ShellieMay, Slinky Dog, and the SCRUNCHIEST Thanksgiving Ever! - A Nov 18 TR *FINISHED! 4/28*

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
our story is about a theme park resort,
a large theme park resort,
and the hundreds of thousands of people who visited it for thanksgiving 2018.

it presents itself like so many other theme park resorts all over the world:
expensive, sparkly, and full of churros.

get closer, though, and you start seeing the abundance of pixie dust underneath.
the name of our theme park resort... is walt disney world.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f66654639463757466a4b564571513d3d2d3432303035323835392e313463343130313732633564396532393730383337393138323438312e676966

*clears throat*

Please excuse the Riverdale reference, I'm trying to get caught up after a crazy semester! A semester so crazy it called for one thing... A TRIP TO DISNEY WORLD! :woohoo:

Therefore, it is my pleasure to present to you without further delay:

enhance

My name is Kaitlyn, better known as Newsies here on the DIS, and this is my fifth trip report here on the boards! I am so excited to share this story with you guys, it was certainly one of the most exciting weeks we've ever had at Walt Disney World. We stayed at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort from November 18 to November 24, 2018. This was our first trip as Annual Passholders, and as always, we did utilize the standard Disney Dining Plan. In the short week we were there, we...

Celebrated Mickey's 90th birthday with him at Magic Kingdom!
Experienced a multitude of Disney's holiday offerings, like the Jingle Cruise and the Grand Floridian/Contemporary gingerbread houses!
Got to explore Andy's backyard for the very first time!
Had the wildest day at Animal Kingdom ever!
Enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at the California Grill!

... we laughed, we cried, we didn't want to leave. If any of you are interested to know any more about any of these things (or just want to know how we did all of this alongside all the CROWDS), I encourage you to grab your favorite Disney mugs and your refillable popcorn buckets.

popcorn::

Now that I've said "we" a few times, you're probably wondering who "we" are. To answer your question:

enhance

"We" are just another crazy Disney family of four from New Jersey, and this was our sixth Walt Disney World resort vacation. Years ago, I was the lone Disney nut, but then I infected everyone else in the family. Last year, we purchased our first Disney Vacation Club contract direct from Disney during our August vacation, and now we get to call the Polynesian Village Resort our home! This was our first trip as DVC members, and our first trip with Annual Passes! When we're not at Disney... we're thinking about Disney. And probably watching TheTimTracker or DisneyFoodBlog from the comfort of our living room.

Before we head into the TR, I'd like to introduce you all individually to the members of our party. First, meet Susan (mom) and Thomas (dad).

enhance

These are my parents (duh), and yes-- this year, they celebrated 25 "ears" of married life!

Mom works full-time in the real estate business, but she's a fuller-time Disney fan. She loves Winnie the Pooh, Magic Kingdom, and wine. Growing up, she went to Disney World with her parents all the time, and today, she works hard so that she can relax on vacation. She likes to sleep in, go to the pool during the day, and visit the parks at night. She's so funny, and she'd do anything for Grace and I. This woman wants nothing but the best for her family, and I'm so lucky to have her as a mother!

Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion
Favorite Character: Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Souvenir: Millennial Pink Spirit Jersey
Favorite Restaurant: Kona Cafe
Favorite Snack: Cheshire Cat Tail (Cheshire Cat Cafe)

Then there's dad. He works at town hall. This guy loves two things in this world: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, and Grumpy. He's a goofball, and this trip, he really got a kick out of the green aliens from Toy Story. He wears many hats in the family-- he's our main truck driver, suitcase coordinator, morning coffee maker, human alarm clock, and above all, he's our morale officer. He always has a kind thing to say about us and a word of motivation to share. This guy has a heart of gold, and no matter where he goes, he always makes a friend.

Favorite Ride: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Favorite Character: Grumpy
Favorite Souvenir: "I'm A Nervous Rex" tee
Favorite Restaurant: Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'
Favorite Snack: Rice Krispie Treat

Then there's Grace.

enhance

She's 17 years old, but still my baby sister. During my first trip report, she turned 13. A few weeks ago, she was accepted into her top choice college. I don't know a single person her age who works harder than her. She volunteers with veterans on the weekend, she's in the Italian honor society, and she's an editor for the school yearbook. As a hard-working and well-rounded society participant, there are very few ways she takes after me. Except for her sense of humor. She has a great sense of humor. She gets that from me. That's all me. :thumbsup2

She and I had so much fun together on this trip. We ended up bonding more than usual over the course of this trip, and the laughs never stopped between us.

Favorite Ride: Peter Pan's Flight
Favorite Character: Peter Pan
Favorite Souvenir: Slinky Dog Headband
Favorite Restaurant: 'Ohana
Favorite Snack: Brownie from Cap'n Cooks

And then there was one.

enhance

That's me, Kaitlyn. The Polynesian Village Resort's own Veronica Lodge. 21-year-old Disney parks fan, storyteller, sorority girl, small shop supporter, and perpetual worrier. Known on some parts of the internet (including my own blog!) as tinkerkait. I'm the planner for all of our trips, and I love, love, love Walt Disney World Resort. In 2016, I completed my first Disney College Program, and I'm hoping to go back to work for the mouse later on in life. There's a part of my heart stuck in Lake Buena Vista, FL.

When I'm at the Parks, I love to rope drop, character hunt, and take pictures with my Canon. I run on pixie dust and Joffrey's coffee, and I love to write about Disney-- these trip reports are like children to me! I encourage you to check out my blog, tinkerkait.com, but I can't promise it won't have some spoilers for this trip report!

Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Ride: Slinky Dog Dash
Favorite Character: Tinker Bell
Favorite Souvenir: Rose Gold Mouse Ear Headband Necklace
Favorite Restaurant: California Grill
Favorite Snack: Joffrey's Iced Latte

I have done a LOT of talking so I'm going to STOP now. If you've made it this far, thank you so much. I really appreciate you :flower3: Welcome to the trip report, we'll get started shortly!

Off we go!
:tinker:

Click HERE to start the TR!

Last edited:
MY TR QUEEN IS BACK BACK BACK BACK AGAIN!

BONUS-ru-excited.gif

I'm supes excited for this. You know you made me cry with every Instagram post. I need all the stories. My home and I have been a part for far too long. This is gonna be your best TR yet, I can already tell. I'M READYYYYYYY

tumblr_oe1eriimeO1rosb88o1_1280.gif

MY TR QUEEN IS BACK BACK BACK BACK AGAIN!

BONUS-ru-excited.gif

I'm supes excited for this. You know you made me cry with every Instagram post. I need all the stories. My home and I have been a part for far too long. This is gonna be your best TR yet, I can already tell. I'M READYYYYYYY

tumblr_oe1eriimeO1rosb88o1_1280.gif

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS!!! The Disney Kween makes her workroom entrance first, as usual.

tumblr_n9okeiVFCR1tyhdf6o3_400.gif

"My best TR yet" that sets the stakes super high... hope I can reach them! I'll do my best for you, my love. Your love & support is everything to me.

tumblr_inline_n1xy4wP5dF1s9xoho.gif

New to these Trip Reports....I'm intrigued and can't wait to read more about your trip. You look like a fun family!

:welcome: Welcome aboard to the TR and welcome to the TR boards! Thank you for your kind words-- I'm so happy you're here!

Hi! Joining in! I can’t wait to hear more about your trip

:welcome: Thanks for being here! I can't wait to update you!

Yay so glad you've started! Can't wait to read all about your trip!! :banana:

:welcome: YAY!!! Now that you're here, I can post the first update! Thanks for joining along as always, I always look forward to hearing your comments! :banana:

Here for it! Love your TR's!

giphy.gif

:welcome: Thank you so, so much! I really appreciate it!

YEEESSS!!! So seriously excited for this TR!!!!!

our story is about a theme park resort,
a large theme park resort,
and the hundreds of thousands of people who visited it for thanksgiving 2018.

it presents itself like so many other theme park resorts all over the world:
expensive, sparkly, and full of churros.

get closer, though, and you start seeing the abundance of pixie dust underneath.
the name of our theme park resort... is walt disney world.

This is actually the best thing ever. That is all.

I'm here. I love reading your TRs. :) You say the sweetest things about your family in the intros.

Pre-Travel/Travel Day Shenanigans
(This update might be a little longer, a little wordier, and a little confusing. Sorry-- I didn't know where to start the story!)

For those of you new to my TRs, my family drives down to Walt Disney World from Central NJ every year. It's about a 20-hour long drive, we break it up into two days. We leave late Friday night, drive until we get to Kingsland, GA on Saturday evening, and then arrive at the gates of WDW early Sunday morning. My mom doesn't fly, so we've been using this plan since I was born.

Normally I would start the TR on the Friday we leave, but I do want to back it up just a little bit further into Thursday because context is important in this case!

I go to school in NYC, about 45 minutes away from our home. While I do have a Friday morning class, I was able to get out of it for Friday, November 16, so that my dad could pick me up after my Thursday classes and we didn't have to worry about getting me home from school Friday afternoon. The weather channels predicted that there would be "some snow" Thursday afternoon, so we definitely wanted to make sure I was home before it got bad. If you read my PTR, you'd know that getting home this night was an ordeal. The roads were horrible because we got 6 inches of snow in a short period of time, and we weren't prepared for it. We left my dorm at 2:00, and got home shortly before 6:00. Our typical 45-minute long commute took us just under 4 hours. Even my mother, who works at an office 20 minutes away from our house, had a three and a half hour long car ride home that night. Thankfully, we all got home safe that night, and we shared a glass of wine and dinner together before going to bed that night.

ice-skating-charlie-brown.gif

In short: I was pretty anxious to start the drive down. We've only done summer trips in the past, so we've never counted on snow to ruin a travel day! I was worried we'd get more. Thankfully, we didn't.

Friday morning/afternoon itself was pretty boring. I was up at approximately 6:00 in the morning. We went to the post office to get our mail stopped for the week, dropped our dog (Roxie) off at Best Friends boarding, loaded up the car, got snacks from 7/11 for the road trip, and then mom, Grace, and I got our traditional pre-Disney mani-pedis. I got a dark purple color that I thought suited me.

Ds9bc63XcAA819m.jpg

We got McDonalds for dinner, and then I went to sleep. I usually stay up until we're ready to leave, but I had a headache so I laid my head on my pillow and attempted to sleep until 11:30 at night, when dad shouted out, "Are you guys ready to go?"

And I sprang up out of my bed and shouted "YES!!!"

By 11:41 PM, we were pulling out of our NJ driveway! :woohoo:

Our first stop is always the 24/7 Dunkin' in the town next door so that we can grab something to drink for the trip. It's usually an iced caramel latte for me, but since it was chilly in NJ, I got a Dunkaccino (half coffee, half hot chocolate) instead. Look who was waiting to wish us a good trip at DD!

Ds9bc62W0AEuGB7.jpg

Then the long, long drive began, fueled by Dunkin' Donuts coffee and a Pandora station of Disney songs. We only stopped two or three times before breakfast, where we found a Denny's in Virginia at around 6:00 in the morning. I wish I had remembered the exit it was on! It was quiet, the people were kind, and the food came out fast and hot. I got pancakes.

We kept driving until we reached South Carolina for lunch. After passing South of the Border (our favorite roadside attraction), we headed for the nearest Zaxby's. We always enjoy stopping at Zaxby's when we travel to Florida! We don't have it up in NJ, but I wish we did. Here it is, my plate of chicken glory:

Ds9bc61WsAEXCiV.jpg

I usually love Zaxby's, but I was less than impressed this trip. I may just not have been that hungry. :confused3

The drive down was honestly great. We were zooming down the highway with no traffic and felt so great, we contemplated driving straight down to Florida that night. We could have made it by 7:00, easily. Because we did have a reservation at Kingsland, GA, we ended up forgetting that idea, but we definitely considered it!

When we got to Georgia, we stopped at the welcome center. The Georgia Welcome Center was under construction the last time we went, but now, it's all finished up and shiny! Those of you who drive to Disney via the I-95 know that the Florida Welcome Center is the place to be... and now, the Georgia Welcome Center is also worth a visit! They have a bunch of photo ops and they were handing out free peach juice samples. Here's me with Forrest Gump. If you know why Forrest Gump would be relevant to Georgia, please let me know.

Ds9bc61X4AAoLke.jpg

At 5:00, we finally arrived in Kingsland, GA for the night! Every time we drive to WDW, we make a reservation at the Kingsland Fairfield Inn & Suites. It's clean, it's modern, and it's maybe five minutes away from the Florida state line. We really enjoy stopping there when we can.

For dinner that night, we went to Cracker Barrel. I had a cheeseburger that was just okay, and then we got pecan pie slices to go! When we got back to the hotel, I took a shower, then I had my pecan pie slice and went to sleep! :cloud9:

(Click here to continue!)

Last edited:
f you know why Forrest Gump would be relevant to Georgia, please let me know.

I am pretty sure that part of the movie is filmed and based in Savannah. I'm from Georgia, so I am glad you enjoyed my home state for a short time.

We always enjoy stopping at Zaxby's when we travel to Florida!

I love Zaxby's. It is one of my favorite fast food places.

I am also Greek. I am an Alpha Delta Pi!

I was sucked in reading along, scrolling and it took me a minute to realize the update was done. I'm ready for more - enjoying the tr so far.

I am pretty sure that part of the movie is filmed and based in Savannah. I'm from Georgia, so I am glad you enjoyed my home state for a short time.

I love Zaxby's. It is one of my favorite fast food places.

I am also Greek. I am an Alpha Delta Pi!

Oh, nice! You learn something new every day! My family guessed that he was taking the bus to Savannah-- I'll have to tell them the truth!

We also love Zaxby's! I'm a big fan of their buffalo wings, I wish we had some up north!

I love meeting other Greeks on the board!!! One of my coworkers from my DCP was an ADPi!!

I was sucked in reading along, scrolling and it took me a minute to realize the update was done. I'm ready for more - enjoying the tr so far.

:welcome: Thanks so much for being here, I appreciate the kind words! I'll update again soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter