Shipwreck cove/buck island- st thomas advice

Mtinkerbell5189

Mouseketeer
I have booked this shore excursion with the catamaran ride and snorkel at shipwreck cove as I do not think I want to be on an excursion the whole day. The two adults going are very athletic but no snorkeling experience, so not much to compare to. it was a good price at $50 and it only goes till 10:45 which will give us time to go back and have lunch on the ship (I hope) and then possibly go off and shop a little bit. I like not having an excursion the whole day and 7:15 was the only offered time. Is the port close to stuff to do on our own after the excursion?

Has anyone done this excursion before? Is it worth it? Is the snorkeling good for a first time? Any feedback would be great.

I beleive my wife and I did just that catamaran in the morning!....great price!

The *CASTAWAY GIRL*, the boat was ok and the crew was great..lots of fun!

As for 1st timers, no problem, the crew was great on instruction for 1st timers, the the bay also perfect for a newbe !

The cat ties up right next to the port bow of the Fantasy and I would do the morning, go back on the Fantasy for a fast shower then a walking shopping trip or take a cab to the larger shopping a few miles away. The ski lift to the top of the hill for photos is right across the street form the dock we were at.

Have a great cruise!:thumbsup2

AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
I beleive my wife and I did just that catamaran in the morning!....great price!

The *CASTAWAY GIRL*, the boat was ok and the crew was great..lots of fun!

As for 1st timers, no problem, the crew was great on instruction for 1st timers, the the bay also perfect for a newbe !

The cat ties up right next to the port bow of the Fantasy and I would do the morning, go back on the Fantasy for a fast shower then a walking shopping trip or take a cab to the larger shopping a few miles away. The ski lift to the top of the hill for photos is right across the street form the dock we were at.

Have a great cruise!:thumbsup2

AKK

Thanks so much! So although short you did feel like it was a good excursion? I heard they have the rum punch and snacks flowing on the way back. It is nice you said it is very close to the fantasy in port. Was it crowded?

Thanks so much! So although short you did feel like it was a good excursion? I heard they have the rum punch and snacks flowing on the way back. It is nice you said it is very close to the fantasy in port. Was it crowded?

It was enough time for us, we wanted the snorkel time and time to go and see some shops. My wife promised to try, and she did try it, but was not for her....... she enjoyed just swimming around.

We were going to take the ski lift to the top of the hill to take photos of the Fantasy and harbor, but is was expensive ($23.00 a head) and a long line.

LOL...yes there was rum punch on the return sail....non before the swim though, for the obvious reasons!

The boat was full, I think 48, but not overly cowded, we sat on the fore deck enjoying the breeze and sun. If you look back that the photos, the foredeck has a stairway they lowered into the water, so you put on your gear and either walked into the water or jump into the water from the foredeck.

When we were there, we did not see any turtles but lots of colorful fish. The crew said the turtles can be there 1 day and not the next. The wreck is down about 25 feet, its a old rum runner 50' or so, from probition days that the USCG sank in a chase.

I got a waterproof camera from Wal mart or K mart. It was about $15.00 and gave you 28 photos. You take the camera to a local photo shop. They will develop the film and you can either have the photos printed or put on a CD disk! The fish were alittle more colorfull then the photos showed, but we got good photos of us in the water, etc.

Overall, well worth the price and if you want to spend more I am sure you could find a fancier one! However Castway Girl was fine for us.

Have a great cruise. AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
It was enough time for us, we wanted the snorkel time and time to go and see some shops. My wife promised to try, and she did try it, but was not for her....... she enjoyed just swimming around.

We were going to take the ski lift to the top of the hill to take photos of the Fantasy and harbor, but is was expensive ($23.00 a head) and a long line.

LOL...yes there was rum punch on the return sail....non before the swim though, for the obvious reasons!

The boat was full, I think 48, but not overly cowded, we sat on the fore deck enjoying the breeze and sun. If you look back that the photos, the foredeck has a stairway they lowered into the water, so you put on your gear and either walked into the water or jump into the water from the foredeck.

When we were there, we did not see any turtles but lots of colorful fish. The crew said the turtles can be there 1 day and not the next. The wreck is down about 25 feet, its a old rum runner 50' or so, from probition days that the USCG sank in a chase.

I got a waterproof camera from Wal mart or K mart. It was about $15.00 and gave you 28 photos. You take the camera to a local photo shop. They will develop the film and you can either have the photos printed or put on a CD disk! The fish were alittle more colorfull then the photos showed, but we got good photos of us in the water, etc.

Overall, well worth the price and if you want to spend more I am sure you could find a fancier one! However Castway Girl was fine for us.

Have a great cruise. AKK

Great! One more question, should I not bring my nice camera to leave on the ship. I was going to just to take scenery pictures and then get an underwater one for snorkeling. I am just worried about the other one accidentally getting soaked. Is there a place on the ship to keep a bag of stuff like cameras clothing etc relatively dry?

Hi again!

There really were not any lockers or space to put a good camera. We had a little point and shoot, it takes good photos, cost about $150.00 and we have had it awhile so I was not to worried about it disappearing or getting wet. We just left it in our bagoon the foredeck, with the other stuff!

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter