She turned 3, but the DDP's Free, a WL Bounceback PTR

GrandCalifornian

Can't Wait To Go Back
Hi everyone! We're back at it after our trip report... We are so excited to be going back to Disney World this September that we are driving our families and friends crazy, they don't want to hear about it anymore. So... we thought we'd share our excitement with those who "get it". So let's get to it!

We'll do this PTR the same way we did our TR with Melissa in orange and Paul in blue. By the way if the text is the default color you never know who you're talkin to... Just kidding it's probably Paul because this is his username.

Here's how this trip came to be. We took our last trip with Paul's parents and had so much fun that we booked our bounceback with free dining while waiting for a bus at Epcot.

The details:

We are flying out of California on September 6th, super early in the morning and flying home on September 15th in the afternoon.

We are staying at WL again because we absolutely love it. We stayed at this resort for our honeymoon and picked it then because it was most similar to the Grand Californian at DLR in California, where we got married. We had an awesome honeymoon trip there, and when planning our second trip we wanted to make sure it would be as nice. It certainly was, and despite looking around at a lot of different resorts during our trip we felt most "at home" with WL and with the free dining bounceback offer we were able to once again justify staying there.

The cast of characters:

paul_melissa_small.jpg

Melissa

Hi, I'm Melissa, I'm 28 and I'm Allie's mommy. I work with my family which can get crazy (I seriously think we could have an awesome reality tv show) but I get to bring Allie to work with me so she doesn't have to be in daycare which is awesome! My job is mostly database administration stuff and data entry, Allie signs for UPS packages. I have a degree in Agriculture Science with an emphasis in Landscape Irrigation Design and I love animals and agriculture. My favorite WDW park is Epcot but that's followed very closely by Animal Kingdom. My favorite Disney character is Stitch and we even have a dog named Stitch! I'm a huge Perry the Platypus fan too!

Paul

I am Paul, a 33 year old Mechanical Engineer and generally a "car-guy". I became an engineer because I have always liked working on things, especially cars, and that sounded like fun for a job. I have always been very mechanical, particularly when it comes to building and working on our dune buggies. We have been involved in off roading since I was 5, and it is the single thing that has had the biggest affect on my life. Besides choosing a career based on this hobby, it is how I met most of my friends, including my best friend and wife Melissa. We actually played in the sand together as kids. My favorite Disney Movie is Cars (of course), my favorite character is Tow Mater, and my favorite park is Epcot (and not just because of Test Track...)

allie_small.jpg

Allie

This is Allie, she'll be three for this trip and she'll turn four a couple days after we get back. She loves going to "Mickey's House" and her first trip was at 7 weeks old. Her favorite rides are Small World and the Ariel ride at CA Adventure. She is also loves the carousel and Dumbo. Her favorite princesses are Belle and Ariel, it's a toss up who's going to be the favorite one day to the next.

Let the planning begin! Don't forget to post your TR link to the WL thread;). Allie is still soooo cute!!

Just checking up on you guys to see if you've been impacted by the brush fires:worried:

Let the planning begin! Don't forget to post your TR link to the WL thread;). Allie is still soooo cute!!
Will do! We hope to have some more info up here soon to make it worth the trip over from the WL thread.

Joining in! :goodvibes
Great! We're glad to have you following along.

Just checking up on you guys to see if you've been impacted by the brush fires:worried:
Aww, thanks for checking. We are fine, and the fires aren't that close. I know the national news coverage makes it look like all of Southern CA is on fire, but fortunately it isn't that bad where we are. Up in Ventura County it looks worse, but hopefully cooler weather will come in and they will get a handle on things.

Dining!

One of the parts of going to WDW that we love the most is the dining. We do the dining plan, and love getting to spend 10 days eating at a variety of different restaurants without worrying about what it is going to cost. The free dining bounceback offer what a huge motivating factor for us taking this trip. So, with that being said, where would we eat?

Looking back at our last trip, our ADR planning went perfectly. There isn't a single meal that we would go back and change. So, we could just go back to all the same places and be done, right? The problem is there are all the other places we wanted to go and didn't, so as we made our list for this year we ended up deciding to go all new, with one exception. (I couldn't miss out on eating at Trail's End, it is my favorite WDW restaurant.)

So, here is the list for this year:

Boma:
We really wanted to try this last time, and really like AKL too, so it was high on our list.

I really fell in love with AKL and am looking forward to trying some of the food there that isn't typical buffet fare, and oh don't forget the ZEBRA DOMES!

Ohana Dinner:
I think I've heard Paul refer to it as a meat fest a couple of times but I'm most excited about trying the bread pudding.

We've read great reviews of the food at Ohana, and who doesn't love meat on a stick?

Yak and Yeti Lunch:
I am looking forward to the atmosphere here oh and the fried wontons.

Last time we chose Tusker House, but it was a close call so this time we are giving Yak and Yeti a try during an Animal Kingdom day.

Akershus:
We didn't have any ADRs in Epcot last time, and we thought Allie would enjoy the princesses, so we decided to try it.

We'll try CRT when Allie gets older. I think this is a good oportunity for princess interaction while only using one TS credit.

Crystal Palace Breakfast:
We are both excited about getting into MK before rope drop, and the food sounds like it is great too so that made this the breakfast buffet to try.

I am super looking forward to trying the stuffed french toast (I imagine by now you might be catching on that I have a bit of a sweet tooth)

Mama Melrose:
This ADR was the last one on the list and won out over Liberty Tree Tavern and basically the rest of the restaurants in Epcot. We settled on Mama Melrose so we'd have an ADR in each park and so we could try something new. Plus we love italian food so I think it'll all work out.

We enjoy Italian food, and wanted to have an ADR at HS, so this is what we decided on. It was tough not to repeat Hollywood and Vine from last year but we'll give this a try.

Be Our Guest:
Not only is this THE new place to go and eat, but Belle is one of Allie's favorites and we think she'll really get a kick out of eating in Beast's castle.

I'm trying to come up with a cute Belle inspired dress for this dinner. Stay tuned....

Ohana Breakfast:
Melissa loves Stitch, and the breakfast here looks good. It is funny because last trip we decided we didn't want to stay at the Poly, but this time we'll eat there twice!

STITCH, I think that's all I need to say.
melissa_stitch.jpg

Trail's End:
Last but not least, we will be eating at Trail's End. I love the location, general lack of crowds, and most of all the BBQ Pork ribs. Mmmm.

I heard him talking in his sleep about these ribs twice this week!

And what's a post without a picture of Allie?
allie_superhero.jpg

Here is our little super hero, we are so proud of her this week, she's decided she's not going to suck her thumb anymore and she's really sticking to it. It's only been two days but I think she's gonna do it.

Next up: What do preschoolers love to do? SNACK!

One of our favorite things last trip was traveling around WDW and using snack credits on treats that we had read about on the DIS. We actually had a list of tings we wanted to try, and got to enjoy most of them.

For this year, here's our list so far, subject to additions!

LaFou's Brew - MK New Fantasyland
They have similar drinks here at Disneyland and at California Adventure but I think we'll try this for the first time in New Fantasyland.

Cream cheese pretzel - MK Launching Pad
I'm up for just about any pretzel, and this one sounds good.

Dole Whip - MK or Poly
dole_whip.jpg

The Dole Whip was probably the highlight of our Poly QS meal last time, and earned a spot on our snack list this time around. It is just so unique and refreshing.

Peanut Butter Cupcake - HS
butterfinger_cupcake.jpg

OK, so the picture is of the Red Velvet cupcake we went back to Staring ROlls for last year, but I have decided any cupcake from here has to be good.

Beniet - POFQ
We've had Mickey beniets at Disneyland but I've heard these are better, I can't wait to try.

Pineapple Cupcake - Epcot The Land
seasons_cupcake.jpg

This was our favorite cupcake of the trip last time, after some close competition. This earns it a spot on the list for this year.

American Dream - Epcot American Experience

Pretzel - Epcot Germany
This was my favorite snack of the trip last time. I love soft pretzels, and this one was pretzel perfection. It is a must-do on this trip.

Caramel Cupcake - Epcot Germany

School Bread - Epcot Norway
This is one we read about on the DIS before our last trip, and we enjoyed it then. It makes a nice quick snack for all of us to share.

Eclair - Epcot France

White Elephant Cupcake - AK Kusifiri
This looks so yummy in all of the pictures, I can't wait to try it!

Brownie Paw - AK Kusifiri
Paul loves brownies so I think he'll be all over this.
ETA: We have seen reports on the DIS that this is no longer available. We'll leave it on the list just in case until we can confirm.

Frozen Cappuccino - AK
This is something that was on last year's list and got missed. It might actually get replaced this year with a frappuccino from the MK, we'll see.

Zebra Domes - AKL
zebra_domes.jpg

We tried these last trip and fell in love with them. The are like a See's Bordeaux candy surrounded by white chocolate. Yumm! We might satisfy our appetite for them with our dinner at Boma, but I bet we come back for more.

Any other suggestions for snack credit must haves? Feel free to mention your favorites.

You guys just HAD to post this before dinner:faint:. You've given me some great ideas for new snacks to try:thumbsup2

Have you tried the chocolate covered pineapple on a stick from the Main Street Confectionary? DH loves it. We don't use the DDP, but I bet it's a snack credit. DD and I love the chocolate covered marshmallows on a Mickey straw there. But really, can you go wrong with anything there?

What outfits do you plan on making for Allie this trip?

WDWKOOK said:
You guys just HAD to post this before dinner:faint:. You've given me some great ideas for new snacks to try:thumbsup2

Have you tried the chocolate covered pineapple on a stick from the Main Street Confectionary? DH loves it. We don't use the DDP, but I bet it's a snack credit. DD and I love the chocolate covered marshmallows on a Mickey straw there. But really, can you go wrong with anything there?

What outfits do you plan on making for Allie this trip?

Oh those Confectionary treats sound great! Chocolate covered pineapple is going onto the list. Melissa is working on a sewing update, and we'll post that soon.

happybelle said:
The food choices look delicious.

My mouth is watering, and those are just the ones we had pictures of. After the trip we should have even more pics, if we remember to take them before we dig in...

We will be done there almost the same exact dates, Sept 6-14, also staying at Wilderness Lodge. DH and I stayed here back in 2008 for our 1 yr Anniversary and we loved it. This trip we wanted to be near MK plus my parents are joining us and really want to try staying here.

Anyways looking forward to reading about your plans.

luvfigment said:
We will be done there almost the same exact dates, Sept 6-14, also staying at Wilderness Lodge. DH and I stayed here back in 2008 for our 1 yr Anniversary and we loved it. This trip we wanted to be near MK plus my parents are joining us and really want to try staying here.

Anyways looking forward to reading about your plans.

Oh cool! Maybe we'll see you in the lobby or at Roaring Fork. My parents joined us last year and we had a wonderful three-generation trip. We had connecting rooms, which worked out well for us. We wrote about the fun we had in our TR that is linked in our signature. This time it will just be the three of us, but there is nowhere else we'd rather be staying. Enjoy your trip and hopefully we will get to say hello.

So I started my plan for the sewing I want to do for the next trip and I thought I'd share where I'm at. I start by making a list of our ADRs and special activities then decide try to come up with an idea for each one. I won't be making anything special for Mama Melrose or Boma, at least that's the plan for now.

The highlight of sewing for this trip is going to be Allies Bippity Boppity Boutique gown. Yes you read that right! I'm so excited about it. We are going to surprise her with a note from the fairy godmother and this new dress. She is really sensitive to itchy clothes so buying a dress in the parks isn't a great option, plus I know I can make one. I've done Belle before for her for Halloween and she's worn that one ragged so its kind of time for a new one anyway and this time I'm going to tackle Cinderella. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting the peplums right but I'll figure it out. I'm also going to have to find time to sew this in secret which might be the biggest challenge. Allie knows when I'm sewing its generally for her and she's always curious.
For our Akershus day I want to do a dress like the Mickey and Friends dress I did for Chef Mickeys last trip.
mickey_and_friends_dress.jpg

This time though I'll appliqué princesses around the bottom of the dress. I'm thinking light pink or light blue for the main color of the dress, I haven't bought any specific fabric yet for this one so I'm still looking.

Crystal palace has me a bit stumped. I have a couple of fabric options that I've already purchased I just haven't had an epiphany yet about how I'm going to put them together.
pooh_fabric2.jpg

For Ohana breakfast I'm currently working on two ideas in my head. One is to copy Lilo's dress which I think would be adorable and actually pretty easy. The other is to use the same pattern as the Bullseye dress I did for Hoop De Doo last time but switch out the cow print and bandanna fabric for a Hawaiian print and then do a Stitch appliqué.
bullseye_dress2.jpg

I might just make both dresses and then let Allie pick which she wants to wear to breakfast and she can wear the other one to our Ohana dinner.

The day we have lunch at Yak and Yeti we will likely be in AK most of the day so my plan is to do something inspired by the park. I bought a zebra print knit shift dress from Hobby Lobby that I was just going to put a Mickey head appliqué on but I'm afraid it might be too small by the time the trip gets here so I might cut it apart and re work it or come up with something totally new it will all depend how much Allie grows over the summer.

I have three options going right now for Be Our Guest although I started typing this and now I think I have an even better idea, that's just how it works sometimes. So my earlier ideas were a Beauty and the beast inspired outfit with appliqués, a cotton version of Belle's yellow gown but shorter kind of like a sundress, and a cotton version of her blue dress. What just came to me though is a jersey knit version of her blue dress she wears in the village. I think it would be super comfy and cute I would just have to find the right color fabric. Stay tuned for that one :).

I think in addition to all of this sewing fun I'd like to do another Minnie Mouse dress, she loved the last one so much and wore it a lot before we left and after we got home.

Melissa also found an embroidery pattern of the Wilderness Lodge logo, so I want a shirt! We're also thinking a woodsy themed WL dress would be pretty cute for Allie, but we're not sure she'd be excited about wearing it.

This is the fabric I am thinking for the WL dress:
wl_animals_fabric.jpg

So that's where I'm at. A lot of ideas right now but I haven't started anything yet. I hope to get the gown started soon though and I'll post updates as sewing starts. I've got less then four months to go!

OMG!! That Toy Story dress is to die for! I have two boys so I drool over girls things! :) I also love TR with little kids, since I have a 4 and 19 month old.

Join me on my PTR too- Second Star to the Right, And Straight On Till Morning... :)

We will be there that same week! We are driving overnight on Friday, Sept 6th arriving Sept 7th and staying through September 15th.

Hi! I just read your trip report ! Allie is adorable and your dresses are amazing! I wish I could do some for my Ellie!

I'm following along, looking forward to some ideas for our December trip!

I'm so glad that you started another trip report. I just love following along. :)

I love the description of 'Ohana as being meat on a stick, because that is what it was. We ate there in February and had a great time. The mistake we made was to go to Hoop Dee Doo the next night. Two heavy meat meals in a row was too much. But both were great.

I can't wait to see what dresses Allie is going to wear. That will be so much fun. I used to sew clothes for our kids and my daughter continued the tradition by making a Snow White costume that our three year old granddaughter wore one day in MK. It was cute.

966f7d9a-c85a-4c3a-b7c3-c79344e52ab2_zps7718bd93.jpg

She had a Cinderella costume, store bought, which she refused to wear to 1900 Park Fare, Cinderella's Happily Ever After dinner. I'm sure that Allie will love all the dresses that you make for her. :)

OMG!! That Toy Story dress is to die for! I have two boys so I drool over girls things! :) I also love TR with little kids, since I have a 4 and 19 month old.

Join me on my PTR too- Second Star to the Right, And Straight On Till Morning... :)
Aww, thanks. Paul's Mom only had a boy so she loves getting to dress Allie up too. We had so much fun at WDW before we had kids that we wondered how going with kids would change it, and we totally love it. Allie is just used to doing Disney stuff, and she has a ball.

We'll be sure to go over and watch your PTR too. Have a great trip!

We will be there that same week! We are driving overnight on Friday, Sept 6th arriving Sept 7th and staying through September 15th.
That's great! That week was so perfect last year, we were just amazed at the general lack of crowds. We wanted to go back as close to the same time as we could. Just 3 months, 3 weeks, and a couple days to go!

Hi! I just read your trip report ! Allie is adorable and your dresses are amazing! I wish I could do some for my Ellie!

I'm following along, looking forward to some ideas for our December trip!
Great, we're glad to have you here. Thanks for the compliments. The dresses are fun, and can be surprisingly easy.
We initially planned on going in December, and still would like to sometime. The resorts are so beautiful at Christmas time.

I'm so glad that you started another trip report. I just love following along. :)

I love the description of 'Ohana as being meat on a stick, because that is what it was. We ate there in February and had a great time. The mistake we made was to go to Hoop Dee Doo the next night. Two heavy meat meals in a row was too much. But both were great.

I can't wait to see what dresses Allie is going to wear. That will be so much fun. I used to sew clothes for our kids and my daughter continued the tradition by making a Snow White costume that our three year old granddaughter wore one day in MK. It was cute.

966f7d9a-c85a-4c3a-b7c3-c79344e52ab2_zps7718bd93.jpg

She had a Cinderella costume, store bought, which she refused to wear to 1900 Park Fare, Cinderella's Happily Ever After dinner. I'm sure that Allie will love all the dresses that you make for her. :)
:wave2: Hello there, we're glad to have you along for this trip report too. This time we're posting before the trip because we're so excited about the trip, and we know how great it is going to be.

Your granddaughter is adorable in that dress. There's just something special about a hand made Disney dress. It's just fun. We're glad she had a great time at WL. Allie is looking forward to playing on the bridge in the WL lobby and on the ramp to Roaring Fork. It is cute the little things they enjoy.

We're looking forward to trying more dining this time, and Ohana is going to be one of the big ones. We're skipping HDDR, but still will have some great meals at FW. Hopefully you get to spend some time there during your next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter