Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland March 17 – Day 7 Complete in Hong Kong Proper; 12/04

I'm home! And just caught up.

The same things caught my eye at the garden/temples! Those roof shingles I found out were all individually made! And the way they did the stone paving also fascinated me. Wished my photos of them were as good as yours!

The lilos would have been good to experience. I have no doubt that they will be extinct sooner rather than later. We experienced the "modern" Shanghai on the Pudong side where Mal's friend lives. And from the top of the SWFC, we saw the seemingly never ending cityscape. Near Mal's friend apartment block, a huge mall (of the outdoor type similar to American outlet malls) only took them 3 months to construct!!!

With regard to behaviour, we were informed that there was a massive push from the government to "educate" the people for the 2010 world expo in Shanghai. And when the government wants something, they are serious about it. The people were apparently "Educated" about lining up, not spitting, etc. Our guide mentioned that any "rude" behaviour are likely to be those from other more rural parts of China as Shanghai gets a large volume of local visitors.

And yay for Disney!!! We too loved our time at the Disneyland and glad we allocated time to enjoy the facilities. Thank you for capturing the beauty of the hotel so beautifully. The decorations for your mum are pretty full on!

I'm pretty sure we didn't show our passports on the first day for our tickets but I know our photos were taken at the turnstile. Actually we found out the next day, when we randomly allocated tickets and the photo that flashed didn't match the person, so she scanned all the tickets and we just entered in a file...

The most confusing part of the entire trip was exiting Disney train station and working out where the Disney resort buses left from. We went right and came to some bus carrels painted blue but there was a bigger bus interchange in front of us further back with orange buses. A security type person told us we wanted the blue buses - which made sense when one pulled up (at the "blue" painted bus stops). The orange buses we worked out later were "city" buses. The first blue bus stop was marked a bit confusingly indicating they were going to somewhere other than the resorts but the rows further along the line were clearly marked - one for Toy Story Hotel and one for Disneyland Hotel - so we waited about 15 mins for our bus to arrive. It was deserted being now around 5.30pm. This was a different spot to where the regular buses from Disneyland that went straight to the hotels left from. \

Haha! That was us. We caught the NON- disney orange buses...without paying. And only realised after getting off. And wandered why the bus driver looked at us in a funny way...

I know I've said it before, but you have such a great way of writing your TRs - the blend of text and photos makes them so easy and fun to read.

While, we loved our visit to China, to be honest, Shanghai was the area that interested us least. I didn't think I would ever have a urge to go back. Yet reading about your visit through your eyes, I am beginning to think differently. :goodvibes

That hotel looks gorgeous. My guess is that the person who designed the decor on the Fantasy and Dream had a big hand in this also.

Those snacks are pretty pricy, but they do look delicious.

Wanderlust we liked Shanghai the least too though Suzhou looks great from PIO pics.

Not having tasted PiO's gourmet version I can't comment - but we were hungry and they tasted good!

I wonder if we can find that place again!

When we first emigrated from England to Qld and "the bush" (so in 1973) we had a thunder box (outside toilet to all you non Aussie readers). It was a combined Post Office store with the old timber house attached. The "loo" was by the back fence, down a slippery grass slope, around 20 metres away. We were told "bang on the sides with the stick by the door so the snakes drop out of the ceiling and slither away" - yes seriously! The next morning Mum had us with the spades manually starting to dig a hole for a septic system. Not sure how long it took to get an indoor loo installed - I do remember using the outdoor one for a couple of months. Quite a difference for us Londoners! and yes I visited many a thunderbox over the next few years staying with farming friends and always banged the sides before entering - and yes I did see snakes slithering out once or twice and hearing a thud as they fell on several occasions!

OMG! I think I would have had serious constipation issues if I had to do that every time I needed to go!

It had taken us around one hour to do the journey. The bus left with us and one other couple and took about 15 mins driving around a maze of circling roads til we pulled up outside our hotel, Toy Story. So really it was easier than dealing with confused taxi drivers!

Timewise, I think it took us about 30 minutes with the taxi.

As an aside I wish we had had longer in the hotels to sample all the tasty wares

I wish the same too. We really squeezed in as much as possible to see a little more of Shanghai.

Umm what I am meant to be adding? Yes we were travelling light so we took the subway out to Disney. Cost us 6Y each (just over Aus$1). From the subway station nearest us (Yu Garden on line 10) my diary says we changed twice but it must have been three times looking at the map. Given we were travelling in peak hour the first part of our journey was a bit crowded but we just stood with our luggage. There were several routes we could have taken. I picked the one that looked the fastest. We went one stop to Nanjing Rd (where PIO and her Mum would have got off) then changed to Line 2 6 stops to Longyang Rd. The interchange between lines at Nanjing Rd I seem to recall was a bit of a walk. At Longyang Rd we took Line 16 2 stops to Luoshan Rd, all above ground and on a nearly empty train then finally Line 11 3 stops to Disney. At Luoshan Rd there was just one platform so no transfers needed and really easy. We only had a small backpack type bag each similar in size to a rolling carry-on bag which would have been just as easy to manoeuvre on escalators plus our "day" bags.

The most confusing part of the entire trip was exiting Disney train station and working out where the Disney resort buses left from. We went right and came to some bus carrels painted blue but there was a bigger bus interchange in front of us further back with orange buses. A security type person told us we wanted the blue buses - which made sense when one pulled up (at the "blue" painted bus stops). The orange buses we worked out later were "city" buses. The first blue bus stop was marked a bit confusingly indicating they were going to somewhere other than the resorts but the rows further along the line were clearly marked - one for Toy Story Hotel and one for Disneyland Hotel - so we waited about 15 mins for our bus to arrive. It was deserted being now around 5.30pm. This was a different spot to where the regular buses from Disneyland that went straight to the hotels left from. I presume this would have been the train station drop off point. We discovered later it was right next to Disneytown. It had taken us around one hour to do the journey. The bus left with us and one other couple and took about 15 mins driving around a maze of circling roads til we pulled up outside our hotel, Toy Story. So really it was easier than dealing with confused taxi drivers! and if you don't have a lot of luggage with you catching the subway (metro) is an option. Direct from the airport you would catch the Maglev to Longyang Rd (and pay the Maglev fare PIO paid) and then (for another 5Y) take line 16 to Luoshan and line 11 to Disney.

As an aside I wish we had had longer in the hotels to sample all the tasty wares PIO is showing above. We had the spinach quiche as a light dinner/snack from the Ballet Cafe and it was very delicious. If I find a pic I will add it later. We tried the very yummy blueberry and the nut muffins for breakfast from Toy Story Cafe (same as PIO's pics) one morning and two types of yoghurts (also good though noticeably dearer compared to our ridiculously cheap food elsewhere!)

Thank you!!!!!

I know I've said it before, but you have such a great way of writing your TRs - the blend of text and photos makes them so easy and fun to read.

Thank you. :blush:

It's been a while since I've written a Disney TR. Glad I still remember how!!!

to be honest, Shanghai was the area that interested us least. I didn't think I would ever have a urge to go back.

Shanghai didn't exactly grab me either. It was just a little too modern for my tastes. I did like parts of it; and will definitely want to go back to Suzhou and the French Concession.

My guess is that the person who designed the decor on the Fantasy and Dream had a big hand in this also.

Yes. It certainly looks like the ship lobby area, doesn't it?

Those snacks are pretty pricy, but they do look delicious.

Compared to the ridiculously cheap prices in Shanghai proper, it was highway robbery. No wonder the Chinese say it's very expensive to spend a day at Disneyland.

Wow! You are really on top of this trip report! I got behind! But I'm back. I love your photography! You do such a great job of composition and use creative angles. Always an inspiration!

Welcome back! And thank you. :flower3:

Hope to catch you and your gorgeous pictures on the photoboard!

I just want to say that this is an incredible trip report. So useful and informative and your photos ... Man. They are incredible. Truly. I am in awe, ma'am. :worship:

Welcome.....and thank you. :blush:

I'm off to Shanghai in September

I'm actually staying at the Sofitel so it's good to know not to have big expectations from the concierge. :hyper: I've got 5 days in total in the city and was planning to spend 2 in Disney and the rest wandering around the city and the Bund.

Glad the info is coming in handy for your trip. It sounds like an awesome trip and I wish you happy planning and happy travels.
The location of the Sofitel is great. You'll be right there on Nanjing Road.

I had planned on taking the Maglev from the airport but your experience has made me pause. I'm one of the whitest people in the world, I walk around like I've got TOURIST tattooed on my forehead and I don't speak any mandarin (apart from ni hao) so I'm a bit worried about being taken advantage of. I think that my hotel does a meet and greet service so I'll look into seeing how much that costs.

I would still recommend the Maglev. It's a very convenient way to get closer towards downtown Shanghai and all you have to do is keep walking and ignoring everyone.
Perhaps the Sofitel could do a meet and greet at the Longyang Road Train Station?

Can I ask, I know that there are scammers in the city but did you ever worry about pickpockets at all? I've got a good bag with an inside zip that hugs close to my body and I can get a money belt but I'm a bit wary given that you need to take your passport with you to the parks.

I actually didn't worry about pickpockets. In downtown Shanghai, I left most valuables and the extra cash in the room safe. If it's the same in September, you'll probably notice a lot of police/security about in Nanjing Road. Even at night. I headed back to the hotel by myself on the night that Wendy, her DD and I went to the French Concession and will admit that I was a lot more alert about who/what was going on around me...just in case.

In Disneyland, it didn't even cross my mind. I kept my passport inside my camera backpack and because it was in an inside pocket, my wallet and camera would have been more likely to be taken than the passport.

Pio - I haven't had much time lately to keep up with this TR (or your Facebook posts), but I wanted to make sure you know I am in total awe of the photos and your commentary! What a fabulous trip! :goodvibes

I have to add, your mother is absolutely adorable! ::yes::

:wave: Glad you found time to stop by again!
Hope you and DH are well....and don't worry about it. I'm having difficulties keeping up with anyone on FB!

Thank you! :blush:

Catching up....again....Just glad that Fran went to bed as soon as we got home tonight, so that I could look at my computer without her evil eye looking over my shoulder.

Just tell her that she needs to also read this TR. She certainly looked at the condensed version on FB; so tell her I've got a lot more detail here....and more pics! :thumbsup2

on my phone and was discouraged I couldn't really make out the photo

Dang it! I've been trying to not overload the editions with too many pictures because I know you have trouble downloading them all on the phone. Oh well.

OK, now I KNOW that I have to do a TON of research on China before we go to Shanghai. I'm sure Fran thinks we're just going to Disney, but I'm not flying all that way and not seeing the other sights!

And this further cements that I need an English speaking guide to tell us what we are seeing!

I think if you do the research on what things to see and then get an English speaking guide, they should be able to fill you in on all the history and details.

If the scooter could even get into that place, this would just kill the battery!

Hmmm. A friend of mine was heading to China over the Easter break. She was taking her mother and they were going to hire a wheelchair (the push kind; not the motorised version). If I catch up with her, I'll ask if they went to Yuyuan and if it was easy to get around with the wheelchair.

I'm thinking that there are some sections where it will be very hard to get the scooter in. Plus...some of the rooms in the pavilions have a threshhold rise which will make it impossible for the scooter to enter. The rise has got something to do with a Chinese belief that you should cross a threshhold; not walk on it.

I'm wondering with all the beautiful architecture that you are seeing if you get to overload like we did on our SW Roadtrip

I did get to that point at the Yuyuan Gardens. There was just so much to see everywhere.

Yes Michael I'm calling you out! :laughing: He's interested in your trip as well. I'm also taking advantage of the fact that Fran is still asleep and I'm not!

:wave: Hi Michael! Hope you're having fun lurking!

Those noodles still look good. I'm still craving noodles!

I've been craving noodles since I've come back. I might have to go visit a Shanghai eatery at the weekend and get some Shanghai style noodles!

With the recent US/China developents I believe we are going to heck in a handbag. But I don't want to be banned from the DIS so I won't say anything further.

What with me having to truncate a certain word; and then posting about Bacchus and debauchery.....and now you......I'm certainly on a roll with this TR!!!! :rotfl2:

Let's see....that's us covering off profanity, s-e-x and now politics!!

:scratchin I wonder if there are any mods out there lurking?????? :angel:

Seems like most of these attractions are very affordable.

Yes. Although....I don't know if it's worth you and Fran heading into the Old Wall in Shanghai. There are stairs to climb and no elevator for the scooter.

I'm home! And just caught up.

Welcome back!

The same things caught my eye at the garden/temples! Those roof shingles I found out were all individually made! And the way they did the stone paving also fascinated me. Wished my photos of them were as good as yours!

I'm sure your pics are as good as mine. I remember your photos!

BTW - that reminds me. Could you PM me your blog again? I inadvertently lost a whole bunch of info as a result of either FB killing my previous username and/or getting a new laptop and forgetting to migrate all my links.

With regard to behaviour, we were informed that there was a massive push from the government to "educate" the people for the 2010 world expo in Shanghai. And when the government wants something, they are serious about it. The people were apparently "Educated" about lining up, not spitting, etc. Our guide mentioned that any "rude" behaviour are likely to be those from other more rural parts of China as Shanghai gets a large volume of local visitors.

That would explain why we found the Shanghai people rather courteous. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty sure we didn't show our passports on the first day for our tickets but I know our photos were taken at the turnstile. Actually we found out the next day, when we randomly allocated tickets and the photo that flashed didn't match the person, so she scanned all the tickets and we just entered in a file...

FWIW, our taxi fare back from Disneyland Hotel to our hotel in Shanghai (in Pudong area near Pearl Tower) cost us 100RMB per cab. We left at around 3:30pm on a Thursday

Excellent intel! Thanks for sharing.

For anyone interested, Aussie Wendy has started her TR!

Link here or head to the "Other Lands" section on the Dis. You should find it there.

Hmmm......Wendy tends to write quicker than me. Hope I can keep up with her!

At concierge, you’ll need the reservation confirmation and your passports for everyone in the room. The Cast Members will check your passports to make sure that there is a China Visa in your passport. Apparently, it is Government policy that they do that at every hotel you check into.

Wow, that's very big brothery of them.

I don’t know what would happen if we didn’t have our passports with us.

I don't like having my Passport on me. I'd probably activate the ticket, and take passport back to the room.

We also got a towel cake. This one made it home intact in my mother’s bag.

:eek:

The hotel lobby looks nice, but not overly Disney.

We were told "bang on the sides with the stick by the door so the snakes drop out of the ceiling and slither away" - yes seriously!

Triple :eek:

I think if you do the research on what things to see and then get an English speaking guide, they should be able to fill you in on all the history and details.

What I want to know is a basic history of the Dynasties, overall historic time line and such. All we ever learned about China (at least in my education) was Mao Tse Tung = bad, Nixon good, until he went bad.

I'm thinking that there are some sections where it will be very hard to get the scooter in. Plus...some of the rooms in the pavilions have a threshhold rise which will make it impossible for the scooter to enter. The rise has got something to do with a Chinese belief that you should cross a threshhold; not walk on it.

She knows that lots in foreign countries will not be scooter accessible, so she can make the decision if she wants to see I bad enough to get up and climb the steps.

Yay! Now I'm caught up (for now).

The location of the Sofitel is great. You'll be right there on Nanjing Road.

Oh smashing! I was going backwards and forwards about what hotel to choose but I wanted something with a good location.

Perhaps the Sofitel could do a meet and greet at the Longyang Road Train Station?

Good idea. I'll look into it. I do want to take the Maglev (I did bullet trains in Japan and they're all amazing - well, compared to the rubbish trains we have in Britain ...). I'm also keen to save some money as well.

I actually didn't worry about pickpockets. In downtown Shanghai, I left most valuables and the extra cash in the room safe. If it's the same in September, you'll probably notice a lot of police/security about in Nanjing Road. Even at night. I headed back to the hotel by myself on the night that Wendy, her DD and I went to the French Concession and will admit that I was a lot more alert about who/what was going on around me...just in case.

That's a relief. Thank you.

Looking forward to reading more. :grabby hands:

1F

Wanderlust we liked Shanghai the least too though Suzhou looks great from PIO pics.

In all fairness, I realise now that the time we spent in Shanghai was really rushed (from memory only about 1 full day in Shanghai and one in Shuzhou) and I see from this trip report that there was a lot we didn't see or do. Plus it was our final stop on a whirlwind tour of many parts of China and I remember feeling like I was ready by that stage for a full day nap. :faint::rotfl:

At the end of the day though it was seeing the history (in places like Beijing and Xian) and the small town life on the Li and tributaries of the Yangtze that really fascinated hubby and I.
The wonderful thing about China is that it offers so many different experiences in one country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter