.

Last Sunday, Feb. 19, was drizzly AND crowded. If it had been my first trip to Disney it would have been my last. I've never seen it rainy and crowded. The 5 days were still fantastic, but not the fun in the sun I'd been looking forward to coming from Alaska.

We were the same day and I think a lot of it had to do with that none of the weather apps we checked showed any rain in Anaheim. We actually had to go back to the hotel for umbrellas and ponchos because we didn't think we'd need them.

After the two days prior, I think everyone was excited for a day without rain. Unfortunately it didn't happen and you're right, it was crowded! The day before wasn't that way at all.

We were the same day and I think a lot of it had to do with that none of the weather apps we checked showed any rain in Anaheim. We actually had to go back to the hotel for umbrellas and ponchos because we didn't think we'd need them.

After the two days prior, I think everyone was excited for a day without rain. Unfortunately it didn't happen and you're right, it was crowded! The day before wasn't that way at all.

Agreed. Neither the weather apps nor the ride apps were very accurate this week!!

This past Sunday it was drizzly most of the day (morning to around noon, maybe), and it was pretty crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter