Sheraton Vistana Villages vs Sheraton Vistana Resort villas

I loveStitchnippyjon

DIS Veteran
We're planning a WDW trip in October and I am investigating on-site vs off-site. DD works at a Sheraton and had told me that DH and I can get employee rate, so that has BIG appeal. The thing is, the website kind of makes both the resorts sound a lot alike.
Has anyone experienced both? How do they compare? I know that the VV Resort Villas are closer to Universal than to WDW, but we will have a car and that isn't a deal-breaker.
Thanks for your input! :)

I've stayed at both (and I own at both). Villages is the newer resort in terms of building. There has been a major renovation project underway at the older sections of the Vistana Resort -- you might get a more freshly-renovated room at Vistana. My unit at the Vistana Resort was renovated over the past year. I've seen pictures and the results look better than the units in the Villages. I'm anxious to see it first-hand when I visit in a few weeks.

The buildings in the center of the Vistana Resort are very similar in design to what you will find throughout the Villages. There are many older-designed units on the perimeter of the Vistana Resort. In any case, both resorts have units with 2br, 2ba, kitchen/lr/dr, although they might be laid out differently.

If you're into pools and activities, the Vistana Resort is the better choice. I've experienced that there is more parking at the Vistana Resort in the older sections. The on-site General Store / grocerette at the Vistana Resort is better than its counterpart at the Villages.

The Villages still is a very good resort. The rooms are of good quality, relatively new, just as roomy as what you will find at the Vistana Resort.

Our friends are at the Resort right now and have a renovated room and say it is amazing. We are headed to villages next week and I called ahead and contacted Manager to ensure we are staying in St Augustine - newest section - and there is a new pool with pirate ship and waterslide. Also poolside bar. There are no photos of this on their websites yet.

I'll let you know how we like it. We did the timeshare at Villages 2 years ago and it was lovely!

We've also stayed at both...
They are both very nice, clean, well kept resorts and villas (at least the ones we were given). Like a PP stated, there seemed to be alot more going on at the "Resorts" than the "Villages". The unit we had at the villages was newer, more modern than the resort. If I had to chose, I would definitely pick the Resort because of the bigger pool(s) and the proximity to WDW. The villages seemed out of the way, and there wasn't much around the area (although that was a couple of years ago) The Resort seems to offer more, its much closer to WDW and there are plenty of restaurants, stores, gorceries, fast food....in the general vicinity. Either place will guarantee you a wonderful stay, but I prefer the Vistana Resorts. :thumbsup2

I just got back from a stay in a renovated room at Vistana's Fountains section. Very nice. As mentioned, parking can be a little tricky, but it wasn't too bad. Given Vistana's superior location relative to Disney, my sense is that it will be the clear winner for a Mouse-oriented trip once all the renovations are complete.

Be sure to request a renovated room---and understand that you might not get one if you are going in 2010. I called the resort about a month ago to inquire about the schedule, and not all sections will be done until February or March 2011.

I am also considering these two resorts. We stayed at Villages about 5 years ago and thought it was great, but it was our first ever visit to WDW and the details are a bit fuzzy, and it was middle of winter so we didn't really use the pool.
My recollection was that it seemed really FAST getting to WDW from VV. I recall taking a left (?) out of the property onto International, moving very quickly/little traffic, taking a right (onto World?), passing Caribe Royal on the right, and then before we knew it, we were driving under the WDW arches.
But, you all are saying Vistana Resort is closer? Is it also faster (as in not much traffic/stop lights)? Which way would you go to get to the parks from VResort?
Thanks!

From the Vistana Resort, exit the onto Route 535 south, proceed about 1 block (or two, depending upon your location in the VR), turn right at Rt 536. The only traffic light is at the Route 535/536 intersection but on right-turn there's a dedicated turning lane. I've made it door-to-door to Epcot in 7 minutes.

You're right about International Dr -- there's only the light at Vineland Rd until you get to Route 536. VV's only about 2-3 miles distant from the Vistana Resort. If you're lucky and there's not a lot of traffic on I-drive at the time, it's a quick trip. I've had to wait a couple of minutes to exit from VV left onto International Dr -- timing crossing 3 lanes of traffic and merging into 3 others coming south from Seaworld. Next trip I'm going to just turn right onto I-Drive north then take the turnaround.

Thanks wdwfan! Since so many comment that the VResort is much closer, I figured there was maybe a cut through out the "back" of the resort or something. But is sounds like from the Resort its basically the same, except that since Village is on I-drive which is a bit further east, you have an extra mile or two to drive west...but those miles are fairly free of traffic and lights.
As you mention, I can imagine that the worst part from Villages compared to Resort is that you have to take a left, rather than a right, out of the complex. But I'm with you, I would just turn right, and then do a turnaround rather than stress crossing the traffic.

If Disney offers Free Dining, my family wants to stay on-site. But if they do not, or if its only free QS, we've pretty much decided we will stay at either VR or VV. I'm leaning towards VV because it sounds quieter with less people around.

Hi:
We stayed in the refurbed condos in the Lakes section two year's ago and they were lovely. Does anyone know if the Springs or Palms sections have been started yet?

My kids love the pool with the slide but I can't remember which one it was!

I'm hoping that the Springs section has been renovated. It was scheduled to start in Feb 2009 and finish in June 2009. When I was there last March/Apr, work still had not begun on Springs. I'm headed to Springs in a few days, so I'll post an update when I get back.

As to the pool the a slide, it isn't in the Springs section. I believe it is in Spas (the pool behind Zimmie's restaurant).

Hi:
I finally remembered! It was the Falls Pool but if memory serves me it only slept 6 and we need one that sleeps 8!

Correct me if I'm wrong. Lakes and Fountains have been completely refurbished. Has any other area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter