Shops open while in port

88golf88

DisneyKid@27
We were on the Fantasy last week when they kept us in Nassau until after 11:00p...but they still opened the shops on board at normal times (I think 5:45p). I thought the shops couldn’t be open while you were in port? Anyone know why/they can make certain exceptions?? I mean it definitely would have saved me money if they had stayed closed lol!!!

ryankski

Mouseketeer
I thought it was to avoid paying taxes to what ever country they are docked at or whose water they are in. If that is the case then Disney just probably took the loss and paid the taxes on anything that was sold as to not interrupt the cruise more. That's my best guess anyway.

PrincessShmoo

DIS veteran
We were on the Fantasy last week when they kept us in Nassau until after 11:00p...but they still opened the shops on board at normal times (I think 5:45p). I thought the shops couldn’t be open while you were in port? Anyone know why/they can make certain exceptions?? I mean it definitely would have saved me money if they had stayed closed lol!!!
Just as a guess, I'm going to say that they opened the shops at the time that the ship was SUPPOSED to be at sea. Legally, I'm thinking, since everyone was onboard, and unable to get off at that point, they could open the shops.

Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Quellman

Donald Duck
Just as a guess, I'm going to say that they opened the shops at the time that the ship was SUPPOSED to be at sea. Legally, I'm thinking, since everyone was onboard, and unable to get off at that point, they could open the shops.
I had the same thought that if everyone was onboard, they considered it ship at sea.

88golf88

DisneyKid@27

Of course, I could be totally wrong.
They extended all aboard until 8:00pm that night (granted, this happened last minute the night before). So there were still people off the ship for at least 2 hours while the shops were opened.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!

CASTAWAY CAY PHOTOS

DECK PLANS

STATEROOMS

ITINERARIES