Sharing a bedroom on vacation

I have a different take on this vacation. What a great thing that your father treats you to a much anticipated vacation every year. Most people aren't so lucky and the bonus is that it is a family reunion/tradition type environment. This is not such an unusual situation but it is more difficult with your girls being older. You can do this. I would not say much to your father as he is so kind to be hosting all of you. Next year, you can revisit the space issue.

I will not make suggestions as to the best way to organize the bedding. I will say that for many years it was the norm that large families squeezed into very small cottages where I grew up in New England. It was the fun of vacation that mattered and you just put up with the "closeness."

Lay in the wine or your cocktail of choice and have a fantastic holiday!

Threehearts

OP here. Sorry it has taken me sooo long to update. Life gets so busy sometimes. So we all survived the 2 weeks. DH ended up taking off extra days and stayed the entire 2 weeks. A few wrenches were thrown into the plan. I forgot the toddler cot. Then we got there and the owner had moved the bedroom furniture around. Long story short, we stuck the dresser in the closet and put the twin size mattress on the floor. There was no way to create any kind of tent but DD13 was still perfectly content there. DH and I each got one of the twin beds. I was fine. DH, I don't know, I think he was content for the most part. DD10 and DD6 shared the loft bed. There were some complaints from mostly the 6 year old but she gets super crabby when she gets past overtired and would have done the same complaining at home, sharing a house. We took along a body pillow to act as a wall between the 2 of them. We used underbed storage bins and the dresser in the closet for clothes. If we do this again next year, I will either be taking more bins or one of those shelf things that hang in the closet. Overall, I think that we did fine for the 2 weeks. We did take a sound machine along so the girls were able to sleep in as needed. The only issue I think we really had was 2 kids on air mattresses in the livingroom for the second week. I feel like they didn't get enough sleep/privacy and did not fare well by the end. Things are still up in the air for next year as far as how long we are going and who exactly will be going but I think if we are going to have kids in the livingroom again, I am going to figure out some kind of cheap bed tent solution so they at least have privacy and maybe another sound machine to help drown out some of the morning noise. I have started looking at other arrangements for next year. But then if everyone breaks up with their boyfriend/girlfriend, we don't need anything bigger so it's frustrating to try to plan. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and words of encouragement!

OP here. Sorry it has taken me sooo long to update. Life gets so busy sometimes. So we all survived the 2 weeks. DH ended up taking off extra days and stayed the entire 2 weeks. A few wrenches were thrown into the plan. I forgot the toddler cot. Then we got there and the owner had moved the bedroom furniture around. Long story short, we stuck the dresser in the closet and put the twin size mattress on the floor. There was no way to create any kind of tent but DD13 was still perfectly content there. DH and I each got one of the twin beds. I was fine. DH, I don't know, I think he was content for the most part. DD10 and DD6 shared the loft bed. There were some complaints from mostly the 6 year old but she gets super crabby when she gets past overtired and would have done the same complaining at home, sharing a house. We took along a body pillow to act as a wall between the 2 of them. We used underbed storage bins and the dresser in the closet for clothes. If we do this again next year, I will either be taking more bins or one of those shelf things that hang in the closet. Overall, I think that we did fine for the 2 weeks. We did take a sound machine along so the girls were able to sleep in as needed. The only issue I think we really had was 2 kids on air mattresses in the livingroom for the second week. I feel like they didn't get enough sleep/privacy and did not fare well by the end. Things are still up in the air for next year as far as how long we are going and who exactly will be going but I think if we are going to have kids in the livingroom again, I am going to figure out some kind of cheap bed tent solution so they at least have privacy and maybe another sound machine to help drown out some of the morning noise. I have started looking at other arrangements for next year. But then if everyone breaks up with their boyfriend/girlfriend, we don't need anything bigger so it's frustrating to try to plan. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and words of encouragement!
Glad to hear it (mostly) worked out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter