She's A Disney Adult and Feeling Artsy, a February 2020 Trip Report (Updated 6/15)

Hi Melissa, Hi Paul,

I’m normally just a lurker but I have read every single one of your trips reports. They bring me so much joy. The way that the two of you write them together is adorable. I started reading them because Marshall was little and I wanted to hear how difficult it was to bring a toddler to the parks. I kept reading them because of the excellent photography and retelling of your trips.

Seeing your friendship with Jon and Brandy is so special. That is truly unique to have friends that you can consistently travel with. Not to mention the added benefit of having extra people on hand to help with kids. Also Melissa, you are a gifted seamstress. I hope In a couple of years, when we take my now 14 month old, that she is as nicely kitted out as Allie was at that age.

Thank you for continuing to post and share during this trying time. I read this entire thread over the course of two days. It brought me so much joy. I know there are other lurkers out there who feel the same way.

Hi! Thanks for dropping us such a sweet note! We love reliving our trips and find that writing the trip reports is a great way to remember the trips and keep records of the kids growing and dang they grow fast!

It is also a lot of fun to re-live the trips, both as we write them and then again later when we go back and re-read them. It is neat that you mentioned sewing, since Melissa did some sewing this weekend.

Yeah, I busted out the sewing machine, Paul got me a new one for Christmas in 2014 and I really haven't done much sewing since then, it's been in the closet since Marshall was born. With the new CDC recommendations for mask wearing we decided we needed some masks. Good thing I hoard sewing supplies.

They turned out super cute. I got one with Lightning McQueen and Mickey Fabric. Marshall and Allie got kids sized ones too.
photo_2020-04-12_22-00-48.jpgphoto_2020-04-12_22-00-43.jpgphoto_2020-04-12_22-00-36.jpg

Mine isn't Disney but it's cute and comfy. It makes me sad seeing the kids in masks but hopefully it's not a forever thing.

And if we do have to wear them at Disney, at least we will have cool ones!

This is true! Jon and Brandy are amazing. We love em like family and you're right, extra hands help tons with kids.

I still can't believe that they enjoy hanging out with us, but they do and we are all looking forward to a trip next January.

Thanks again for the nice post, and for following along.

Finally was able to catch up. On this Tuesday, it was our last day and our only attempt at Rise. You are right. The crowds were quite large. We did get on Rise, but barely! Literally ran out of the park to catch Magical Express at 7:00 PM.

I really like your 2 person approach to your trip reports :). Have been enjoying reading. Really nice you all got to go before everything closed. Love your Disney wall, it is beautiful!
Thanks, we both wanted to participate, and share in discussing the trip, so this is what we came up with and it has worked well for us. We're always excited when other people enjoy it too.
We are super happy with the Disney wall, and it is great to be able to see it all day long while I work at the dining room table.

Finally was able to catch up. On this Tuesday, it was our last day and our only attempt at Rise. You are right. The crowds were quite large. We did get on Rise, but barely! Literally ran out of the park to catch Magical Express at 7:00 PM.
Yay, it is cool that you were able to match the days with what you were doing at the same time. That is crazy that you had to run after RIse to catch DME. That is stressful, but I'm glad it worked out.

When we left off, we had just arrived for lunch at Sanaa. We checked in right on time at 1:05, and were seated at 1:07.

We ordered the bread service because apparently that's why you go to Sanaa.

It was fun to try the Indian food after having been there for the first time in December. The flavors seemed to be very much like what I had in India. Because of this, I decided to go with something I couldn't get in India and ordered a cheeseburger.

He was kinda over Indian food but I was excited to try the butter chicken. It was really really good.

Brandy enjoyed his meal, and said that it was way outside his comfort zone, but really really good.

We ordered dessert and picked a variety of things. I got the butterscotch pudding. I love butterscotch pudding.

I had a worms and dirt pudding that I really enjoyed.

We also enjoyed seeing the animals out the windows.

We had a zebra come by a couple times, it was really neat. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and for sure get the bread service.

It was a very enjoyable meal and a new experience for us. While the location is remote, it is definitely worth the trip.

After Sanaa we decided to walk around Kidani to see what it was like. We knew it had long hallways with the lobby in the middle, so we headed down the hall towards Jambo. Those are some long hallways, but at least they are broken up with nice views of animals.

Insanely long hallways, I think I'd get lost or distracted by the animals out the windows. Even with the marathon length hallway I still would stay here.

We made it all the way to the end, then went back and too the Zazu elevator down to the parking garage. From there it was a relatively short walk out and over to Jambo house, where we got to check out the big lobby. If we stayed there it would be cool to be on this half of Kidani, then we could walk to either lobby, but we would only be able to make a request for it.

This was actually a really cool shortcut to Jambo house. It wasn't far at all and the hallways are air conditioned.

We checked out the large gift shop and the lobby, and saw that they were refurbishing some of the rooms nearest the lobby. As we were getting ready to go we met Wendy, a manager Cast Member who took time out to play with the kids. It was really neat.

He was on the floor doing pushups with Marshall, he really took getting on the kids level to the max.

They were testing the fire alarm while we were there, I had flashbacks to the time we were stranded in the courtyard for 2 hours.

Lol that was true, what an adventure that was. Fortunately we ever free to go when we wanted, and we got to the bus stop at 3:42.

The sign showed 3:58 for the next AK bus. It arrived, and we made it to the park at 4:04, and we made it through security and in the gate by 4:14.

We were so excited to be there for Moonlight Magic!

This was our first Monlight Magic event in Florida, but we have been fortunate enough to do one at home in CA.

We got really lucky that they happened to be having this event while we were there, and that we were able to get tickets.

Our first stop once we got in the park was Dinoland, where Jon bought $30 of Carnival tickets.

Everyone had fun playing, and the kids got some more stuffed animals.

Marshall still loves his Pteradactyl that he won. On the way into Dinoland Brandy and I decided we needed icecream.

It was totally worth the line and Jon discovered you can ask for a sample of beer to try it before you buy a whole glass.

Next Jon, Allie, and I headed over to Expedition Everest since we had fast passes. She enjoyed her second ride on it, and then we headed over to meet back up with Melissa, Brandy, and Marshall.

Brandy, Marsh, and I headed over to the Dig Site so Marsh could blow off some steam. We parked ourselves on a bench and watched him dig out that mammoth that still has not been uncovered. Those kids need to get it together.

You gotta watch where you sit there, my butt got REALLY wet. I have not idea how I did not notice this until I stood up.

The Dig site is an awesome play area, and Marshall really enjoys it.

From there we headed over to check out the Tiger Trail, but unfortunately were a little too late and it was already closed.

It was a bummer we missed it but it set us up well to do a sunset safari ride. I don't think we could have timed it more perfect if we tried.

That was a really nice trip, and the wait was fairly short. It is always neat to see the animals at different times of day.

and the sunset was spectacular that night.

Then we picked up some Cokes and a popcorn bucket refill on our way back to the island. For some reason this was some of the best popcorn ever. Nice and hot and super yummy, it hit the spot.

It was probably the best popcorn refill of the trip. I really enjoyed getting popcorn this trip. I think because the weather was cooler it made for a great snack and kept the hangry away.

We then went and picked up our event tickets and meal vouchers.

The line was short, and we were excited to see that we got free carnival games along with a free dinner and ice cream. It was going to be fun.

Free icecream always makes me happy. We had a fastpass for Rivers of Light so we headed over to Pandora. We had a little time to kill before our time opened up and Allie convinced us she needed to have her face painted.

We had avoided doing face point so far this trip, so we figured she was due. It was also cool that they had special glowing paint that was unique to Pandora. She loved it, and had a couple of really enthusiastic cast members who did a nice job.

They were sweet and the glow in the dark paint was pretty cool.

We got to ride Navi River Journey, which is a nice ride, and since we had two AK days we didn't have to give up Flights of Passage for it.

Once we got off of it the park was closed for regular guests, but Moonlight Magic was just getting started.

We decided Flame Tree was going to be dinner.

Marshall was asleep so we had an extra dinner entree. I decided to use it on pulled pork cheese fries, it wasn't the best use of the extra dinner but they were my favorite fries.

We always enjoy Flame Tree, and this time getting over $120 of food there for free was super nice. We had no problem getting a table and enjoyed our meal from just after 8:00 until almost 9. We could see some of the water show, and got to sit and relax in the quiet.

It reminded me of the night we bought DVC and then went to AK and Flame Tree.

It was nice to sit and chat and watch Rivers of Light.

After that we went to use our free carnival passes. When we got there we saw that Primeval Whirl was open, so Melissa, Allie, Jon, and Brandy rode it while I waited with Marshall. It was neat that they got to get on a ride that tends to be closed most of the time.

It was INTENSE. It reminds me of Goofy's Sky School but the thing spins. We laughed the entire time but then decided we probably never needed to ride it again.

It was a fun ride but maybe not a good idea right after dinner.

I decided I didn't need to ride it, but we all had fun playing the carnival games, which resulted in more stuffed animals. They were giving away the larger size ones than they did during the day, which was cool.

The lines for the games were a lot longer too but I think everyone got to play the games they wanted to.

After that we decided to do a first for Jon and Brandy and ride Dinosaur. This ride isn't Melissa's favorite, and she won't ride it, so she was glad to wait with Marshall while the rest of us rode it. Allie chose to sit it out too, but the three of us walked right on Dinosaur and enjoyed it.

The ride is terrifying. Allie and I just hung out in the dump shop. She shopped a bit but there wasn't anything we needed.

After we met back up we were pretty tired, so we decided to not head for Everest but instead went and got ice cream at Starbucks. Allie decided this was a good trade, and we all got Mickey Bars.

As we ate the ice cream Allie wanted to go back to Pandora to get a light up sprite toy, so we headed that way while Melissa, Jon, and Brandy went to the main gift shop. I questioned whether she really needed it at the time, but it was what she wanted to spend the rest of her gift card money on and she still has it hanging from her bed and it still works, so I guess it was $13 well spent.

Brandy and Jon were tired so I sent them on their way and hung out with a sleeping Marsh while I waited for Paul and Allie to meet back up.

They had a couple unique merchandise things, a tshirt and a Jenga game. I was tempted by the Jenga game but resisted. We already have a Jenga game at home and luggage weight was a concern especially with the droids.

I decided I didn't need anything else, and we headed for the buses. We left the park at 10:53, and got to the bus stop at 10:58 as one pulled up. It left at 11:02 and got to WL at 11:17.

We didn't quite make it to Midnight but we had a great time. It was a really fun night and unique to see the park after dark. Another cool thing they did was loop the projection show on the tree.

The kids were done, and we took them right to the room and put them to bed. Then we checked some e-mails and were in bed by midnight. It was another fun and unique day.

Yeah, I busted out the sewing machine, Paul got me a new one for Christmas in 2014 and I really haven't done much sewing since then, it's been in the closet since Marshall was born. With the new CDC recommendations for mask wearing we decided we needed some masks. Good thing I hoard sewing supplies.
My goal today is to break out the sewing machine, pull out the box of old quilt fabric, find my cutting board and cutting wheel, and make a few masks for DH and our son. I found a package of 1/4 inch elastic, so now I don't have a reason to procrastinate any longer. My sister made a mask for me and that is what I have been wearing to go to the grocery store. But I could use another one. Almost everyone around here wears a face mask in the stores. You almost feel like a criminal if you don't have one.
It was fun to try the Indian food after having been there for the first time in December. The flavors seemed to be very much like what I had in India. Because of this, I decided to go with something I couldn't get in India and ordered a cheeseburger.
My sister and her husband lived in Singapore for a few years and he ate lunch at Burger King every day. I am a little afraid of Indian food and probably shouldn't be. The butter chicken sounds good.
After Sanaa we decided to walk around Kidani to see what it was like. We knew it had long hallways with the lobby in the middle, so we headed down the hall towards Jambo. Those are some long hallways, but at least they are broken up with nice views of animals.
The first time we went to AKL we got off at the Kidani stop by mistake. We took the boring outside sidewalk back to Jambo house. The interior hallways sound more interesting. :)
As we were getting ready to go we met Wendy, a manager Cast Member who took time out to play with the kids. It was really neat.
I am impressed with how many activities they have at AKL. The CMs all seem really nice, too.
On the way into Dinoland Brandy and I decided we needed icecream.
That ice cream cone looks delicious. There aren't enough places to get ice cream cones in WDW. I'll have to check this one out.
and the sunset was spectacular that night.
I love how AK looks at sunset and when it is dark out. It has an eerie beauty. It feels like I am in another land.
It was probably the best popcorn refill of the trip. I really enjoyed getting popcorn this trip. I think because the weather was cooler it made for a great snack and kept the hangry away.
Those popcorn buckets were one of Disney's best ideas. Popcorn is a great snack, especially for kids.
We had avoided doing face point so far this trip, so we figured she was due. It was also cool that they had special glowing paint that was unique to Pandora. She loved it, and had a couple of really enthusiastic cast members who did a nice job.
They did a great job with the face paint. Allie must have been very happy with it. :)
we all had fun playing the carnival games, which resulted in more stuffed animals. They were giving away the larger size ones than they did during the day, which was cool.
How did you manage to carry all those prizes?
This ride isn't Melissa's favorite, and she won't ride it, so she was glad to wait with Marshall while the rest of us rode it.
I don't like Dinosaur, either. The dark parts feel claustrophobic to me.
We didn't quite make it to Midnight but we had a great time. It was a really fun night and unique to see the park after dark. Another cool thing they did was loop the projection show on the tree.
It sounds like a fun evening. Would you do it again if you had a chance?

I had fallen behind, so trying to catch up on all my reading!

Looks like you had a nice “lazy” Tuesday morning. I still haven’t ever taken boat transport at WDW, so I really gotta get on that next trip. I love that you guys make note of the types of boats, so when I finally do ride them I'll feel like an expert!

Funny enough… I think I know the guy in the red hat in your people mover pictures. Like… it really looks like a guy a know and he may have been in Orlando at the same time as you guys for a work thing. He manages a ventilator and oxygen concentrator repair shop, a super essential job these days.

Sanaa is definitely on my list for my sisters trip that I have plans for rolling around in my head. That bread service looks sooooo good.

