Short Trip Report - May 1st - 3rd

Gypsybear

It's all about the Villains
I'll start this report by stating that I had originally planned to go for Star Wars After Dark. Forgot tickets went on sale until later that evening. Was only able to snag May 3rd. That said, I later added a day, so we could go to DL park....then a week before departure, I added another day, to try and snag a popcorn bucket and sipper for myself.

Day 1 - DL
So, we arrived in CA at 7am, and went directly to the parks. Didn't check in at hotel. Gates opened at approx 7:40...got in, got 2 lockers, and went on the hunt for the popcorn bucket I wanted. None to be found ANYWHERE in the park. Stopped by Star Traders, and talked to a CM about the upcoming SW event. He had plenty of useful information. Saw the new Boba Fett helmets, and told him I'd be back later for one (didn't want to carry it around the park, since I got a Genie+ for Smuggler's Run. So, off we went to Batuu. Rode Smuggler's Run. Did a few photopass pics, and kept it moving. We stopped by Dok Ondar's to look for the Dark Saber. We were in luck, so we purchased one. They told us they could hold it at the Droid Depot until 15 mins before park closing. This was great, as we knew it wouldn't fit into the lockers, and didn't want to carry it around all day. So we went to the Depot, and checked it in for hold. Since we were in the area, we stopped at Haunted Mansion. Long line. So, off we went to breakfast. We did Minnie's breakfast. The food was just ok. Nothing special here. As for the character interactions, they were SORELY lacking. We had 4 characters stop at our table. The others bypassed our part of the seating area completely, and went outside. The few standouts for us were Tigger and Pooh. Tigger had TONS of energy, and was very interactive. Pooh, literally jumped onto the banquette hubby was sitting on, and began to rub my hubby's tummy. He's a big guy, so there was plenty of tummy rubbing going on. We got a kick out of it. Back to buy the helmet. Then to the lockers. At this point (after 11), we noticed that the crowds had gotten substantially larger. And I do mean substantially. During the rest of the day, we did a LL on Rise of the Resistance; and did Haunted Mansion; and other rides, that I'm not remembering at the moment. Lunch was a Cafe Orleans. Food was not tasty. It was also cold, and they sat us outside, under one of the trees, which kept dropping leaves and nuts onto out table, despite the umbrella covering. Annoying, but not as annoying at the cold food. Portions were also small. The macaroons were VERY dry.
Dinner at Red Rose Taverne was nothing special (we tried to get Ronto Roasters, but they were actually sold out of the wraps). The AMOUNT of food, at Red Rose was more than adequate. I got the chicken tenders, and they were more than enough for 2 people to split and not feel hungry afterwards. It was hot, and decent. We got it through Mobile Ordering.

Day 2 - DCA
Had a very shortened day, as we met up with friends. They were VERY discombobulated, and didn't make good use of time. One of them was on the hunt for the MSEP merch. Started the day by getting a locker, then heading to Webslingers (LL). After Webslingers, we had a snack at Pym's Test Kitchen. Hubby wanted to try the pretzel. It was filling. Nothing of note. Friends arrived. So the hunt for merch began. We walked and walked around until, lo and behold, we found some. Back to the lockers to unload. by this time, it was close to our lunch. We had booked Lamplight Lounge. They had never been there and wanted to try it. So, after waiting a bit past our time, they finally called us in. Lunch was good, but I would really like it if they expanded the menu. From there, everywhere we went, the lines were huge. We checked the app before trekking toward them to visually confirm. We shopped some more. Still no luck on lines. Snagged the WOC queue at noon. So, we shopped some more. Got in line and waited for Little Mermaid. One of our friends apparently HAS to do it on every trip. Dinner at Carthay Circle. Wonderful as usual. Our CM was VERY nice and friendly. Dinner was great, but it was 20 mins before WOC, so we rushed out. Our friends didn't get WOC, so they waited around the entry dock to Pixar Pier. Saw the show. So glad it's back. Afterwards, met up with our friends, who met up with other friends, and we all hung around and chatted until park closed.

Day 3 - DL for After Dark event ONLY (no day tickets)
Arrived at the gates at 5:15...the lines were LOOOOOONG. The entry was slow, but steady. Posed for several pics requested in line. Made it in, and it was packed. Got a locker. Went to Star Wars Launch Bay to get the QR code for the merch queue. There were 542 people ahead of us in the queue. This area was severely bottle-necked. We waited around, until they finally let us know that we'd receive a text message letting us know we could go in. Having never been before, we didn't know the procedure. People kept us busy by asking if they could take pics with us. We met quite a few people this way. At 8:30, we got in line for Ahsoka photopass opp. She was due at 9pm. At 9:10, they told us she was running late. At 9:40, same message. They said we could continue to wait, or leave. By this time, hubby went around the corner to check the other lines. They were at no less than an hour each. So we waited. Finally, we left. This was just after 10pm. We did one of the non-character photopass spots. We checked the lines for the Jawas, and the Sandpeople again. Still too long. So, we got sodas, and walked over to Batuu. We did several photopass pics along the way, and in front of the Falcon. Our dinner at Jolly Holiday Bakery was a total miss. It was cold and soggy. We made our way back to Tomorrowland. Still no Ahsoka, and people were upset. One young lady, on the Autism scale, had a melt down, as she only wanted to see Ahsoka. I mention her condition, only to make the point that wasn't just some random person feeling entitled, etc. I felt bad for the young lady. We walked over and got in line for the Emperor and his guard, and for Vader. Turns out that every 15 mins or so, they lower the stage and switch the Emperor out for Darth Maul. So be aware, you may not get the one you want. We did our photos, and it was literally past 1am. We asked about Ahsoka....they still had no answer as to what happened. At this point, the park was closed. So we checked our locker, and left for the evening.

Impressions: Crowds were heavy. Long lines everywhere. Food during our trip was hit and miss. As for the SW event. Would we do it again? Probably not. The merch that was supposedly unique, was released on ShopDisney the next morning. They were also sold out of most tees. Also sold out of the large pin. They had the same pins we bought, on ShopDisney the next day. We were only able to buy pins, as we had no interest in the caps they had. The best part of the evening was getting pics (in our Jedi outfits), in front of the Falcon.

We were at Star Wars nite the same night as you but didn't get into the park until around 8:30. That's too bad you couldn't see Ahsoka.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the CMs hadn't kept people's hopes up. But even at the end of the night we went to go check on what happened, and the CMs still didn't know what happened. They were expecting the appearance as well. :confused3

It wouldn't have been so bad if the CMs hadn't kept people's hopes up. But even at the end of the night we went to go check on what happened, and the CMs still didn't know what happened. They were expecting the appearance as well. :confused3
We had a similar thing happen a few years ago with Aurora. Not as disappointing as Ahsoka, of course. But my dd was SO excited to see Aurora and we waited in line for an hour before they came out and said , "The fairies couldn't decide which dress she should wear so she will be delayed." Ugh.
We left and then did see her at that same spot as we passed by later that day. It was nice they told us eventually that she wasn't coming, but you would think they'd know way ahead of time that a character isn't available, especially on a special event nite and with someone as rare as Ahsoka.

I hope the rest of your evening went better. Those fireworks were wonderful :)

We had a similar thing happen a few years ago with Aurora. Not as disappointing as Ahsoka, of course. But my dd was SO excited to see Aurora and we waited in line for an hour before they came out and said , "The fairies couldn't decide which dress she should wear so she will be delayed." Ugh.
We left and then did see her at that same spot as we passed by later that day. It was nice they told us eventually that she wasn't coming, but you would think they'd know way ahead of time that a character isn't available, especially on a special event nite and with someone as rare as Ahsoka.

I hope the rest of your evening went better. Those fireworks were wonderful :)

We did enjoy the fireworks....and we saw the First Order March as well. We saw the gathering around the hub of all the Jedi. As mentioned, we salvaged it, but it wasn't easy. Lessons learned. Now to plan for OBB (if they ever get around to releasing the dates, etc.)....I'm assuming they're waiting for the calendar to make those dates available, before they release the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter