Shanghai charging park purchases back to room?

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
We're touring other parts of China before Disney. I'm trying to figure out our money, as I will exchange at home and I don't want to come back with leftover and get hit on the horrible rate exchanging back.

I'm hoping while at Disney we could charge everything back to the room and pay with credit card when checking out (or like WDW charge when your total hits a certain limit). I have not had any luck finding an answer online if this is an option. I emailed Disney and they have been helpful on many of my inquiries but responded back to that question that I should call them. I don't want to attempt that with a possible language barrier.

Do anyone know if you could charge park purchases back to the room?

If that works it'll be our plan to get enough money exchanged to get us through China up to Disney (we are doing that last). I'll then pad it by adding an extra $200 US to that amount. I figure if I don't spend what I'm planning before Disney we'll already be going crazy with souvenirs so we'd spend our leftover Yuan there. And if we have run low on Yuan we'd just charge back to room.

I realize I could use my credit card in the park, but I'd prefer no to bother for every little purchase.

Also anyone know if they will ship store purchases back to the States from the store you bought at (obviously for a fee)?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about charging purchases back to the room - it's not something that I've come across on either of my trips. I found the best way for me to manage my purchases was to carry around a few Yuan for small purchases (and at snack carts etc which won't take credit card), then use my credit card for my main merchandise shops. They do offer incentives for spending more money, so it makes sense to make all the purchases you can in the one transaction anyway. Of course, different stores have different items, but I managed to limit my merchandise transactions to 3 or 4 over the 3 days.

As far as shipping merchandise back to your home, I have had success with this in HK, but haven't tried in Shanghai. In HK, I asked at the hotel, and they were able to provide a large box to pack everything into as well as organising the postage home. It was very convenient.

Shanghai Disneyland did not ask or offer me the option to set up a CC charge back to the room. HK Disneyland did, with the option of setting up a charge limit.
Like Zanzibar, I carried enough Yuan to cover my expenses at Shanghai.
The incentives/gifts that Zanzibar mentioned are worth keeping in mind. One of them was for a small Dooney and Bourke wallet/purse; if I bought 5 or 6 Pandora charms.

I did hear someone ask at a hotel if they could organise shipping back to the US. Based on the response I overheard, I'm pretty sure that it was standard post; not courier. Sadly, I can't remember definitively if that was at Shanghai or Hong Kong. I *think* it was at Shanghai.

Thank you everyone for your super quick response!!!!

Good idea on just carrying a little Yuan for the quick purchases like a snack . Pandora and Dooney are on my shopping list, so thanks for the tip about combining purchases.

I won't consider shipping stuff back as an option.

You can set up a CC for charge back to the room, but..... only for expenses incurred at the hotel. They charge you CC something like $300 and refund the amount you've not used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!