Your Moonlight Magic event looks like it was wonderful! I don’t know if I’ll ever end up with DVC, but those events seem like a great perk I you can make it work. And the glowing face paint is cool enough I would consider getting some myself…

Hi everybody, we hope you are all managing to do well, and surviving these crazy times. We have been wrapped up in remodeling our only bathroom in our house, so that has been taking up most of our spare time, but we will go through pictures and post about our next trip day soon. It was a good one, and started with an early tour at Epcot. At home the bathroom is coming along very nicely, and we did add a rain shower in the ceiling based totally on our experience with the ones at Copper Creek. It will be another way of bringing a bit of DIsney into our house. Now we just gotta finish tiling the wall...

My goal today is to break out the sewing machine, pull out the box of old quilt fabric, find my cutting board and cutting wheel, and make a few masks for DH and our son. I found a package of 1/4 inch elastic, so now I don't have a reason to procrastinate any longer. My sister made a mask for me and that is what I have been wearing to go to the grocery store. But I could use another one. Almost everyone around here wears a face mask in the stores. You almost feel like a criminal if you don't have one.

Hopefully the mask sewing was a success. Here they are required in public by the health department, although the police have said they won't be writing tickets for lack of masks. Our stores have signs that masks are required to enter, so we go with it. I really like that mine have Lightning McQueen on them.

My sister and her husband lived in Singapore for a few years and he ate lunch at Burger King every day. I am a little afraid of Indian food and probably shouldn't be. The butter chicken sounds good.
I actually ate a lot of the local food in India and found it to be quite good. I'd say it is more flovorful than spicy, but there is a lot of similarity in the flavors and they are different than we are used to. I did miss my cheeseburgers after a few days though.

The first time we went to AKL we got off at the Kidani stop by mistake. We took the boring outside sidewalk back to Jambo house. The interior hallways sound more interesting. :)
I am impressed with how many activities they have at AKL. The CMs all seem really nice, too.
We enjoy exploring both parts of AKL, and this was the first time we walked between them inside for most of the way. The rest of the walk is through the parking lot, but at least we were inside for most of it. The CMs there really do seem to go above and beyond, and it really feels like you are somewhere else.

That ice cream cone looks delicious. There aren't enough places to get ice cream cones in WDW. I'll have to check this one out.
We agree! The big ice cream shops int he parks get so crowded, and it is nice to find ice cream cones at smaller booths. This one was really good, and we enjoyed the ones from the booth by Tower of Terror earlier in the trip.

I love how AK looks at sunset and when it is dark out. It has an eerie beauty. It feels like I am in another land.
It really does emphasize the beauty of nature. On a related topic, we have been following some of Joe Rohde's instagram posts about hidden details in AK. He did some amazing things there to make it special.

Those popcorn buckets were one of Disney's best ideas. Popcorn is a great snack, especially for kids.
We love popcorn at DIsneyland, but often didn't get it when it was hot in September. We really enjoyed it more with the cooler weather in February.

They did a great job with the face paint. Allie must have been very happy with it. :)
She loved it. I questioned doing it so late in the day, but it was fun and special.

How did you manage to carry all those prizes?
The backpack was getting pretty full, and we had to think about getting them home too. Fortunately most of the prizes were pretty small.

I don't like Dinosaur, either. The dark parts feel claustrophobic to me.
Interestingly enough Melissa doesn't like Indiana Jones either, so I think it has something to do with the ride mechanism.

It sounds like a fun evening. Would you do it again if you had a chance?
Absolutely. It had a neat feel to it, and free Disney food is something I'll sign up for any time.

I had fallen behind, so trying to catch up on all my reading!
That's ok, it is nice to take a break from everything and read about Disney when you get a chance.

Looks like you had a nice “lazy” Tuesday morning. I still haven’t ever taken boat transport at WDW, so I really gotta get on that next trip. I love that you guys make note of the types of boats, so when I finally do ride them I'll feel like an expert!
Wow, yes you have to ride the boats at WDW. There are so many different kinds and they are a fun way to go different places. I think we rode 7 different types of boats in this trip.

Funny enough… I think I know the guy in the red hat in your people mover pictures. Like… it really looks like a guy a know and he may have been in Orlando at the same time as you guys for a work thing. He manages a ventilator and oxygen concentrator repair shop, a super essential job these days.
I have wondered if some thing like that would happen. With all the random people in the backgrounds of pictures I've been waiting for someone to see themselves or someone they know.

Sanaa is definitely on my list for my sisters trip that I have plans for rolling around in my head. That bread service looks sooooo good.
It was great, and the whole restaurant was really nice. They had something for everybody, and a great view.

Your Moonlight Magic event looks like it was wonderful! I don’t know if I’ll ever end up with DVC, but those events seem like a great perk I you can make it work. And the glowing face paint is cool enough I would consider getting some myself…
Yeah, the extra events are a nice perk of DVC, but they are surprisingly popular and hard to get into. That is one surprise I've had about DVC, the special events are super popular and harder to get into than I thought. The accomodations are awesome though, and we love knowing that we'll be back to WDW. The glowing face paint was neat, and it would be cool if they offered a family discount...

Absolutely love your TRs, think I have read most of them. Lovely WDW travelling group you have. Have enjoyed seeing the Disney stuff you have at home, I have a Larry Dotson on my wall too (MK train station) but nothing like your collection, something to aspire to !

Marshall was 9 months old on his first trip, and we had a great time (and it was a fun report too). When we really started following reports our favorite ones were from couples without kids. We were glad to still be able to do the "adult" stuff like shopping and finding snacks while Allie slept during her early trips.

Thank! I went back to that one and started on another! You guys seem to have a really good flow to your days to balance seeing what you want to see and not running the kids so ragged everyone is miserable. I’d initially planned off days, but just added a couple days to our tickets because I feel like going to a park every day for shorter lengths would probably be preferable.

We were supposed to be heading down in a couple weeks but obviously that’s off. We rescheduled with the new free dining promo they were offering affected travelers and upgraded from Coronado to AKL. Then the other day we decided to add a day onto the front end of the trip and noticed WL had dropped to about $15 cheaper per night, which isn’t a big savings enough to justify the switch on its own, but it was enough to get the gears moving and once your brain settles on “she’ll be 20 months when we go and it’s sooooo close to MK...” you don’t just come back from that. 😂

So we’re freshly rebooked for a standard room at WL for September. I may have to come back and pick your brain for room requests and any other must-knows I haven’t already picked up in your reports. 😁

Absolutely love your TRs, think I have read most of them. Lovely WDW travelling group you have. Have enjoyed seeing the Disney stuff you have at home, I have a Larry Dotson on my wall too (MK train station) but nothing like your collection, something to aspire to !

Aww, thank you so much! We do love our DIsney stuff, and have a great time sharing it. We will have another update for this one soon. The MK train station Dotson is neat. There are so many that we'd love to have...

Thank! I went back to that one and started on another! You guys seem to have a really good flow to your days to balance seeing what you want to see and not running the kids so ragged everyone is miserable. I’d initially planned off days, but just added a couple days to our tickets because I feel like going to a park every day for shorter lengths would probably be preferable.

We were supposed to be heading down in a couple weeks but obviously that’s off. We rescheduled with the new free dining promo they were offering affected travelers and upgraded from Coronado to AKL. Then the other day we decided to add a day onto the front end of the trip and noticed WL had dropped to about $15 cheaper per night, which isn’t a big savings enough to justify the switch on its own, but it was enough to get the gears moving and once your brain settles on “she’ll be 20 months when we go and it’s sooooo close to MK...” you don’t just come back from that. 😂

So we’re freshly rebooked for a standard room at WL for September. I may have to come back and pick your brain for room requests and any other must-knows I haven’t already picked up in your reports. 😁

That is a bummer about havigng to delay your trip, but it is great that it keeps getting better! WL should be great. There is a great FAQ thread for WL here, but we would be more than happy to answer any questions you have by posting here. I truly think WL is my favorite place on earth, and I just love being there and exploring the resort. Our main request is "high floor" which we prefer anywhere at WL. If you booked a Standard View room you can have a great location. The higher floors give you a better chance at a MK view if you are on the Woods / Standard view side of the WL wing, or a better lake view and less pool noise if you have a Courtyard View room. The top floor of any section of the resort (6th or 7th) has enclosed balcony railing, which some people don't like because you can't see through it sitting down, but others feel it is more secure with kids. We don't mind either way. We also really enjoy rooms that open to the lobby, since the view from the open hallway is spectacular. The down side of these is there is more noise, particularly from WCC in the lobby, so some prefer to be further down the hallway. As you know, the boat to MK is such a nice option since it is a fun peaceful ride, but the buses are great, and the bus to / from MK is consistently the quickest we've ever ridden at WDW, frequently taking right at 5 minutes.
We do like having more relaxed plans, and not trying to rush to cram everything in. We tend to schedule one ADR a day, and a few Fastpasses if they make sense, but we definitely don't wan tot be over scheduled. We do tend to not have completely park free days, even if we leave a day completely unplanned during a trip. We often use those free days to catch up on whatever park we feel we hadn't gotten enough of on that particular trip, but also enjoy checking out resort stuff, especially over at Fort Wilderness (which is also right next door when you are at WL.)
Have a great time planning your September trip, and we be looking forward to hearing about how the planning goes.

On Wednesday, I got up early at 5:15, then went out about 5:40. I got some early shots around the resort and got to Roaring Fork before it opened.

Once it did open, I still had to wait a bit for the coke machine.

I sat there and posted on the WL thread, then took the elevator up to the 5th floor and got the view of the castle from the windows at the bend in the hallway.

Then I went across by the lobby to take a few more pictures.

I made it back down to the room by 6:30.

I met Jon and Brandy and we left the room at 6:58. We had our long awaited appointment for the DVC member tour of Soarin at Epcot. We had been trying to get this, and it required calling at the first possible opportunity at 180 days from the start of our trip. They only do these tours on Wednesday mornings, and they fill up super fast.

I got up with the kids not long after they left, I fed the kids some snacks for breakfast and then we headed for the bus. Our timing was perfect and we got into the park right at rope drop. Managing the two kids myself is much easier now that they're bigger. I had flashbacks to the double stroller with Marshall before he could walk getting on the boat at the Magic Kingdom but it was nothing like that. They're pretty easy to travel with now.

As we got to the bus stop there was a big crowd for HS. Their bus came at 7:06, and ours showed up at 7:12.

We were the only people on the bus when it left at 7:13. FW was next at 7:22, where we waited a few minutes before heading to Epcot. We got to Epcot at 7:37. The Security checkpoints were still closed, and they had super long lines. We made it through there at 7:50, only to find that the park access line was really long as well. We were getting concerned about making it to our tour reservation, but everyone was in the same situation. They handled the line pretty quickly, and we were in the park by 7:57. We got our badges by Guest Relations at 8:02.

There the CM told us that they usually start earlier but there was a delay in getting the park clear to open today, so everyone had to wait.

We headed to Electric Umbrella where we would meet the rest of our group at 8:10. We then met our guide Courtney, who is the daughter of a DVC family from Texas who participated in the college program and then came back to work full time. She had also led Jon and Brandy's Keys to the Kingdom tour in September.

The tour began with her talking about Walt Disney's storytelling. We each had wireless headphones that we wore so we could hear her speech. We walked past the construction headed towards the Land, and saw lots of construction supervisor guys walking around and obvious building demolition.

Instead of going towards the front entrance of The Land we turned towards Figment. We went backstage next to Figment, and that's where they told us not to take any pictures.

We saw that the building looks just like the one at California Adventure, but is mostly hidden from view and is painted "blend in blue". We went in to the building on the ground level right next to the entrance to the ride queue, and then got in line and rode the line like normal, but with her adding extra comments over the headphones. At the end of the ride we got to take some pictures as we walked out, which was neat.

You could see a lot of the ride mechanism. Overall it was a very nice little tour, but we all expected more behind the scenes stuff in the ride itself, but it makes sense that we were not able to see as much of it as we had hoped.

It was well worth the cost though, which was just having to get up early and make the reservation 180 days earlier.

We knew the boys were going to be finishing up the Soarin Tour at the Land pavilion so we headed that way. We decided to ride Living with the Land while they were finishing up the tour.

We met Melissa at Sunshine Seasons where we grabbed breakfast. I enjoyed that they had cheese Danish, which they didn't have at Roaring Fork. We also got a cute cupcake for Festival of the Arts.

After breakfast, we rode Soarin all together, then rode Living With The Land again. The wait time showed 30 minutes, but it wasn't quite that bad.

It took some convincing to get Allie on Soarin, I don't know what freaks her out about this ride now but she chose to ride it instead of sitting out by herself.

The crazy thing is she used to love it, but hasn't like it since they changed it from Soarin Over California.

From the growing crowd for Living with the Land we knew it was going to be a busy day at the park.

We headed out of The Land and I got a nice monorail shot. I have this same view from a few years ago as one of my desktop images, and I just love it.

We got some flavored popcorn on our way to Figment.

We got a mix of all three flavors, we had some mixed reviews.

It was one of those Disney food things we had to try, but isn't a must repeat. The flavors were pretty intense, but I don't think any of us liked any of them more than regular butter popcorn.

No, I think fresh butter popcorn beats all the flavors in my opinion.

We had a Fastpass for Figment, which saved us from a 30 minute line.

After the ride we continued our DVC day by heading up to the DVC member lounge.

It was pretty quiet in the lounge and we were able to get nice seats right away and chill for a bit.

We saw that they added some neat electronic games since we were last there, and they still had the free Freestyle drink machine. We also got snacks just a few minutes after we arrived.

We spent about 25 minutes there before heading down and towards World Showcase. We checked out some Festival of the Arts booths on the way, and had planned on walking counter-clockwise through Canada and the UK, but instead decided to take a friendship boat across, which was another first for us.

We were working on not being late to Teppan Edo this time. We've never been on time to Teppan Edo.

It is just so far to get across World Showcase, and we always try to squeeze too much in before lunch.

We had to wait a little bit for a boat, and loading it wasn't fast, so I began questioning our decision, but it was a nice ride and did save us from a lot of walking. We arrived at the Japan pavilion and checked in at 1:01, almost on time for our 1:00 reservation.

Read about our excellent lunch (and my beloved Filet) in our next update...

I sat there and posted on the WL thread, then took the elevator up to the 5th floor and got the view of the castle from the windows at the bend in the hallway.
This is a good picture of the castle. You can tell that the fireworks view is amazing from this window. :)
You could see a lot of the ride mechanism.
There is a lot of heavy duty machinery up there! Was the tour mainly about how the ride worked? Did they talk about the pictures they used and how they filmed it?
We had a Fastpass for Figment, which saved us from a 30 minute line.
This ride is usually a walk on. It must have been crowded that day.
We saw that they added some neat electronic games since we were last there, and they still had the free Freestyle drink machine. We also got snacks just a few minutes after we arrived.
The lounge looks great. Too bad you have to be a DVC member to enjoy it. :)
It is just so far to get across World Showcase, and we always try to squeeze too much in before lunch.
We usually underestimate how long it takes us to get to a specific place in the world showcase. Getting from the BC to the American Pavilion always takes longer than expected.

This is a good picture of the castle. You can tell that the fireworks view is amazing from this window. :)
Yes, it is a great place. Our favorite room view was from just down the hall. There's just something neat about seeing the castle, especially with fireworks.

There is a lot of heavy duty machinery up there! Was the tour mainly about how the ride worked? Did they talk about the pictures they used and how they filmed it?
The tour was advertised as a behind the scenes tour of SOarin, so we wanted to see more of how it worked but they did have a ot of interesting information about Walt Disney, the development of Epcot, and the addition of the SOarin ride. It was partcularly interesting to us because we were familiar with the original in California Adventure, and it is amazinf how they fit it into Epcot without building the area around it like they did in CA. They discussed the Erector set model for the ride mechanism, but other than the pictures as we left we didn;t get to see much more of the mechanism itself. They did talk about filming it, and how it took a lot of work and some CGI editing to get it just right. The Taj Mahal was the one area they coudn't fly over to get the shot, so tey had to work harder to make it look right. Overall it was very interesting, even if it wasn't as technical as we might have hoped.

This ride is usually a walk on. It must have been crowded that day.
Yes, it was one of the more crowded days of the trip. The crowds were building as we got closer to Presidents Day weekend.

The lounge looks great. Too bad you have to be a DVC member to enjoy it. :)
Yeah, it doesn't always look that empty. In September it was much more crowded, despite the rest of the park being about the same or quieter. It is interesting how the number of DVC visitors compares to park crowds overall.

We usually underestimate how long it takes us to get to a specific place in the world showcase. Getting from the BC to the American Pavilion always takes longer than expected.
Yeah, World Showcase is just big. Often we are over by Test Track before Teppan Edo, and it is a long way no matter which way you go. Walking via the UK from Figment would have worked ok, but the boat definitely saved some steps, even if it didn't save any time.

It was neat to see the underbelly of Soarin. I would of been in the same category as you that I would like to know more on how it actually works. My wife and I would love to see a return of Soarin over California.

New to Disboards Trip Reports, hi!
I love your TR! I enjoy how you both take turns with story telling and recapping your trip. Your attention to details is great! I am living through your story!

I'm sure this has been asked, so I apologize, but what camera lens are you using for the WL photos? They're gorgeous!

It was neat to see the underbelly of Soarin. I would of been in the same category as you that I would like to know more on how it actually works. My wife and I would love to see a return of Soarin over California.
Yeah, getting to take those shots was one of the tour highlights for us, necause that was what we had expected from it. It was still a lot of fun though. They did bring SOarin over California back to CA Adventure, so they have the capability. I bet it will return to WDW someday, but for now we are just waiting for anything to return to WDW.

New to Disboards Trip Reports, hi!
Welcome! You have found a great site to share a love of all things Disney. We particularly enjoy the food sections and the resort boards, as well as the trip reports!

I love your TR! I enjoy how you both take turns with story telling and recapping your trip. Your attention to details is great! I am living through your story!
Thanks so much! We appreciate you making such a nice comment. We love reliving our trips as well, and getting to share them makes it even better.

I'm sure this has been asked, so I apologize, but what camera lens are you using for the WL photos? They're gorgeous!
No problem at all. For this trip and the September 2019 one we used a Canon EOS RP mirrorless with its 24-105mm f4 lens. Before that we used our trusty Canon EOS 6D, but this camera is lighter and easier to carry in the parks, while still maintaining a full frame sensor. The low light performance of the EOS RP combination isn't as good as the 6D, but we are still really happy with it.

When we left off, we had just arrived at Teppan Edo for our lunch. Our pager went off immediately and we headed to the elevator, and when we got upstairs we were seated in the first room.

We had almost a whole table for ourselves, we were sat with a couple in town for Daytona.

They were very nice friendly Nascar fans. I think Disney was more her idea, but he was willing to go along.

I had been particularly interested in this lunch because it is always one of my favorites, but we had heard of a menu change where the Filet Mignon was only available as an add on. Thanks to Trip Report followers who had visited the restaurant since the change we knew we'd be able to get it, but weren't certain how the cost would work out.

I ordered the scallops but didn't share this time. We did get a volcano roll to share though, it was super yummy

I had no problem ordering the Filet Mignon. So the way they do the filet add on as an entree is they charge an extra $10 for the salad and noodles. So, the filet comes out to $39 where the regular steak is $34. Worth every penny to me.

The server was earning her ears and did have a bit of an issue with giving the DVC discount to a party of 6. We showed her that we had multiple blur cards, and she got her supervisor who said it was no problem. We did seem to see a lot of new Cast Members this trip, perhaps they were gearing up for busier times.

The chef was great! He was not in training and did a great job.

Our chef Tomo was amazing. He put on a great show and made lots of jokes. It is always a fun meal, but he made it even better.

My filet was exceptional, and still my favorite meat of the trip. I truly enjoyed it more then the Wagyu.

At the end of the meal they brought out a chefs hat and ice cream for me to celebrate my birthday. I played along, and the ice cream was really good.

They make a lot of noise when they sing happy birthday.

And it is not a little hat...

After lunch we went downstairs and shopped in the Japan store. Jon bought Mochi to try, which was interesting but definitely had a strange texture.

I was NOT a mochi fan. The texture was so off putting for me.

Then we went on and shopped at some of the art booths for the Festival of The Arts. We saw some neat stuff, including a Belle painting by Paige O'Hara but decided to wait.

Next we went to the Greg McCullogh booth and picked out our prints. After seeing them earlier in the trip we decided to get both the Epcot one and the Tree.

They are awesome and I love having them on the wall in the living room.

Jon and Brandy shopped for the large framed originals, but were not able to get both in the same frame size, so they bought the ones we did. Greg signed theirs, and Makayla, the Cast Member who rang us up offered to unpack our prints so that we could get them signed too. She was one of those exceptional Cast Members, and one we wrote an e-mail to Disney about. Greg was super nice, and even gave Allie a Haunted Mansion print and signed it.

He had a stack of them, and he asked her if she liked it and she said yes that she did so he just gave her one. It was super sweet, he's a really nice guy.

That was my favorite part of Festival of the Arts, meeting these really amazing artists and finding out they are super nice people too!

Then we continued around World Showcase to complete the loop. We got to the gift shop near the walkway to future world and Jon and Brandy headed back to the hotel.

We continued on, and saw the Epcot future preview room:

The Epcot preview was pretty neat, the projections were impressive. The weather was a little warm and it was pretty sunny out too so it was nice to be inside for a minute. It's hard to complain about the February weather but I do remember it being a nice break.

Then we continued on towards Mexico to go on the boat ride.

After Mexico we walked around a bit more, including through the China pavilion, then towards Future World where we checked out more art booths.

The Kincaid booth was insanely busy. People were lined up with paintings for signatures.

We decided to call it a day for Epcot and left the park at 5:46.

We got to the bus stop at 5:51, a bus came at 5:59, did a driver swap, and left at 6:04, arriving back to WL at 6:14, which was pretty good bus luck for Epcot.

After getting back to WL, we went down to the room for a bit. When we got back to the room, there were balloons on the dining room table. We were all surprised, and I wondered if it was another birthday thing.

After reading the card we realized it was from our friend in housekeeping making sure our trip was going well and to let her know if we needed anything.

That was super sweet, and another thing we wrote to Disney about. We then decided that Roaring Fork sounded good for dinner. We texted Jon and Brandy and they joined us.

I had a bacon cheeseburger and Melissa had pulled pork. We don't remember anything exceptiona about them, but Jon and Brandy had pizzas that they enjoyed more than the ones they got at the Grand Floridian.

After dinner we went up to the Mercantile to pick up essentials for breakfast in the room for the next day

It is always fun to check out the resort merchandise too. I didn’t buy anything this time but I did look.

We stopped at the front desk to get a an activity schedule to see what time story time at the fireplace was going to be.

It turned out they showed it for 8:00, which was just a few minutes away so we headed over there.

Another family showed up and they had two little girls. One of them stood up in front and told a story while we waited. No Cast Member ever showed up, but all the kids had a good time telling stories anyway.

The little girl did a fantastic job doing a retelling of Snow White. She was adorable.

After that we went out front to see the fireworks from there, but Marshall was being busy and scraped his knee while running around. He was tired, so we headed back to the room.

He didn’t scrape it too bad. Both kids were pretty tired and it didn’t take much to get them settled in bed.

About 9:00 I went back out and went to Geyser Point to see the electric water parade. I did catch the 9:00 geyser.

At 9:15 it was a 20 minute wait for a table for two at Geyser Point.

I filled my mug and headed back to the room, and then was in bed by 10:00.

I was either in bed or folding laundry. We did a load almost every day. I really love having the in room laundry.

It was a calm easy evening, but was perfect for this point in the trip. Check back for our next update, when we start our “free” day where we had nothing planned.

That tour of Soarin' sounds pretty cool.

Your tour guide used to be active here on the boards I think! I follow her on Instagram now and her job sounds like so much fun.

Another fun day! That filet does look good. We've never eaten there - maybe next time. If there is a next time..... your relaxing evening hanging out at WL sounds wonderful. It's such a beautiful resort it's nice you were able to take some time to just enjoy your surroundings. I'll be watching to see how you spend your free day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter