Share your favorite race and/or medal from 2015

IamTrike

DIS Veteran
One of the local running club's has an event at the end of the year where everyone wears their medals so they can talk about races they've run during the last year.

I'd love to hear what your favorite race was from this past year and see your favorite new medal. It's always neat to learn about things other people loved and see races that offer cool bling.

My favorite medal came from Rocketman, my first half iron distance triathlon. It's not every day your medal is a solid piece of metal shaped and painted like a Saturn V rocket. The race is held at the Kennedy Space Center, and the bike course goes past all the NASA buildings, launch pads, etc. A very unique and fun event. You can read all about the race here if you're so inclined.

IMG_1063.JPG

As much as I enjoyed Rocketman, and I absolutely loved it, my favorite race was the up run at Comrades. The race was grueling, the training even more so, but the satisfaction at finishing and getting those two little tiny medals (they're about the size of a quarter) made it all worth it. I've written about that too if you really want to bore yourself today.

IMG_0254.jpg

image.jpeg
Here is my favorite medal of the year. I started running in 2015 and have done 5 races so far, it was hard to pick my favorite. I like this one because it is just so cute and colorful. The race was nothing special just a 6k through some neighborhoods. I can't wait for my first Disney medal at the princess 10k in February!!

Rock 'n' Roll Seattle 8K. Terrific distance.

Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver 10K with my son; he was whiny but we persevered, he finally believed me that we were not the only ones doing run/walk, and the course was very pretty.

Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver Half the next day; my very first back to back event, and even though my training was lacking, my stamina and endurance and strength were there (thank you yoga) and I stuck to my new-to-me 1:1 walk/jog ratio, and I felt pretty decent at the end.

All have very fun medals, including the "remix" 3rd medal from doing the two in Vancouver.

If only I had done the Portland 10K with R'n'R, I could have gotten a Sasquatch medal, too!

Fun! Well, I have always had a hard time picking my favorite of anything (color, song, etc.) so my answer is going to be multi-part.

Favorite race was a tie: Star Wars Half Marathon and Princess Half Marathon. It was my first time/race at Disneyland, and you just can't beat that feeling of running up the two Main Streets U.S.A. So awesome. Plus, having the 501st Legion at the inaugural SW Half was amazing, and I had my best Disney character interaction ever at PHM. I was dressed as Rapunzel and just stopped alongside the road to photograph the Heroes, Flynn saw me and shot me the smolder (swoon!). Totally unexpected and fun!
SWHM2.JPG PHM.jpg

But my favorite medal is this sweet beauty from the Space Coast Half Marathon in Cocoa, Florida. The course was a nice, flat one (and I PRed!), really beautiful residential road along the Indian River with a gorgeous sunrise. The residents were fantastic, lots of them came out to cheer us on and some had breakfast/mimosa/beer stations along the way! I'm a bit of a NASA nerd, so this was a perfect medal for me.
space coast.jpg

Attachments

• SWHM.JPG
    SWHM.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

I think my "I Run Evergreen Park" challenge medal. It came with a plaque showing that the first 5k race I ever did (walk/run, heavy on walk) was 42:00 and I shaved time off every run in my hometown until Sept when I hit 28:57 and 7th in my division. I just like that it shows that I decided to actually try this year and that I followed through. It's the one medal that kinda makes me a little weepy.
runevergreen.jpg

Second runner up would be my "tough pumpkin" medal because I carried a pumpkin during a mud run and crossed the finish with it intact and that's just insane for me.
runpumpkin.jpg

As much as I enjoyed Rocketman, and I absolutely loved it, my favorite race was the up run at Comrades. The race was grueling, the training even more so, but the satisfaction at finishing and getting those two little tiny medals (they're about the size of a quarter) made it all worth it. I've written about that too if you really want to bore yourself today.

View attachment 142038
That read was no bore. That race sounds intense. I don't know that puking several times after I finish would be a sign of a "favorite race"

View attachment 142046
Here is my favorite medal of the year. I started running in 2015 and have done 5 races so far, it was hard to pick my favorite. I like this one because it is just so cute and colorful. The race was nothing special just a 6k through some neighborhoods. I can't wait for my first Disney medal at the princess 10k in February!!
That's an awesome looking thanksgiving medal.

But my favorite medal is this sweet beauty from the Space Coast Half Marathon in Cocoa, Florida. The course was a nice, flat one (and I PRed!), really beautiful residential road along the Indian River with a gorgeous sunrise. The residents were fantastic, lots of them came out to cheer us on and some had breakfast/mimosa/beer stations along the way! I'm a bit of a NASA nerd, so this was a perfect medal for me.
View attachment 142076
Be careful, I've heard it's dangerous to be smoldered and run at the same time.

Space coast looks really neat.

I think my "I Run Evergreen Park" challenge medal. It came with a plaque showing that the first 5k race I ever did (walk/run, heavy on walk) was 42:00 and I shaved time off every run in my hometown until Sept when I hit 28:57 and 7th in my division. I just like that it shows that I decided to actually try this year and that I followed through. It's the one medal that kinda makes me a little weepy.
View attachment 142087

Second runner up would be my "tough pumpkin" medal because I carried a pumpkin during a mud run and crossed the finish with it intact and that's just insane for me.
View attachment 142088

Those are both great medals and stories.

Thanks for sharing everybody. I hope we get to see more.

My favorite race this year was probably the Disneyland half. It was a PR and made me think I could potentially qualify for Boston if I train hard enough.

My favorite medal is from the City of Oaks half. It's not over the top, but it's a decent sized spinner. I like the 10th anniversary goofy for the same reason.

IMG_3287.JPG

My favorite race this year was probably the Disneyland half. It was a PR and made me think I could potentially qualify for Boston if I train hard enough.

And if you train hard enough and give it all you have during the race, you'll qualify and possibly puke afterwards. I'd wager it'd still be your favorite race of that year. :)

I have a few faves from this year & luckily they are hanging close by each other. No 1 - the Tour De Pain that I ran with my best friend from h.s., she had just started running & she asked me To run with her as support. Really she was my support because she has done amazing this year and that race/s was an accumulation of emotions for me watching her complete this set of runs. (3 runs over 24 hours in August in Florida!)

The Expedtion Everest was the first race my dh & I ran together, we do not run well together. Lol.
The Sarasota Half medal is just huge (Dolphins)

image.jpeg

c87edfc8-2347-4d58-b988-54cc766e6ca5.jpg

^ That's the medal from my 5-mile Turkey Trot. It's a cute medal, but mostly why I love it is because of what the race represents:
1 - My first non-Disney race
2 - My first solo race
3 - My first race using walk/run intervals
4 - My fastest 5-mile pace ever (race or training)

Basically, this race was a big first for me, and I was so nervous for it, and it ended up being pretty good. I mean, not my most comfortable race ever (I struggled a lot), but it was a big milestone for me and I really enjoyed the race.

My favorite race of the year was definitely my first runDisney race - the Wine and Dine "half marathon." To this day I'm still bummed that it was shortened, I was so looking forward to the course and running through 3 of the parks, but it was a great experience and now it's a story to tell. And now it's just fueled the fire and I know I need to go back sometime to try another event.

My favorite medal would be the Wine and Dine medal, but it's a little bittersweet since it commemorates a half marathon that really wasn't. So I'd say my actual favorite medal is one from a local quarter marathon called the Rock 'n Sole that I did back in June. I don't have a picture of it handy, but it's a special medal because it was the first I've earned from a race and the race itself was the longest distance I had completed up to that point. :)

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
One of the local running club's has an event at the end of the year where everyone wears their medals so they can talk about races they've run during the last year.

I'd love to hear what your favorite race was from this past year and see your favorite new medal. It's always neat to learn about things other people loved and see races that offer cool bling.

My favorite race was the Raleigh Race 13.1 Fall Half. I was able to break the 2:00 barrier and set a 1:56 PR in just my 2nd half.

My favorite medal was from the Charlotte Race 13.1 half. It was an inaugural and I'm from Mecklenburg County "The Hornet's Nest". Even if I did tear the hamstring in mile 2...

image.jpeg

This thread really needs some b.a.a unicorn love in it.

10cqbl4.png

This was my first race, and honestly it was pretty much an epic failure on all levels which is why it means so much to me. It's important to learn and grow from the things you've struggled with and failed at so you can move on and be better. I actually cannot wait to do this race again in 2016 and complete it the way I should have the first time around.

My favorite race was the Richmond VA half marathon this past November. Best crowd support all throughout the race that I have ever ran. One neighborhood stood out in particular handing out everything from water, candy, soda, and even beer for the runners. They weren't an official race stop (or at least I don't think they are) and just did it because they enjoy it. The race was really well organized and a great course. Looking forward to doing it again at some point!

And if you train hard enough and give it all you have during the race, you'll qualify and possibly puke afterwards. I'd wager it'd still be your favorite race of that year. :)

Yeah. Puking or not if I qualify for Boston, I'll have a perma-grin for a while.

I have a few faves from this year & luckily they are hanging close by each other. No 1 - the Tour De Pain that I ran with my best friend from h.s., she had just started running & she asked me To run with her as support. Really she was my support because she has done amazing this year and that race/s was an accumulation of emotions for me watching her complete this set of runs. (3 runs over 24 hours in August in Florida!)

The Expedtion Everest was the first race my dh & I ran together, we do not run well together. Lol.
The Sarasota Half medal is just huge (Dolphins)

View attachment 142094

The Dolphin medal is really neat I haven't seen anything like that.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

My favorite race was the Raleigh Race 13.1 Fall Half. I was able to break the 2:00 barrier and set a 1:56 PR in just my 2nd half.

My favorite medal was from the Charlotte Race 13.1 half. It was an inaugural and I'm from Mecklenburg County "The Hornet's Nest". Even if I did tear the hamstring in mile 2...

View attachment 142115

Doesn't the Raleigh 13.1 end going up Lassiter Mill Hill? That's a tough run to PR on.

Space coast! Got my Milky Way challenge medal this year (by finishing 3/5 years of the Big Bang challenge)
That sounds really neat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!